You don't have to go - strategies to protect your sobriety

I’ve found, for me, going in with my mind clear and with confidence, these situations are fine. I think they may seem very challenging for a person who is very anxious beforehand or who feels alcohol has power over them, perhaps - not making assumptions about anyone else. I’ve affirmed where I am at and so, for me, see no need to avoid situations. Glad you enjoyed your time with your friends. Hopefully that adds more confidence for your next social function.

2 Likes

The only situation that I haven’t seen discussed here is as the newly (or even not so newly) sober spouse of someone who has a work function and feels pressured to bring their partner. I have been through this many times. It can be a tough spot, because I have wanted to be supportive especially when he was new in a job or like now when he is new to a managerial role. First of all, I really despise being the plus 1 and having to small talk with strangers (UGHHHH), and over the years we have negotiated early departures and scheduling conflicts, etc. Those are all great options. But having an honest conversation with my spouse about how these functions are painfully awkward and at times quite triggering is important to me so that he knows it isn’t just about not wanting to go, but that it is not a healthy move in maintaining sobriety or good for my recovery to go, and then planning accordingly.

8 Likes

Great post! I needed to read this. I’m only 8 days sober and hadn’t even thought about how to handle the parties/holidays. I’m everyone’s favorite party girl that is SO much fun. Even when I try not to drink people are pouring the drinks for me. I simply can NOT be in that situation and stay sober.

8 Likes

You and I may have twin personalities

2 Likes

I really needed to read this. Thanks

3 Likes

Great thread! I added it to the Frequently asked questions about sobriety for newcomers!!

3 Likes

Wow this was perfect timing for me to read today, thank you!!!

5 Likes

Bumping this up, as its that time of year again, also to add:

Don’t let anyone, especially yourself, convince you that you HAVE to do something or go somewhere for the benefit of someone else. You are your own person and are free to do, or not, whatever you feel YOU need to do.

10 Likes

Needed this. Thank you. You’re absolutely right and we should not feel guilty for our decision

2 Likes

Bumping this thread. Great info for everyone!
It doesn’t matter if we have 1 day or 1,000, our addiction is outside doing push ups just waiting for that opening to pounce.

5 Likes