Your opinion?

Hi! I’m almost one month sober now, but Ive replacement beer for 0% alcohol beer and still drink a lot of that, what is your opinion on that? Should I not be doing this? And if not, any tips on how to stop?

4 Likes

I tried the same with wine. It did not work for me to replace wine with non alcohol. In the beginning yes, but it was not good enough and I ended up relapse. With non alcohol wine I Just kept feeding my problems.

2 Likes

Back in 2012, right after my first rehab I did the same. It didn’t work out, since the intention was still replacing the real stuff. Eventually it became the real stuff again. Now I even check when I drink something with flavour if I’m doing it with the right intentions , for the rest I stick with sparkling water.

2 Likes

Just my opinion… it didn’t work for me. It was playing with fire… sooner or later I had a real one. Sparkling water works well for me. Non alcoholic beer came with a price of being around alcoholics… and notice… you said you drank a lot of them…

2 Likes

I personally relapsed twice while trying the NA route but all people are different. I would suggest finding a healthier beverage though. I really like AHA waters and it gives me carbonation which i crave.

1 Like

If it works for you and you can drink it without returning to alcohol then great - no need to feel like you are doing anything wrong.

If it does lead you down the path of alcohol abuse again, then don’t make the same mistake twice. It’s a simple as that :blush:

2 Likes

Whenever I drank AF beer I would end up relapsing. Didn’t work for me at all.

1 Like

It’s a No from me

But whatever works for you :blush:

2 Likes

I’m with @SoberGuyUSA on this one.

2 Likes

Welcome
Marjolein

There’s a lot of good threads about this topic.
Alcohol free beer - yes or no? Here’s one. You can search using the magnifying glass up above the top right.

But for me, I’m afraid of drinking non alcoholic drinks. I’m afraid my addicted brain will be yelling at me
GIVE ME WHAT I WANT! so I’m happy with sparkling water and lemon.

My recovered son drinks them once and awhile. Doesn’t seem to bother him.

:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

For me, I stayed away from it. 1) I am almost certain it would lead me right back to the real stuff, 2) for me, getting sober took a whole life change.

3 Likes

I kinda see it as playing with fire especially in early recovery. The addiction demon will trick you back into the lie of ‘you’re missing out on fun, relaxation, etc’ because it knows deep down you are craving the real thing by drinking NA. Stay strong Fam

2 Likes

I drink it occasionally when going out, with no relapsing. Relapsing is merely a polite term for you wanting to drink again

1 Like

Personally. N/A beverages have helped me stay sober. Having N/A beer or cider has eased the awkwardness of socializing when others are drinking.

1 Like