Your worst excuse to drink?

After being sober for a week, I realised that i had one excuse that I always kept going back to so I had a reason to drink. My excuse was “getting drunk makes you more creative”.
Now that I’m observing my habits from a way more critical perspective, I realized that this excuse was quite false and dumb.
First of all, when I get drunk, even slightly, my motorics seem to decrease to level where I can not play guitar (I especially like playing by fingerpicking, so decreased motorics affect immadiately) as well as when being sober. I also like drawing, it’s not my special field but still enjoyable way to spend time and express my inner thoughts. When drunk, I always end up adding some unnecessary on my drawings which then end up tossed in a trash bin. Therefore, I think it is now justified to say that alcohol does not increase my creativity - feeling otherwise just an illusion because I perhaps do not always know how to relax when sober and therefore I’ve got a habit of getting drunk, even if it is obvious that it significantly lowers my mood and wellbeing on a long run.
I also enjoy books a lot but alcohol makes reading uninteresting and unworthy, being buzzy and having difficulties with short-time memory all time. I’ve also noticed that I can not really read books being hangover either.
But right now I feel hopeful and motivated on getting free of being enslaved to toxic solvent and trying to find The real Self of mine, who does not need comforter when trying to express himself.

17 Likes

Just one. :scream:

6 Likes

A ’ couple.’
In my case it would end up being a couple of bottles!

3 Likes

I am stressed

6 Likes

I can never have just one. Or a couple, yes, maybe a couple of times. Then I’d be back to where I was and worse. Never again.

2 Likes

I can control it, besides I can quit again if I can’t handle it.

9 Likes

Same here. The way how you play yourself and keep telling youself that “it is okay, I can have couple and it’ll only be fun” is something scary and crooked. And as you said, you can probably do it once or twice but that won’t be worth it because another overkill will always be around the next corner.

6 Likes

Same here!

1 Like

I went 6 months and felt fab then my brain said you can handle it, within 2 weeks i was worse than i was before, a friend of mine fell off the wagon after 15yrs and the same happened to him, the thing we need to face is that we crossed the line and are now allergic to booze, i do a lot of things that are great but booze isn’t one of them

11 Likes

Because “fuck it”

13 Likes

Oh yeah, that one got me a bunch of times.

2 Likes

Drinking takes my social anxiety away.

7 Likes

Same! And it makes me feel less fearful.
Instead of finding what causes my fear I kept on drinking :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It makes everything good or bad, so much easier and care free.

4 Likes

Alcohol “helps” my anxiety. I used to get all knotted up inside and I thought the only way to reset myself was to get very stinking drunk to clear my mind. I called it my reset and told others it helped clear all my stress for a day or two. Then the pattern would reset. Stress builds, I drink to numb myself.

Now, I don’t get all knotted up anymore, that feeling was probably the beginning of those horrible anxiety hangovers I got towards the end. Alcohol never helped me relax or deal with anything. It just numbed my brain to “help” me get through life. I don’t need a numb brain sober. I need to feel it all, see it all and experience it all sober. Good topic and just what I needed before my family Christmas. Keep at sobriety, it gets better and better.

6 Likes

Didnt need excuse to drink just did it

11 Likes

I think all of my excuses were pretty bad lol i couldve been happy, sad or anything in between. It couldve been the best day of my life or the worst. Sunny out or not, any day of the week. Really didnt need an excuse back then lol but if i had to pick one… it wouldve been my “F” it attitude.

7 Likes

nothing else to do/ boredom

7 Likes

Because “why not? YOLO!!” :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

My worst excuse: I’m a veteran. I fought in a war. I earned my right to drink as much as I want.

11 Likes