1st day sober, scared, worried, and overwhelmed

i recently had 8 months sober, i had a drink on fourth of july to celebrate with my family and ive completely relapsed. I haven’t had a sober day since and dont even know where to begin. I am also a returning college student and have worked very hard to transfer to a prestigious University but my drinking is hurting my grades which will effect my overall all gpa and ruin my chances. I Need help fast.

3 Likes

1st day for me too. I’ve got a gig tomorrow and have no idea how I’m going to get through it.
What are you studying?

3 Likes

You’re here, that’s what matters. You might find this thread helpful:

There’s so much support here. Search, read, reach out when you need to. Welcome :blush:

1 Like

Thank you and good luck on your gig, i am studying sociology

Thank you very much

Maybe you could use your knowledge of sociology to hack your perception of alcohol use.

Great advice, i truly wish it was that easy. Drinking was and sorta is my guilty pleasure that goes against all my better faith, judgment, and knowledge and yet i still do it, but now the issue is its not a pleasure and im simply struggling to stop.

Do you drink socially or alone also?

There’s a book called This Naked Mind which I found really helpful in shifting my perception of alcohol. I’ve also seen Allen Carr’s book, The Easy Way to Control Alcohol, recommended. Worth a try!

2 Likes

Do the opposite that makes you drink! Change your routine completely!!! Keep your brain engaged in in healthy addictions! That’s been my model… if I don’t feel like walking, I walk! You get the point! It develops the discipline you need to take hold of the reins. Some people need a program to stay focused. Do what works for you!

Once you get some sober time under your belt, you’ll see how much better you deal with life, stress and anxiety.

Make it happen! It’s your life!

Thank you, i will look into both

The majority of my drinking is mostly alone at night to unwind as i am a pretty wound tight person.

3 Likes

I just did, thank you for the firmness

Thank you, i like that you said do the opposite, i think those words were ment me.

Its been 13 days for me what’s helped me so far was vitamin B1 and daily meditation and checking my bank account on how much I’ve saved,and the reminders of all the foolish things I’ve done because of the “Spirits” i ingested .

3 Likes

Welcome I’m glad your here. I was going to suggest the naked mind book as well. It really helped me put why I drink into perspective. I also had to keep very busy those first one or two weeks. Cook clean draw walk exercise mediate whatever just stay busy. Take your vitamins. Pray for help even if you don’t believe, like on your knees praying. Educate yourself on alcohol. Come on here often. Find a replacement drink. I used bubbly water. (I’m a Former beer drinker) I also didn’t temp fate. No going out with friends who drink. No parties. No stores that sell booze. No going out to eat where there is booze. I stayed home A Lot. Went to AA meetings. But you know what? Those cravings went away after a short time. I found new healthy habits and I’ve been free of alcohol over 490 days. Never thought I could do it but here I am. Life is so much easier. You can do this. Remember, your not alone.

5 Likes

Thank you for the great advice and kind words.

2 Likes

I have made it my first week sober!

10 Likes

That’s fantastic☺

1 Like

Thank you, its one small step into the right direction.

1 Like