2019 Hiking Club (Walking Sober)

If I’m doing my American math correctly, that’s like 46 miles- lol! :open_mouth: How many days will you have to do it? The most I’ve done in 1 day ever was 12 miles.

Yea that’s about right. It’s a 24 hour thing - I did 35 miles in 13 hours last summer so that feels pretty achievable although I need to get onto some serious training to get ready for it!

6 miles today, need to step up the distances but there’s still plenty of time and it will get easier as the weather improves. Very windy out with a mix of sunshine, rain, and a short but sharp hail storm.

I really love walking in the wind (when it’s not raining/hailing), it just feels so refreshing. Blowing all the cobwebs away!

6 Likes

Wow! That’s impressive!

1 Like

Helped lead a few mile coastal hike today with some of our visitors around Carmel by the Sea.

6 Likes

Amazing shots!

1 Like

Wow! What a awesome surrounding, would love to walk there! Despite my afraid of hights :blush:

1 Like

This was intended to be a run, but strong head winds and nagging hip issues made it a hike instead.

4 Likes

2 mile sunset hike with the kids :blush:

5 Likes

Not a hike as such, but a nice plod about with the dog. It’s a bit windy but the sun is shining and it feels like spring has sprung!

1 Like

Got 12 miles in today, you will see mile 3 was pretty slow, I met some horses and cows which slowed me down. I’m not really sure how to deal with them and they are big so I err on the side of caution! One of the horses was pretty friendly and gave me a snuffle so that was nice.

2 Likes

Just hiked with my spouse and my two oldest kids in “De Drunese duinen”. It’s like walking on the beach without the sea :wink:

3 Likes

Oh wow that’s so cool!

1 Like

Oh my! Was Lady with you? :rofl:

This happens to us in the east hills from time to time. It’s funny because they’re not really a big deal if you give space and don’t get between them. But when you see a whole group in person they’re still dang big and intimidating looking!

Fortunately Lady wasn’t with me as I think with the cows that could have been stressful! There must be something about me because both the cows and the horses came right up to me.

One of the horses was friendly but one was quite skittish and kept trying to turn side on to me (I used the friendly one as a bit of a barrier). Eventually they realised I didn’t have any food and ate some grass, and I could go past. The cows followed me across the field, they didn’t get too close but close enough that if they ran at me I wouldn’t have been able to get away. And once I was over the stile and walking with my back to them at normal speed one of them did try and ram the fence. They’re buggers :joy:

3 Likes

15 miles today. The walking route was pretty hard, a couple of steep hills and then lots of farm land which had really uneven ground (and was boring to walk through). My favourite bit was at the top of the second hill, got a real king of the world feeling up there.

4 Likes

Won’t be getting a big walk in this weekend but have been moving about as much as I can. Had a very contemplative couple of miles this afternoon.

Not sure how well it comes out but beyond the field of rapeseed there are some factories and also some wind turbines. It got me thinking about old and new.

I was walking to a belly dance workshop and that’s my main social life these days. I really enjoy it as a hobby and the ladies are lovely, but since I moved away from my home town I haven’t really made friends in the same way. I miss my old social life, partly the partying (that was before I felt the drink and drugs were a problem) but I think it’s mainly being part of a big group. The friends I thought I’d made since moving were mainly drinking buddies who I very rarely see now. It feels like I’ve filled my time with commitments which doesn’t leave me much time or space spare and also in learning to spend time on my own (much needed) I’ve isolated myself a bit. But equally I have a pretty fulfilling life and a lot that I’m grateful for.

More a set of observations than anything, I’m not too sure how I feel about it all or if there’s anything much I can do about it at the moment.

2 Likes

Yesterday I walked 20 km for charity, it was a nice walk trough the fields with cherry and apple trees all in blossom. Because of the cold the farmers are protecting the flowers with water. The froze water protects the flowers from the cold so the flowers can give fruit later on. It gave awesome pictures!

1 Like

This should’ve gone here! (@ifs, @siand, @anon12657779)

I’m looking at going no-cook for backpacking this year. First to shed the little weight/space of a stove and fuel. Plus cut down on meal prep and cleaning time, and the extra time/water needed to scrub down a cook pot caked in stuff. Not to mention peace of mind everything’s good with/without fire.

I do enjoy morning coffee, but even the friend who first taught me about longer hikes doesn’t fire up his stove in the morning for it. He just has a cold Starbucks VIA. I was stunned by this, but it isn’t half bad.

Any no-cook backpacking faves out there? Packing out pizza/sandwich on the first day we do. And instant or overnight oatmeal with powdered milk were suggested, maybe toss in some raisins, etc.

Some MREs (think Mountain House) and many other dehydrated foods can actually be rehydrated cold as well, though it takes longer and may affect taste. I’ll post back later my at-home taste test for a bunch of things. I’m skeptical.

Probably my fave recipe is cold trail pizza roll ups. Pepperoni, flatbread/tortilla, and cheese can pack well. A premixture of tomato powder and some spice can make pizza or pasta sauce (depending how much water added). Not the most calorie dense, but a protein/fat boost and nutrition in the tomato sauce. Plus… pizza!

Morning is a good time to test oatmeal! This needs work.

I split an apples & cinnamon instant oats packet. For control, I added boiling water to half and tap water to the other.

Boiled water one was great. In 2 minutes with minor stirring it came up porridge-y. A little bit soupy but slightly thick, too. Tastes as good as instant oats can.

Tap water one was less good. It hydrated almost as quickly, though I stirred it more. It’s… edible. Taste is okay, texture kind of meh. The oats and included dried apples softened, but it didn’t thicken as the hot water one. Worse, whatever powder is in it for thickening isn’t fully absorbed and makes the leftover water kind of gritty.

Not sure instant oats are the way to go. Maybe less water or stirring? Also didn’t try adding any chia or dry milk, just seeing how it acts as a base.