2019 Hiking Club (Walking Sober)

I get where you’re going with this but I’ve still got 3 things I’d like to contribute if I may.
I’ m assuming that you have the same equipment we have and the stove I use is a little spider stove that folds down to a small fist size and the cannister is about 4" X 4"
Another reason that would take a stove is the safety issue. Obviously I don’t know about the weather conditions for you, but when we go over the Brecons and other hill walking in the UK the weather can change just like that and a hot brew is a saviour in such circumstances.
I’ve seen MRE’s that self heat by snapping a block in them. Cost is probably a thing here though.
As I said just the reasons why a stove would always be in my pack.:grinning:

1 Like

When I do overnight oats (for work) I use rolled oats, fruit and water. I buy frozen berries and they just defrost over night. Add in some chia seeds for protein and also consistency.

1 Like

Totally respected! Cost isn’t so much a factor. Cold/wet weather also (usually) not so bad here, though. We’re usually in the summer Sierras. Hottt days though nights get chilly.

Hot food for sure can give a quick heat boost and major comfort. My experience is cook time also leads to more exposure time for prep/cleaning/packing, though (not zero for cold prep, but can be close). And that digesting a good meal provides the more lasting warmth, hot or cold.

That said, you’re right on. If the likelihood of cold/rain here were higher, I’d go hot again for comfort!

Self heating MRE, you say…? (googles)

It’s just what’s drilled into me when I started my mountain leader. It’s kinda stuck. Didn’t complete unfortunately.
I must admit I still pack my day bag with all my safety kit, even if we’re just taking the dogs over the Malverns.:rofl:
The wife has a laugh, but one day you never know I say.

1 Like

Absolutely gorgeous day! The poppies were popping and there were some new kids (goats) in town. :heart:

Aw… The pictures from my new phone are too large to upload. :sweat:

I’m a boil water only backpacker. Nothing to clean up and only freezer bags to pack out. I currently use an Esbit stove, so minimal weight/space or fussing.

Oh no! I mean the hike sounds lovely but sad news not to be able to see the pictures.

As am/was I. Alcohol stove kit, though altogether it was bulkier to pack than this Esbit. To me a hot meal is a treat to stave off food boredom.

Though hmm… Something like the Esbit with a 1-1.5 cup pot might be good. :thinking:

Yesterday’s taste test: Cold rehydrated Bear Creek beef veg soup. Used half the water/cup recommended to start. Texture of the stuff was good after an hour (didn’t check sooner) and taste was okay.

Salty! Needs more watering down and maybe something to bulk it out. Better as an ingredient than the main attraction.

1 Like

Success!

4 Likes

Adorable! And the poppies look amazing!

I met these little chaps this afternoon while walking Lady. They were behind a fence so we couldn’t say hello properly but they were very friendly. I guess they thought we had food.

3 Likes

That looks amazing! Well done on the 20km too! :clap:

1 Like

Yesterday I did the rehydration experiment with one of those instant rice side packages. Jumping to the chase… two very useful things I’ve learned:

1. How much longer foods I’d enjoy packing take to reconstitute in cold water. They do so eventually and are differently edible.
  2. The joy of preparing and wolfing down a simple hot meal outweigh my other nonsense. Totally bringing a light stove.

And esbit is on the list, @Lotys, thanks. Alcohol stoves always made me nervous and i never saw the solid fuel.

2 Likes

Just googled these. Like the hexy burners in the UK rat packs.

1 Like

:joy:

Sounds like taking a stove is a good call!

2 Likes

Good morning all,

I try and hike at least 4 to 5 times a week. My fiance and I average around 3 miles per hike but like to go further on the weekends. We discoveres this beautiful little waterfall in the Taconic Mountains just west of the Massachusetts border the ither day. Its funny how during addiction, you never have the time to enjoy or appreciate the snall things. Your completely consumed with addiction. Being sober for almost 19 months has allowed me to remember all of the beauty in the world that i forgot about. Im grateful to be able to enjoy these moments now. Every new day is amazing.

6 Likes

This isn’t technically hiking, but it makes the same part of my brain happy, so I’ll share it here. It’s actually the path I took to go to my secondary grocery store from my house, believe it or not. In case I don’t mention it enough, I love where I live.

3 km each way, 50% of it natural parkland, 160m elevation change (bonus: store is at the top, so groceries are only carried downhill).

6 Likes

That is gorgeous! I can see why that makes that part of your brain happy. Plus carrying groceries downhill is a bonus. My walk to the shops is urban and uphill on the way home. But a very short walk, and I am lucky to have lots of countryside on my doorstep to help my brain find it’s happy place.

And @Vinny_0110 you’re so right about noticing all the things you missed before. I love just seeing how the light reflects off things when it’s sunny, or how green everything looks after it rains. There’s so much to see if you just stop to look.

1 Like

Also not really a hike but dog walking today, was hoping to bump into the farmers who look after the lambs as last time I saw them they said I might be able to bottle feed one :heart_eyes: They weren’t there but I did get to say hello through the fence as my Mum was with me and could hold on to Lady!

6 Likes

Loving the opportunistic hiking, @ifs and @siand. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Have lots of fun on your trip! Looking forward to hearing/seeing all about it :grin:

1 Like