2019 Hiking Club (Walking Sober)

So @Eke how was your trip? :nerd_face::chipmunk:

1 Like

Ha, was just coming on to post! :blush: It all came together wonderfully. Neighbor helped get us started off at a better spot so we could spend extra miles as we pleased. Managed an extra vista the first day and a complete loop 'round the falls on the second.

All told did about 30 miles over the two days. 3k feet elevation gain and 4.4k feet descending in total.

Camp was great. One fella packed and prepped a pretty posh dinner. Heā€™s quite the trail chef! Weather was pleasant if cool with the sun breaking through as we reached the trio of water falls and began following the long creek, descending down to the ocean. Gorged ourselves on burgers at a seaside diner before the long drive back.

Even as a warm up trip, my left knee had a minor blow out slowing me down some on day two. Healing up to get ready for the next adventure! :grin:

B: Man. This treeā€™s got over 1,000 years.
Me: Dang. Must work a hell of a program.
B: Huh?
Me: Oh, nothing.

6 Likes

That looks A-MAY-ZING!

I am part envious but it is also making me look forward to my camping trip in August! Glad the food situation worked out well in the end. Canā€™t beat a hot meal after a day in the hills. Burgers = bonus.

And I agree that tree must work a helluva program :joy::deciduous_tree:

1 Like

I must have missed it! Where are yā€™all going, and is Lady a good lil camping buddy?

1 Like

Lake District and Yorkshire Dales in the UK. Lakes for watersports, Dales for walking.

Lady tried camping once and she was not a fan. Our tent was pretty small though, might test her with a bigger one before we go (note to self, must find new tent!). Although it would also depend on the campsite, if it is busy and full of children and dogs she wouldnā€™t like it. She prefers it a bit more chilled! So depending on where we can find to go she might take her own little holiday and stay with my mum for a week or so.

The other option is to do some wild camping which isnā€™t technically allowed but I guess if you can find a remote enough spot, no one would know!

1 Like

Nature would know, @siand. Nature would.

Omg, I looked up pictures. These places look gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

We went to a nice little site called Church Stile at Wassdale. Was a working farm but the site was nice, facilities great and the owners where really friendly. And the kids loved the animals.
And itā€™s within easy reach of Scarfell Pike.

1 Like

Donā€™t they! I am ashamed to say that Iā€™ve lived less than 2 hours drive away for 6 years and still not visited. This year will be the year it put it right.

And yes nature would know :joy: But nature is awesome and I donā€™t think sheā€™d care as long as we didnā€™t leave a mess.

Although a farm would be good! Was it busy @anon12657779 or do they limit the number of people? My bf is a teacher so we will have to go in the holidays but Iā€™d prefer not to have screaming children around. I know thatā€™s a bit grinchy, I donā€™t begrudge anyone their chance of a nice break bit I want to get as deep into the countryside and as far away from other people as possible!

1 Like

Where we got was quite quite. Itā€™s only a small site anyway. I donā€™t remember many kids I must admit and we went school holidays as well. Towards the end.

1 Like

Getting back to it today. Going out this afternoon so not the longest walk but a good one to ease back in with. It was pretty breezy but despite the clouds we didnā€™t get rained on! There were some bits that were quite difficult to navigate e.g. overgrown footpaths, stiles to lift Lady over, farm dogs to avoid. That slowed us down a bit but still made decent enough time.

Next week target 3 hour/9 mile walk then add an hour each week to get up to 20 miles by the end of June.

4 Likes

Looks great. I use to go walking 3 or 4 times a week but havenā€™t in a while. I donā€™t drive so to get somewhere scenic takes time on public transport. I use to walk the towpath here alone but have become nervous of doing that in my own in recent years. Pity because itā€™s beautiful and about 4or5 miles down brings me to a beautiful park. Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon park. The problem is you have to walk it back again so all in with the park etc it is about 10/11 miles. I use to do it no problem but not as fit now!
Have you watched the series on BBC2 called WALKS OF LIFE? I have recorded it and watched a few episodes. Itā€™s very relaxing. But I DO need to get out actually doing it more ! It definitely helps the mind and soul x

2 Likes

Hope you donā€™t mind me jumping on this thread! Iā€™m working up to a 35km charity walk in June. And another in July. The first is a coastline walk and the second is city and river.

I did one 12 months ago (pre sobriety and pre fitness) I made it, but Iā€™m hoping it will be slightly easier this year! :joy:

Anyhoo. Did a 15km training today. My knees are a little cranky with meā€¦

3 Likes

Looks like yā€™all had fun! Lady goes with you on these longer hikes? That pup has energy for miles!

I had designs for another 6 miler today with my knee feeling mostly normal again, but the weather seems to be suggesting otherwise. Fingers crossed. :confused:

And heck yeah, jump right in, @rabbit!

1 Like

Are there any walking meetup groups near you? You might find people you could car share with. And a walk to the park and back sounds like a good goal to aim for! Especially now the weather is trying to get a bit nicer.

I really like walking on my own, I donā€™t usually have the dog with me. Definitely good for the soul.

I havenā€™t seen Walks of Life but I will keep an eye out for it!

The more the merrier!

I did a big walk last year and being sober helped me in a number of ways.

1. Getting up early to go for training walks on Sundays. Training makes such a difference. For me a big part of it was working out what to wear, what to take, what and when to eat, when to stretch etc. As well as having energy to do the walks, starting early meant getting back at a good time and still having the day left to play with
  2. More discipline food wise - no need for sugar/grease etc post hangover. I found what you eat the day before makes a difference.

I was training as I stopped drinking and I found being out walking was also a fantastic opportunity to do some good thinking and reflecting. I really worked some shit out!

1 Like

I donā€™t usually have her with me but since Iā€™m on these antidepressants Iā€™m a lot less anxious. She doesnā€™t like other dogs so it felt a bit hairy when we went through a farm earlier, but before the idea of something like that happening was enough to put me off taking her.

I know she can manage 10 miles and Iā€™d probably make that about the limit for her. I reckon she could do more without too much bother but she is getting older so I donā€™t want to push her too much.

Good that your knee is on the mend - do you have physio or anything like that for it?

1 Like

I love walking alone always have but someone was attacked on this towpath about 4 years ago and it put me off doing it alone. It was in a different part to where I walk but still shook me. Itā€™s a shame but thatā€™s life

Wow, what a trooper! :heart_eyes:

And nah. I gave it more time and did some careful isometric exercises (esp. wall sits) a friend with the same knee history recommended. Started feeling better within a few days of my last belly aching. :blush:

Edit: And I totally wouldā€™ve asked my GP but had just been before it happened. Not opposed to goinā€™ back again if needed.

1 Like

4 miles this morning, slow going as went with my Mum. Probably not quite a hike but close enough. This could link up to where I walked last time, so will do that at some point. Itā€™s a flat walk too which isnā€™t necessarily the best for training but it is nice to have one.

2 Likes

6 miles today. Obligatory :goat:s.

Sounds like our Monday trek just got somewhat less ambitious due to time constraints. Probably for the best, the knee was still a bit tender downhill today.

3 Likes