2019 Hiking Club (Walking Sober)

9 miles round trip today, +1500 feet up. And knee felt great!

There’s a hawk (redtail?) in this last one, just up and left of center. Birds were all over the place at the peak.

We’re aiming at hiking coast to crest later this summer. 16 miles and 4300’ of elevation gain. That’ll be a long, beautiful day.

5 Likes

1 Like

Looks so beautiful eke. Do you have to travel far to get there?

1 Like

Not at all! Even in bad holiday traffic (the joys of peninsular living), less than a two hour drive.

I have to admit, I forgot how many beautiful places there are around here. It’s nice seeing them again.

1 Like

That’s not bad. Where I went is only that far, and when I think about it. There are a load of places just as close.

2 Likes

Fantastic sounding hike. There’s a wonderful near-coast hike about an hour south of me that’s an 8 mile mountain climb, and I can’t wait to attack it again! I love hiking more than most other physical exercise. I think it’s something very basic about moving yourself somewhere with purpose, navigating difficult terrain, and pushing regardless of tiredness. Definitely a good reinforcement of the will it takes to stay sober! Wins all around.

3 Likes

We’re pretty lucky here. Got the Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and Snowdonia all within 2 hours drive. Very rarely go to any of them! But will make more of an effort this summer.

I tend to do the walking routes around where I live. Still some pretty decent ones, quite a bit of of ancient woodland round here (hilly!) as well as farmland and a river so good variety.

1 Like

Wales is not too far for us. The Brecons and the black mountains being the closest. Going south there’s Dartmoor, Bodmin and Exmoor.
Took us about 6 hours to get to the lakes. 12 to get to Fort William. Though we did stop at Hadrian’s wall on the way.
Snowdon is about 3.5 hours away.
We live at the foot of a blog hill and the Cotswolds are only a 20 min drive. But never venture there. Not craggy enough. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Nearly didn’t go out today as I was late and it was raining a bit. Glad I did. Wanted to see how long it would take to walk to the Buddhist temple so most of the route was on pavement, but found a few nice off road bits. Monkey brain was working hard today but managed to find some moments of mindfulness.

4 Likes

Took some friends from out of town to see the big trees Monday. A 5 miler on a beautiful day.

6 Likes

So I’m hoping to help set up a walking group for people in recovery, through the soup kitchen I volunteer at. Has anyone done any walk leading? Or been on any organised walks to make suggestions of things that work well and things that don’t!

Things I have thought about so far

• will need to plan routes
  • thinking about printing maps for everyone
  • risk assessment of the route
  • make sure everyone has enough food/water/the right kit
  • emergency contact information

Any other thoughts?

Those sound pretty solid. And communicating the path and stats well in advance. Does @siand have a trusted friend to bring along?

Might go without saying, protecting of any personal info, if provided. That might include not publicly listing who’s attending.

There’s legend of a hiking meeting here, though I’ve yet to crack it. Must find!

1 Like

Yes good point re personal info.

There will be another volunteer with me although I don’t know who yet. I need to find someone else who wants to spend all day walking!

1 Like

I highly recommend SOBER hiking. Went for a hike a week ago and drank beer at the top, fell on the way down and broke me bloody arm. Would not have fallen sober. Alcohol clearly didnt enhance anything.

Might be worth doing a bit of first aid training? Sounds like a great idea :star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

Yesterday my buddy and I went early to check out the new redwood park. But around here, a park opening attracts folks like moths to the flame. The tiny lot was packed already, rangers directing people away to a shuttle that was starting down the hill later.

So we satisfied ourselves with a little 4 mile hike at the nearby reservoir.

5 Likes

Planning our next backpacking trip.

Me: You know if we need bear [canister] there, or can we just bag it (food)?
Buddy: I dunno.
Me: You don’t know?
Buddy: Naw. I keep my food in my tent as my pillow.
Me: :confused: O… kay.

3 Likes

Is there something wrong with me? I read that as beer cans first.
Was wondering wtf @Eke?:joy::joy:

2 Likes

Haha ok me too!

But only because I didn’t know what a bear can is. UK wildlife just isn’t the same!

Although the squirrels are pretty bold.

1 Like

:rofl: Edited for clarity.

Yeah, gotta keep Yogi away from the food. Don’t want them associating food w/ people or stumbling around camp for that matter. Best not to cook or store food around camp in bear country.

My next thought was, So you’re sleeping somewhere else, right? :no_mouth:

@siand: Yeah, mice/marmots are the more realistic threat here, too.

stuffed

3 Likes