2019 Hiking Club (Walking Sober)

6 miles of these hills today. Round of burgers after.

Deep conversation of the week: Why is it called a “station wagon?” And is a hearse just a station wagon for the deceased? :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes, I totally got that. Though we have no bears, when I opened my tent the other week I found myself surrounded by sheep!!
Well there was a whole line of them looking at me with red eyes!!
Well, one or two were looking my way the rest were just being :sheep:
But yeah, I’m glad we don’t have to worry about beers, I mean :bear:’s

3 Likes

Hahaha I can totally picture it. Roll over, peek out the tent zipper to see how light it is outside, then… “well good morning to you too! Now give me my space!” :rofl:

2 Likes

Have you seen the film black sheep?

Black%20Sheep%2014

Um. No! But … Um… No! :astonished:

Sooo I haven’t done any proper walking for a while. But I’ve just signed up to the Peak District Challenge so I absolutely need to get back onto it!

3 Likes

Easy day today but yesterday clocked up 38,000 steps, mainly hitting the hills around Malhamdale in Yorkshire. No idea what distance (or elevation!) we covered but spent a decent chunk of the day on our feet. Started off with a cream tea - much needed energy of course. Walked through some woods, scrambled up Gordale Scar, lots of sheep spotting and generally looked at lovely views from the top of big hills.

7 Likes

Are you wild camping or finding sites?
Some great pictures!

1 Like

Omg, I want to go to there! :star_struck:

2 Likes

We found a site to stay at for a couple of nights and checked into a b&b yesterday because of the weather forecast. Staying here again tonight and then popping home tomorrow, and off to North Wales on Monday. One of my colleagues recommended a site called Porth Iago, so if weather behaves we will go there for a couple of nights then probably find a hotel or b&b for the last night after climbing up Snowdon.

Now we’ve been here and got a bit of an idea of where to go I would be up for doing some wild camping another time.

1 Like

It’s amazing, would highly recommend if you’re ever in the UK! (As well as coming to see me in Cheshire obvs :grin:)

2 Likes

Where are starting Snowdon? Llanberis?

Yea I think so, that’s what they recommend the first time you go up there

Yeah, it’s not a bad route. Go buhind the railway. Be warned it’s a bit steep before you even get off the tarmac.
Hope the weather is better for you, we had low cloud and misty rain, couldn’t see anything.

1 Like

Did a great 5 mile with a couple friends. Solid steep sections with a great view of the whole coastline. Roughly 1700 ft climb so it was a shorter hike. Still beautiful! I wish I had pictures!

1 Like

The Netherlands is a beautiful country. I was there on business last year and promised myself I would go back and do some walking and camping.

2 Likes

Looks great- I’m camping at Malham cove tomorrow- will post pictures after my return. Might bump into each other walking one day Sian although I probably wouldn’t recognise :grinning:

2 Likes

Ah we’ve just got home. We stayed at a campsite in Little Stainforth which was nice.

Look forward to seeing the pictures, hope the weather behaves for you!

You should! :+1:

1 Like

Just looking at Snowdon options. We have a hotel in Llanberis booked but I wonder if we would be able to have a crack at any of the other paths… Could definitely be fitter but we don’t mind a challenge. Have you done any of the other routes?