2020 Hiking Club (Walking Sober)

Another weekend?
Raining?
Ah, Geoff must be in the hills.
Unable to go to Wales because it’s shut we ended up in the Long Mynde in Shropshire ( literally translates as Long Mountain!)
20 mile solo navigation up hill and down fen.
Cracking day and cracking views, once the clag cleared

7 Likes

Nice scramble up Kinder.

3 Likes

My mate was up there today, with his dogs.
Looks great.

Given the forecast for the next 10 days, good to get out whilst we can!

1 Like

@RosaCanDo Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but you asked about snowshoeing - and I like to think of it as winter hiking, so thought I’d post here? Unless I get kicked off? :laughing:

My snowshoes are MSR brand. https://www.msrgear.com/ca/shop/snowshoes
Whichever brand you go with, I’d suggest women’s over unisex or men’s - apparently we stand and walk with our feet closer together, or something like that (I’m really glad I’m not trying to make commission!) and the women’s are more comfortable by end of day. Those and a decent set of hiking poles (telescoping better than ski poles but no biggie either way) and you’re off!

Not sure there are dedicated snowshoe trails where you are, but pretty much anywhere with summer hiking trails can be used in winter - and it’s more fun if its not packed :smile:

Also good fun for the dogs - as long as it’s not too deep! When the dog girl was younger she loved it - could go for days, and if the snow was deep in spots her tail would stick up out of it like a snorkel. :laughing:

Let me know if you give it a try! We can compare trail notes :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you for all the awesome tips! I trip over my own feet a lot, so I think it’s safe to say I have a “narrow gait” as the site describes. I have to decide whether to commit and buy some or I hear there are a couple nature centers near here that have some to borrow. I could test them out there first…I’ll have to stew on it.

I don’t know about dedicated paths here, but I’ve seen some in parks a bit further north, and a friend here makes a habit of doing a loop at the country club regularly, which I hope to join her for this season. I suppose I could always try hers out first, too. The vision is there, excitement about the idea of it, but I’ll admit my feeling is that the snow can take its time arriving. Last year we didn’t get dumped on until late December. Decisions, decisions. We shall see…but those photos really make me want to dive right in! Gorgeous!

1 Like

This looks great. I must admit I don’t think I’d get much chance around here. We don’t really get enough snow. The Welsh mountain’s are close to me.
Ivenat seen snow shoes in shops though.
Scotland might well be the place to go for us.

1 Like

Yeah - I tried out a few pairs to see if I liked it before I bought (this is when I realized the women’s do make a difference). I don’t remember mine being as $$ as website says, but I guess I bought these ones over 5 years ago? They’ve held up though. All that said - no matter what activity, my gear has never been my limiting factor! (Trip over my own feet - yep!)

And normally I’m okay with snow coming a little later - but not too late. If it’s going to be cold out, there may as well be snow. A few years ago there wasn’t anything decent until January. Snow’s coming earlier this year here - I think I’m ok with it because other things are likely to head back into shut down mode…

…just not the trails! Phew! :orange_heart:

1 Like

I fully agree with the if it’s cold might as well be snow sentiment. And snow is ALWAYS preferable to cold and damp or rainy. I haven’t heard our long range forecast for this year, I’ll have to check it out.

1 Like

I have snowshoes too. Hubby bought them when we were dating but he never ended up using his much. I used to go constantly when I had the dogs. They’d get so excited when I’d take them out :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: can’t wait for first big snowfall! Even got a pair for little guy.
Forgive me while I spam some photos from my trips on our property
:snowflake:

Edited to add… black doggie’s tail was docked when he was given to husband. He did not have it done

6 Likes

Bring it on! And I totally relate - I would have to bring the shoes out last, or the dog girl would go berserk and I couldn’t even fill a water bottle :paw_prints:
Please spam photos! Now I’ll just throw my snowshoes in the car when we do our TS cross-country gathering :laughing: @CapriciousCapricorn are you in?

3 Likes

Love it! And that smiley pup :heart_eyes: one of my most favorite things is snow on trees, especially fir/pines. Simply beautiful.

2 Likes

Oh wow - gorgeous! I bet it’s amazing snowshoeing too after a big fall! Love those sunny days with lots of snow.
And the little man is adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I joke that is how pup and I fell in love. He was a gruff old farm dog of hubby’s and I’d drive out to walk/snowshoe them when hubby and I were just newly dating as he was doing shift work or travelling so I wanted the dogs to be well cared for. It was a sunny day and I layed flat on the snow on my back and he laid his 75lb body on top of me and nuzzled my face. I told hubby and he was shocked. From that day on, he was my baby. Never left my side. Miss him dearly :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I’ve used this on my bully’s paws for a few winters with great success. Which is great because she does not tolerate booties! We can only be out for an hour or so because she’s small and gets cold, regardless of whether there is snow or damp.

2 Likes

Oooo love this thread! 2019 hunting trip in WY lots of hiking…

3 Likes

I have heard such good things about this! I’m going to get some this winter - my girl won’t tolerate wearing booties, and I think it only really works if you get them wearing booties as a pup?

1 Like

Our pups never had booties, but they were outside a great deal back when it was an active farm, so they were used to the elements. If it was really extremely cold or if they were lifting their paws, we’d not go. That balm looks like a great idea though! I’ll keep in mind for my next pup if I get one :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Not actually hiking but a 15km walk to get my ox cheek for tomorrow.

6 Likes

@Salty
@CapriciousCapricorn
@RosaCanDo
We been using mushers secret for years. It works great. I usually buy 2 or 3 jars at a time. And smear it all over their feet. It’s a pain in the ass but it really helps. We Tried the booties but that trick never lasted long.
Be careful. Our tile floor gets pretty slippery after a few days and I almost slipped and fell on my ass. :scream:

3 Likes