2020 Hiking Club (Walking Sober)

Booked a last minute break in the Peak District. Nice and sunny yesterday morning,went for a stroll around the village where our hotel is.

We drove to Edale (via Bakewell, because Bakewell Puddings :star_struck:) and walked along the Pennine Way to Kinder Scout which is 636m up, so we had a good stomp up the hill. The weather turned on us and it was pretty cold and windy at the top!

Probably something like 8 or 9 miles, took us about 4.5 hours (including food stops and going off track on the moors).

12 Likes

Beautiful I love the peak District. Gotta get up there more.

1 Like

Lived in the countryside all my life but really only just started to appreciate it.
Some pictures from my run this morning.

9 Likes

Man I miss the countryside :leaves::fallen_leaf:

2 Likes

It looks so nice and peaceful. Always loved the rolling hills.

1 Like

I’m 40 days sober from alcohol and hiking has been a big part of it so far. Walking and fresh air have really helped me clear my mind. Today some friends came along :slight_smile: we walked through the scenic hills close to Königswinter/Germany. The ruin is alledegly where Sigfrid slaid the dragon in the Nibelungen saga. With the gloomy light it felt really mystical :dragon:

9 Likes

Great pics!! I love the gloomy sky. All we have is clear blue sunny sky over here. Actually getting tired of it. But I am right there with you. It is so nice to get out in the cooler weather and do some hikes. It is a great attitude adjustment. I’m trying to force my self out twice a week for a hike.

1 Like

Walnut Canyon today. Sinagua Cliff dwellers made there home here in the 13th century. Just don’t know how people lived back then. Lots of steps down pretty easy. Going back up? Not so much. Hiking in 2020 with a face mask. :scream: Narrow trails made it difficult to social distance.

You can see the cliff dwellings across the canyon.
Then we got a closer look.

I think I would have been too large to live here back then.

9 Likes

I bet people were a lot shorter back in the day :rofl: I think I saw a documentary once that talked about how humanity was getting taller and taller over time.

1 Like

Thank you! Love your pictures, hiking is even more fun when there’s a historical site to discover (I’m a huge history nerd :sweat_smile:)!
Even though I’m more the cold and northern type, I always crave the sun at the end of the winter! Still can relate to getting tired of the same weather every day though☀️

2 Likes

A few more pictures from the peak district. On Sunday we walked up to Beeley Moor, stopped for some sightseeing and lunch in Eyam (“the plague village”) then onto Three Shire Heads for a spot of wild swimming. It was pretty cold though so it was more like a quick wild dunk!

12 Likes

Ah so lovely. At first look I didn’t notice the person taking the quick dunk. Is that you? I’ve made it as far north as Matlock about 15 years ago but it was for a football thing with my sons team. Never got a chance to get into the Peak District. Got to see and tour the facility where the Rammie’s play in Derby though. And I can pronounce Derby correctly :crazy_face:
Love your pics.

3 Likes

I didn’t either. Thank you for making me take a second look :pray:

I love it @siand :+1:

3 Likes

Changed up our hike to a walk in the wetlands right near the house. Wifey was sore after the 273 steps Sunday :grimacing:

San Francisco Peaks north toward Flagstaff.

A few clouds would be nice. Maybe a little rain or snow!! Well I got time and will get to see that too.
It’s just so nice to get out. And be out and about. Not with other people mind you. It’s just been weird isolating for 6 months. But that’s probably for another thread.

8 Likes

I spot a duck swimming in one of your pictures! Maybe this is a new game for hiking club? Take pictures of things that are dunked (quickly or otherwise) and we have to try and spot them :crazy_face:

I find being out walking alone is the least isolating thing. Time and space just for me, to walk or sit or stop or look. To breathe and just be.

3 Likes

This was Sheila and me out for a wee
walk we live out in the sticks last jan before the virus

7 Likes

Ooooooh! I like Sheila’s choice in leggins :+1::smiley:

5 Likes

Wow, i did the same walk a few weeks ago x

2 Likes

Trying to squeeze as many hikes in as possible before the rain/muddy seasons begins

13 Likes

Wow, what a waterfall! Amazing.

1 Like