2021 Hiking Club (Walking Sober)

Took a short birthday hike today in Wisconsin to see the bald eagles fishing and fighting at a lock and dam on the Mississippi River, not far from where I live. A balmy 30 F, perfect really, and although I didn’t get pics of the gorgeous creatures, they always take my breath away, no matter how many times I see them. There must have been two dozen in the skies, trees and on the ice around us. I was preoccupied with making sure my gal Lupe wasn’t too cold and was moving around enough to keep warm or I’d have taken more photos. It was wonderful.

8 Likes

Happy birthday Rosa :partying_face:

2 Likes

Happy birthday Rosa. I love the pics of you and Lupe. You are both so beautiful! Take advantage of your day :blossom::tada::sunflower::heart:

1 Like

I go for a walk around town then hike in the woods most days, ~3.5-4.0 miles total. It is a great opportunity to ponder the morning guided meditation as well as to appreciate the beauty around me and the fact that I’m sober to enjoy it!

This is the road to my favorite hiking spot.

And here is the river (Otter Creek) that flows next to that road.

With all the recent snow, I look forward to getting in some snowshoeing! Have a great day!!

4 Likes

I am happy to say that my week long vacation to the mountains (Virginia) is booked and I am ready to put my boots on the trails!

2 Likes

Delayed post of walks at the weekend.

Got 11 miles in on Sunday, a walk around some urban parks with a friend. We have managed to meet up once a month ish for a while and I’m so grateful for her.

Then on Monday, a local walk with my bf on his day off. Not sure how far we went, but out for a couple of hours and got up the hill.

Perfect walking weather. Spring is very nearly springing!

3 Likes

Oh wow looking forward to seeing some pics!

I’m hoping to get to Scotland at some point this year, if Covid restrictions lift as planned, for some proper wilderness and hill walking.

1 Like

I will definitely get some pics. I went last summer too and I loved it. I want to make it an annual thing.

Had a mood crash yesterday morning and my boyfriend persuaded me to go for a walk to blow the cobwebs away. The intention was to do an 8 ish mile route but I wasn’t quite up to it. Ended up going for a couple of miles then stopping for a picnic in an iron age hillfort. And a nap in the sun :see_no_evil:

Perfect picnic/ nap spot! >>

10 Likes

Forgot about this thread while I’m actually hiking a bit more while cycling a bit less. Cycling has gotten crazy popular under corona while hiking on weekdays still really gets me away from it all. From people mainly. Here’s some pics from a week ago.

16 Likes

Looks amazing! So nice to find some peace and quiet. Especially in the sunshine :sunny:

1 Like

I forgot about this thread as well!! I typically do 3-4 hikes a week in addition to 2-3 bike rides. Here are some from this past weekend’s hike:

10 Likes

Arrived in the peak district yesterday, staying in a little place called Rushup.

Walked into a nearby town, Chapel en le Frith, yesterday. Got lost on the way back but it ended up being a really nice detour.

Today we walked to another nearby town, Castleton, via Mam Tor. Stopped off at a place for lunch in Castleton just as it started raining, perfect timing. Think we walked around 10 miles overall but it felt like more. So many hills! I know it’s the peak district, ha. I was pretty tired for the second half of the walk. Turns out I have become quite accustomed to having an afternoon nap :see_no_evil: Still it was a really nice route. I should sleep well tonight!

We’re going home tomorrow, not sure I will manage another walk in the morning. Right now the idea of a trip to Bakewell to pick up some Puddings seems more appealing :rofl:

13 Likes

What??? That is my town!!

Castleton? I didn’t realise! I hope we will be back before too long, will give you a heads up next time :slight_smile:

Chapel :grinning: I’m currently in Northumberland anyway so wasn’t around. Yes give me a shout :grin:

1 Like

Down to about 45 days until my mountain trip, I can’t wait to hit some trails!

3 Likes

Am late posting but went camping in Snowdonia a couple of weeks ago and we did the Llanberis path up and down Snowdon. Weather wasn’t too bad although of course it was all cloud at the top!

We went with a friend who is pretty unfit and a couple of times I found myself feeling frustrated with the slow pace, wanting to get back to the campsite, go to the beach, etc. But really, we just would have been hanging out one way or another so the side of a mountain is as good a place as any! So it was a good opportunity to practice some lessons of recovery - acceptance and compassion. It was super hard for him but he did it! He said if we weren’t with him he probably wouldn’t have carried on to the top, so that’s pretty cool.

13 Likes

Went for a hike with kids to a wildlife reserve:

9 Likes

Right after some crazy rain let off.

8 Likes