2021 Hiking Club (Walking Sober)

Went on a hike through the woods and wine fields … a fall paradise :fallen_leaf::maple_leaf:

11 Likes

I keep forgetting this thread is here. Been doing some nice hikes through the year and hope to do some more. Will try to post some more on this thread. Today I did just a little urban walk, visiting two of my favourite places in town and walking though the oldest and maybe the most beautiful part of town if you can look around the seedy businesses and the throngs of tourists there.
I started of at the Portuguese Synagogue. Love to sit in the women’s gallery and try to meditate a bit.

In front of the Synagogue is a statue remembering the February 1941 strike, a brave but ultimately futile protest against the deportation and extermination of the Dutch Jews.

Walked to and through the red light district which is the oldest part of town. Warmoesstraat one of the oldest streets.

Oudezijds Achterburgwal

And ended up at Oude Kerk, oldest standing building in town. On Sunday morning there is a protestant service, I was there just after. I love to visit there, another place to reflect or meditate, and also always stop by the grave of Rembrandt’s first wife Saskia.

17 Likes

Simply stunning. What a beautiful place.

2 Likes

I’m back from a hike not far from my home :clipperton_island::ok_hand:t3:

14 Likes

Nice tread! Never has seen it otherwise I would have join earlier! Walking is a huge part of my recovery. This picture is one from this morning, I walk every day.

13 Likes

And you are here as well Menno! I’ve just discovered this tread, never seen it before! :hugs:
All the fun I’ve missed!

1 Like

Amersfoort, the town where I attend group therapy. The historic centre isn’t huge but it’s pretty. if I have the time I like to walk around a bit. Last week I did.

13 Likes

Beautiful! I’m going to do a Workaway trip when I save more money and travel restrictions lighten up.
My original plan was Belize, but Europe has so much eye-candy! :heart_eyes:

Edit: if you’ve never heard of it: www.workaway.info

2 Likes

Awesome post, I try to get out 5 out of 7 days a week myself

9 Likes

A hike from April 2018. What a day that was.

16 Likes

Some amazing views! How long did that hike take?

2 Likes

All in all a bit over 9 hours. From before dawn till well in the afternoon. Fantastic experience but some of the hardest parts were towards the end and I ran out of water. Not smart and pretty hard.

2 Likes

Dang that would have sucked at the end but I bet you didn’t made that mistake again

1 Like

Today’s hike, a bit windy and chilly at first but sunny after all :blush:, nature heals

14 Likes

France, the Seine cliffs, north west of Paris, the impressionist land (Monet, manet and others were living and painting around). It’s full of caves and troglodyte houses. I just love this area

5 Likes

@Pat_m Your cave pic made me think of another hike I did down a canyon and back up in 2018. This with my Texan friend. Canyon de Chelly, Navajo Nation, AZ. Truly sacred place.

12 Likes

I love this! I’ve been there three times but never at the bottom. Must add it to the bucket list, I just can’t get enough of US trips.

2 Likes

Today’s hike before group therapy. Taking the train and hiking the last bit.

9 Likes

I encourage everybody to have a long walk everyday. The challenge is that the bars that account how much have you walk should be always in a certain level. Case contrary, it means a relapse or a hang over, or maybe both. So, let’s keep active our account of walking/running distance. It means we are in the right way. Nice post!

2 Likes

That’s really cool and also kinda creepy. I feel like my mind would be playing all kinds of tricks!

1 Like