2022 Roll Call -- Introduce yourself!

Hi everyone :wave: Today is my 9th day sober from alcohol. I started drinking in my late twenties as a way to relax/unwind and relieve my anxiety. My drinking and tolerance level slowly increased over the years. I started to turn to alcohol even more when my husband and I found out we couldn’t have children in my mid-thirties. I recently turned 40 and I’ve decided that I can’t continue the way I’ve been going. I haven’t been happy and I’ve been using alcohol as an escape. I’ve felt numb, depressed, and checked out of life. I don’t want to wake up a year from now and be the same person. I have to make a change. I’ve tried several times to go sober, but it didn’t last long. I want this time to be for good. I’m encouraged by reading the posts of other people on here. Thank you for sharing your stories and struggles.

36 Likes

Sup people, I’m David, TS has been my spot since I found it about 45 days sober in March of 2018. I’ll be 4 years sober in about 2 weeks.

Just enjoyed a hangover free new years day in the snow with the family.

Nothings impossible, comfort is the enemy of progress, we do it 1 day at a time/daily.

49 Likes

Hi Captain. I haven’t been on here in a good long while unfortunately and now I’m starting over day 1. As soon as I saw your username I remembered you and remembered your story. I am so glad that you still sober that’s so incredible.

13 Likes

You from AZ? Think your name rings a bell too.

Glad your back, happy new years, nowhere to go but up

3 Likes

Hey all. Name is Jason. Just hit 4 years sober from booze. Been on here since day 1. I don’t post much, but I DO read every single day.

35 Likes

Yes I am in AZ as well! It’s cold as hell today! Initially I was here for pain pill addiction. I kicked that but unfortunately I replaced that addiction with alcohol. It’s starting to really affect my life, just like the pills. I have to do better for my kids, it’s getting so sad.

6 Likes

Yep I member ya, definitely a chill today, that wind has a little bite :rofl:

New day, New year, old story of addiction. What you got planned for getting and staying sober?

1 Like

Good to see ya fella! Happy New Year

Happy New Year to you and the family buddy!! I thought you might have been around Chicago with that snow in your pic!

2 Likes

Going to finally try AA

7 Likes

Hi, l’m Andy, and my DOC is Alcohol. Although l started overindulging in an unhealthy way when my 3 kids were little around 10-12 years ago,l didn’t seek help until the beginning of 2018. I was too ashamed and afraid l would be judged unfairly as a woman, mother and nurse.l went to rehab two times that year for a total of 5 weeks to no avail.l started AA after discharge,but only remained sober for about 5 weeks.Despite pleas from my family and friends and GP, l resisted going back to rehab when things seriously fell apart in my life in the first half of 2020.l finally relented as l realised l was running out of options and l was close to my rock bottom.l spent 30 days at a small private rehab facility over Xmas and NY 2020. It was extremely restrictive ( no phones/no visits,limits on sugar/caffeine,no junk food,no soft drinks.Pretty much any pleasures). But l learnt so much about myself and it definitely gave me more tools to put in my toolbox.l wish now l had embraced it more,but l think l was too angry and resentful at the time,particularly with my husband who had given me the ultimatum to go there! The day after l got out,we went on a prearranged camping trip with my husband’s extended family-not a great idea in hindsight!:weary: l resented them all for being Normies and promptly drank on it without any consequential thinking! The drinking continued and worsened when we got back home.Up until a week ago,l was up and down like a see saw with my drinking.l had tried several other things to help in the last 12 months- regular AOD phone counselling,Naltrexone,Zoom AA Meetings,but l just couldn’t seem to rack up more than a few days sober time.Even the threat of divorce and not living with my teenage daughters didn’t scare me into changing my ways…. And then l stumbled upon this App.quite by accident. I was trying,for the 100th time to do Day 1 in a less painful way and googled random questions about alcoholism/relapse/detoxing,and the TS App came up! I am hopeful and optimistic that this place will help me on my way. I know the hard work must come from me,but l’m excited(for the 1st time in a long time!) to try something new. My husband is already irritated by the amount of time l am spending reading and posting,but l have reminded him that as long as l am sober,what harm can it do? He didn’t argue the point! Hehe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: l am nearly at the end of Day 7!! Thanks for having me and Happier NY to everyone :heart:

47 Likes

Hi all, I’m Claudia, 53 years old and addicted to alcohol.
Sober for 1201 days, so more then 3 years sober.
Started to drink in my student days and noticed I had a problem when I was 30 ore so. Tried moderation for many years. Stopped drinking when I was pregnant, but went back to old habits when not.
Quit for the first time in 2011, had 2 relapses after 90 days before it stick. Was sober for 5 years and then thought I was cured :woozy_face:
Drank for a while in “moderation” but my drinking went worse after a few months until almost as bad as before.
Found this app and quit again 2 weeks later and sober since.

That’s my story in a nutshell :sweat_smile:

I like to add a picture from one of my walks in nature because they are a huge part of my recovery. I walk a lot. In the beginning it helped me to beat my cravings and now it helps my to calm my mind and heal my soul :heavy_heart_exclamation:

This picture my daughter made of me yesterday, it was a great way to start :two::zero::two::two:
Walking in nature with the people I love the most!
:heart:

41 Likes

Cali SPED Teacher here too! :heart::grin:

5 Likes

Hi my name is Cherry (pseudonym)

I am in my early 50’s, a mom to 2 adult children, and wife to a very supportive man. I love nature, helping people, and keeping fit.

I have had a problem with alcohol for the last four years. Im not getting any younger, I want to live an authentic life.

I’m really happy to be here with other beautiful souls facing their addictions. Thank YOU for just listening and being there :dove:

33 Likes

Hello! I’m Fleur from the UK, living in Japan now. Was a binge social drinker in my teens and 20s, skating the cusp of what was acceptable. Then the drinking became more solitary and furtive. Was functional, but it just got worse. Did things I thought I would never do again, but did. Hurt my kids and frustrated my husband. Joined here about two years ago. The first 6 months I struggled, but finally hit on a program that suits me, and have 15 months sober!

40 Likes

Menno here. 56 y/o Guy, mental health nurse, hiker and cyclist, cat lover, nature lover, lover of my home town Amsterdam, introverted lover of people.
My journey began in September 2015 when I decided to quit smoking tobacco and marijuana after 35 years of daily use. I found lots of help in an online quit smoking support group that no longer exists.

Quitting smoking made me think about my drinking and other substance use too, and made me realize my relationship to all substances is a problematic one. Call me an addict or an alcoholic, I prefer to call myself an abuser of substances but I don’t really care. Fact is that my life is much better without all of them.

After quitting marijuana my alcohol consumption steadily increased, and evolved from binging twice a week to daily use at home alone. My personal low was the idea that I didn’t want to live no more. An idea that was beginning to taking serious shape in my head, while realizing it wasn’t me that wanted that, it was only the addicted part of me. Addiction tries to destroy us all. Literally. One day at a time.

I found this community three years ago, and after lurking around for a while I decided to take the plunge, become active here and be sober and clean. Haven’t looked back for 939 days now. Talking Sober is my main place of support in my clean and sober journey. I spent some time in NA early on, but decided for myself I needed a more specialized form of help with my personal mental health problems.

I’ve got four months left in a therapy group doing schema therapy, aimed at working on some of my personality problems, making slow progress. It’s hard work, but it’s a work of love, for myself and for the world. Work I could never have done would I remained caught in the vicious circle of daily substance abuse. In fact probably I would have been dead by now.

Happy to meet you all, working together to achieve a better life for ourselves. We do it together here and that’s the only way it will work. Alone it is too much. Together we can do this. One day at a time.

50 Likes

Wow! You are brave and string to share that. We are glad you are here.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m a very open person when in a safe place. I share bcuz I know others have been thru similar things. When I 1st got into recovery many years ago, alot of people kept things a secret and it only made them more sick. And I felt alone also bcuz no one expressed that they had gone thru the same thing. I eventually found my supports groups and began opening up. And I gained such relief from that! So I always promised myself that I’d be open and honest with others in safe settings :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Spend the amount of time here that you use to spend on drinking :wink:. Welcome Andy

6 Likes

Hi I’m Liz from Toronto Canada in the summer and Phoenix Az in the winter. I’m an alcoholic who is a constantly relapsing. I’m on here to gain some accountability and strength to make a sober life stick. I am blessed to have 3 children and 3 step children and 6 grand kids and numerous 7 on the way. My parents were alcoholics my sister and my nephews too. I have been drinking since a teenager and still now in my 60s. It’s time to stop and live that wonderful sober life. So yes I restarted again this morning and hope this year will be better.

30 Likes