Act your age ?!?!

So I had one of my doctors tell me " Basicalky it’s time you start acting your age " did he mean I needed a house 2 cars a wife 2.5 kids a dog and cat a pocket fence and committed to keeping up with " The Jones’s ??? WTF did she mean !!!
I shared this with my shrink and her reply was " well look at it like this " what age would you be if you didn’t know your age ? " my reply was 20ish.

So my question to all of you is what age would you be if you didn’t know your age and why ?

5 Likes

My therapist described this to me as I started drinking when I was 15, I shut my brain off at 15 and stopped it from doing alot of developing and partied everyday like I was in my Teens. Now I’m 30 yearsold, and 4 months sober but 4 months ago I was still partying like 18, so I’m finally healing my mind and starting to act my age. But I’ll always be young at heart :stuck_out_tongue:

17 Likes

I’m gonna choose 40; they were the best years thus far too!

3 Likes

“74 in the morning” :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Emotionally I’m a teenager still

4 Likes

I’d be 25. That’s around the age I sink deep into depression and started smoking alot of weed, partying alot, talking myself up but being a complete loser in action. Before I gave up on myself I was actually pretty responsible and headstrong and I’m getting back to that person more everyday.

7 Likes

It is a good question. There’s different ages in me, though not the 54 years my ID says I am. A lot of my survival strategies I still use go way back to when I was a little kid. I actually learned some stuff when I started hanging out smoking weed every day at age 15 but I didn’t grow up into an adult back then. I guess I have to go with teenager too for a big part. I did learn stuff after that but I still need to untangle the mess in my head. Sobriety is giving me the chance to do that.

7 Likes

Can I ask the context of the discussion? What prompted her to say that?

I feel my age now, but I’m definitely stunted, by my childhood environment (I lack a ton of confidence), and I think alcohol has hurt me cognitively. I hope it heals over time.

2 Likes

I feel my age, in a good way. I feel happy to be a grown up. I am 48. To me that means: I’m responsible about safety things, for myself and my kids; I don’t sweat the small stuff; I’m aware of my limitations or things I don’t know, without freaking out about my inadequacy; I feel compassion for others, including my parents; I know how to set boundaries; I try to be grateful; I try to speak up in ways I couldn’t when I was younger. I probably look younger than 48, because I’m privileged and a non smoker. But I’m not scared to get old. Grey hair is cool.

6 Likes

Either 20 or 8, depends on the situation

5 Likes

I’d be 75, maybe 80.

My back hurts, I go to bed between 8-9pm and wake up between 4-5am, I love watching Jeopardy and Golden Girls. I love a nice bowl of oatmeal. Maple walnut is a top-tier ice cream flavor. The young people confuse me and I find them to be far too loud and excitable. New socks are great.

I’m really 31.

23 Likes
  1. When I turned 29, I had a party. A few of the guests were smart asses and kept saying I could just admit that I was 30. So it would always keep them guessing.

This made me laugh because I could have written this. Minus the ice cream choice & the 31😂 Now I really want to watch some Jeopardy and Golden Girls

10 Likes

That’s a good one. I’m 34 but everyone I meet for the first time takes me for an older dude. Probably around 40ish.

Fun with stereotypes! :smile:

I should be pretty young because I:

• am too silly
  • am highly excitable
  • am easily entertained
  • always want to try a million new things
  • need everyone to like me
  • download new apps sometimes
  • want more playgrounds big enough for me
  • should probably at least wear a “new adult” sign out in public
  • always step over the cracks
  • still have a functional back (and you thought that was just a meaningless children’s rhyme… disbelieve at your peril!)

But on the other hand, I:

• fold laundry
  • light up seeing a sale on frozen vegetables
  • wake up at 5
  • become poorer when I buy things, somehow
  • occasionally get annoyed by “music these days” if I’m near a radio
  • whack things or blow dust out of electronics to fix them
  • call some grown-ups by their first name
  • plan things more than a week in advance
  • need people to repeat themselves
  • fantasize about buying furniture
  • outsmart children by inventing games to play with them that don’t involve me having to physically move
  • think a day by myself where nothing happens sounds fantastic

Honestly I feel consistent with my age (28) but that involves fluctuating between hermit sage and having temper tantrums. Mostly tantrums broken up by the occasional adult moment. :wink:

10 Likes

Bruh we to similar :joy::joy:. Maple walnut is my fucking shit I just finished my last bit of it tonight. Oatmeal or cream of wheat hell yeah. And same with the young ppl, and my friends who are 30 still acting like they are 18. But w.e lol, they are all gathered across the street at my friends house again tonight, not one invite. I acknowledge I’m sad but I’m accepting it and moving on, I’m just outgrowing them and that’s fine

7 Likes

My body feels like it’s 60…my mind thinks it’s 30. Basically I can’t DO what I used to do when I was 30 and I’m reminded of it every morning as I hobble out of bed…but I just can’t believe I’m NOT still 30. (My real age is somewhere in the middle)

1 Like

Well I told random girls that I was 24 all the way up until I met my wife at age 31.
So I guess that was my magic number. Lol

2 Likes

(The body at 60 isn’t bad!):blush:

2 Likes

Well like many my body says I’m old. I’ve had a hip and knee replacement due to my drinking and my back and shoulders are screwed and will be next up for surgery.

I started drinking at 12 and honestly haven’t been my age since then. I’ve always acted some other way. Sometimes I partied like I was just turning 21 (ok mostly did that) and then there were a lot of times I was the mother of my group of friends even while being the drunk who made sure everyone was taken care of. Everyone got fed, I made sure bills were paid, laundry was always done, house was clean. That’s just my mothering way.

Now I’ve been in super shitty relationships that put me in bad places. Thor knocked some years off me and took me back to my drinking like I was 21 again.
But right now I am in a great place. I am in an amazing relationship with a man who treats me honestly like I am the best woman on earth. Even knowing my past. I smile more then I ever have in my life.

I bring this up because my mom is visiting us in Chicago right now and yesterday we visited Navy Pier for her first time. She took pictures of us when we didn’t know. When we were leaving she showed me one in particular and told us that she is so glad to have Ben in my life because he brings out the Jessi she hasnt seen since I was about 14.
14 was the age I started drinking daily and changed my personality to this unhappy bitchy person.

My whole life I acted like I was still a hormonal teen who couldn’t get their shit together and who everyone was scared to say the wrong thing to because I could explode at any given time.

I am no longer that person. So today I would say after 3 years sober I am getting closer to acting my own age of 34 but I still am a big kid at heart. Only difference is now I’m the fun kid not the scary one🥰

7 Likes