Action for Happiness - Active April

What’s a Terrier. I thought you meant the dog breed?!?

I have bull breeds - loyal, loving and lazy :blush:

1 Like

I have a border collie - she is 9 now and slowing down a bit but she can still hold her own on a 10 mile walk (and the rest, ha). She would play fetch all day if anyone would keep it up with her.

1 Like

DAY 15

My plan is to do the Silver Peak District Challenge in September. So will be signing up to that today I guess. Eek.

2 Likes

Wow - I just looked that up. Good for you :raised_hands::raised_hands:. I’m going to look into some hiking challenges too - maybe Scottish as it will be closer! I’ll report back :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am looking forward to it although I did a 55km/35 mile walk last year and it was hard. That didn’t include any night time walking either… But I loved doing the training for it and it keeps me motivated to keep it up, having something to aim for!

One of my neighbours did the West Highland Way which sounds amazing. 96 miles though so they spread it out over a week I think.

1 Like

DAY 16

Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time.

I have been sleeping pretty well lately but not springing out of bed (in fact have overslept the last couple of days). I’ve also been going to bed at 10pm, rather than going to sleep then. Will aim to be in bed for 9:30pm!

1 Like

One of the challenges - the Caledonian challenge - I wanted to do isn’t running this year so I think I might devise my own.

1 Like

I usually go to bed around 9:30 and aim to sleep around 10pm though I bounce up at 5. I’m not a great sleeper to be honest but will focus on ensuring proper downtime in advance!!

That sounds good! I did the Sandstone Trail (34 miles) last year on my own. It was hard but I’m so glad I did it. That’s just one walking route but I imagine you would be able to do something similar across a couple. I’ve not walked in Scotland but I would guess major walking routes like WHW would be really well signed and easy to follow.

1 Like

DAY 17

Choose to park further away and enjoy some extra exercise.

This is tricky for me as I have a work carpark and not really sure where else I would go. Will do a longer dog walk this evening instead!

2 Likes

Wakey wakey @siand! What are we doing today? :grin:

I didn’t have much time yesterday to chat. 34 miles is an awesome trek, I would love to do that. How was your dog walk last night - glorious weather right?

I was working from home yesterday so I did a longer and fast paced walk with my dogs too!

1 Like

DAY 19

Do stretch and breathe exercises at 3 different times through the day.

Here are a few quick yoga sequences, I’m going to do the 5 minute morning one now!

2 Likes

Haha you got me :face_with_hand_over_mouth: It’s because my bf is off this week (Easter hols), I normally drop him off at work on my way in but my work is super flexible, so I don’t have the same motivation to get up, ha!

I did my longer walk at lunchtime in the end as he took Lady for a good stretch. It was lovely! :sun_with_face::raised_hands:

Would definitely recommend the long distance walking thing. Having a challenge to aim for was important for me - although it was really hard and the 34 miles in itself wasn’t that enjoyable (the second half was pure slog - lots of cows and 30degs!), the training leading up to it was amazing and I learned so much about myself. If I didn’t have the 34 miles at the end I wouldn’t have stayed motivated to go out walking as much.

1 Like

I’ll definitely try some stretch and breathing exercises. Might be just what I need to punctuate my work and off load some pressure. Thank you :blush:

1 Like

I did two lots of stretching. It felt really lovely. Must get back to regular yoga!

1 Like

DAY 19

Take an extra break in your day and go for a 15 minute walk outside.

Well it’s a day off today, I don’t think I’ll be doing much that I need to take breaks from :face_with_hand_over_mouth: But I’m currently just lying in bed and I can hear the birds waking the world up. Might get out for a quick stretch now!

2 Likes

I didn’t stretch but I did just under 25k steps and 11 miles - I’ll stretch today. I used to do yoga and loved it but I have a really arthritic knee from an old car accident which makes some of the moves difficult now.

I’m up! I am working today but I always got my walks in (dogs make sure of it!!) so I have this nailed :grin: :trophy::zap:

Wow that’s good steps! I never hit those kind of numbers on work days. 7-10k is good for me (a lunchtime walk and then another after work with the dog). How do you fit it in?!

What do you do for work that means you’re working today instead of bank holidaying?

P.s. I decided to have a cup of tea before going out for a morning walk! :coffee:

1 Like