Action for Happiness - Jump Back July

The theme for July is resilience, finding ways to bounce back.

“All of us have times of stress, loss, failure or trauma in our lives. But how we respond to these has a big impact on our wellbeing. We often cannot choose what happens to us, but in principle we can choose our own attitude to what happens. In practice it’s not always easy, but one of the most exciting findings from recent research is that resilience , like many other life skills, can be learned.”

I’ll be posting daily (or aiming to), join in for as much or as little as you like.

11 Likes

DAY 1

Make a list of things that you’re looking forward to.

1. Spending time at the allotment.
  2. When the chickens start laying eggs.
  3. Going to a yoga festival later this month.
  4. Seeing some old friends later this month.
  5. Going camping over the summer holidays.
  6. Going to a belly dance festival in October.
4 Likes

DAY 2

Find an action you can take to overcome a problem or a worry.

Hmmmm… I have lots of worries :joy: One thing I am going to do right now is pay for a hall I hired back in May. They haven’t chased me for it but I want to get it sorted and also arrange booking it again for the next do we have planned.

@Peace12 @bootz @anon13078412 you in on this month?

4 Likes

Day 1; I’m looking forward to the extra day off I have with my kids on the 4th

I’m looking forward to not having an extra bill this month (this is me speaking in a way where I’m manifesting what I want to happen lol)

Really starting to workout again, maybe mid month

5 Likes

Okey dokey :hugs:

1. Taking a road trip to see my parents and siblings this weekend for my Dads 75th Birthday
  2. Going on holiday in August and having a whole week without work
  3. Getting a hospital appointment out of the way :joy:

Ok so that was trickier than I thought but it does tell me that I need to build more non work related activities into my life!

4 Likes

For me it will be to work diligently to reduce the strain of a never ending work load as that’s what causes me the most strain really.

1 Like

Day 2; I’m going to present the question “clog or cleanse?” as much as possible this month. I’m trying to be more mindful in my actions, words, thoughts and feelings.

“Will this clog (take away from my goals) or cleanse (add positively to my goals)?”

6 Likes

Well I’m sure it won’t surprise you to hear me say, definitely less work! :joy:

Is there anything you can do to reduce your workload? I am a massive fan of the 4 day week.

2 Likes

@Eke saw your like there, wanna join? Also @aircircle @SassyRocks - the more the merrier!

5 Likes

Great to have you join us! :heart:

And you too @Bootz - I believe the phrase is totes amazeballs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

3 Likes

I’m definitely in thanks. I’ve had a look through and should be able to accomplish most of them. I see it as a guide to living a better life and learning to appreciate it so I thank you for creating it :+1::grin:

2 Likes

I like that, I will try to start looking at things in that way :+1::grinning:

2 Likes

For day two so far I can use my recently acquired tax rebate to buy new power tools to replace ones I shamefully sold to feed my drug addiction. It will overcome the problem of having to work an unskilled job to re purchase them which would depress me where I should be doing my carpentry work. It’s an expensive trade but once you are set up it pays well and brings me a sense of fulfillment.
That works for me for day two anyway :grin::grinning:

4 Likes

Amazing. The financial freedom from sobriety is brilliant isn’t it? Being able to spend any spare cash on things that you actually want or need, things that serve you. What type of carpentry do you do, wood work/furniture or more construction stuff?

1 Like

I do a bit of bench joinery (furniture etc) in the garage at home but it’s more site type work in trained in and do, literally anything involving wood or plastic in and around the home.
Yeah it’s fantastic, I was spending a heck of a lot of money every week so with that saving from thirty days and some money I had in an ISA I’ve had a holiday, new top teeth (10) and a whole new wardrobe. I need about a thousand pounds worth of tools but my rebate was 800 but it’s enough to get me back in work.
Yep sobriety absolutely rocks :+1::grinning:

1 Like

I’m with @Bootz today to refocus my mind and try to lift this great sadness I will go walking. I’m going to try follow this month plan :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well if you have any time spare for some side hustle I would love a nice custom bookcase :joy:

That is such a huge amount to be able to do after just a month. What a great motivation to keep you going. Wow, am absolutely blown away by that!

1 Like

One foot in front of the other :footprints::heart:

I find walking very therapeutic.

1 Like

Hey if you provide the measurements is be happy to make one, not to earn money is be quite happy if you just covered the materials which wouldn’t be much :grinning:

1 Like

Me too, I use to do loads but have gotten out of the way of it sadly. Time to shake myself and get back into it x

1 Like