Alcoholic fisherman in recovery

Have you seen this doc @JasonFisher …quite interesting.

I havent seen it. I let Netflix go when they did the film Cuties.

It looks interesting though.

2 Likes

Thanks for your continued support in my recovery.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Back at ya!

I didnt realize it was 700 days yesterday until this morning. The days have flying by.

I had to work today. I hardly had a chance to check in here. Its really cool to be able to celebrate here. Its just another day in the rest of the world. I have 700 sober days to reflect on. 700 days I haven’t made an ass out of myself.

I’ve made a lot of changes.

I don’t feel at all like the same person anymore. Recovery isn’t easy. Its worth it!

12 Likes

Subscriber number 120! Excited to watch these videos!! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

700 freakin’ days! Good on ya, brother!

2 Likes

700 days is outstanding!! Congratulations!!
It’s beautiful to watch your growth during your journey through your videos & pics. Thank you for allowing us a glimpse into your real life. :heart:

2 Likes

This is a bigger deal than I ever realized, until recently. It’s something to be celebrated and seen as tremendous progress. I’m just starting to recognize aspects of this in myself.

Thanks for being you and telling your stories. I appreciate you! Congrats on 700 days of freedom.

2 Likes

Amazing @JasonFisher . I’m acouple days from 200 …good to pop back in to TS and be glad that others are still doing alright.:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

2 Likes

Holy cow you’re aiming for your own boat, I can’t believe this! Absolutely amazing!!! I am blown away by your story every time I read.

2 Likes

Yep, good call. That was the main trigger for me to ditch it also.

1 Like

That’s awesome! Your killin it!

1 Like

It’s been a goal for a long time. As a drunk I could never stay focused long enough to achieve it.

Now, I’m focused. I’m tired of working for other people. I’m confidant about having the experience and the abilities to be successful.

It’s time! The universe has put the perfect starter boat in my path. I just have to spend my beer money on this now.

I’m going to make it happen!

5 Likes

What a grind! The weather is turning shitty. I get a day off.

It’s been a fun grind!
The North Beach salmon fishery is my favorite!

We target fall Chinook (king) salmon. We have two pristine rivers close to home. Their mouths are within 2 miles of each other on each side of the treacherous waters of Cape Blanco.

We troll sunrise to sunset. The scenery is amazingly beautiful!

They are big, strong fish. It’s shallow, making them pretty challenging to catch. A ten fish day is good! We are allowed 70 fish a week. We got 65 for the week. We highlined. The 2nd place got 30. There’s 30 other boats fishing hard too.

Skipper is a really good fisherman.

He’s been mostly fun. He hasn’t been drinking alot. Sometimes there’s a lot of time between bites. It’s easy to drink alot of beer salmon fishing. He’s been doing pretty good not drinking.

When I do see or hear a beer crack. It hasn’t been attractive at all to me. He has been keeping his shit together pretty good all summer. I like him.

Even though he has been keeping his shit together, it hasn’t been making my alcoholic mind jealous, or attracted to trying to make it work for me again.

I’m grateful for that! I feel grounded in recovery.

Even though we get along good and I’ve made good money fishing with him, I’m ready to sail on next year. Its time to be my own skipper.

The boat I’m going to buy was his first commercial fishing boat. That’s pretty cool. We will be running partners salmon and tuna fishing next year.

There are many similarities in my previous long term recovery.

At two years sober I started a construction company. I did really good because I was sober, confidant and focused.

This time I’m buying a boat. I love fishing more than building!

I reflect on my past alot while I’m on the water.

I see where I let recovery lose its magic. Where it began and why. I see and feel the magic of recovery so strong right now. I’m steering my life back into the direction I got sidetracked from.

At two years sober I moved here because I felt I wanted to nuture becoming an artist. I was tired of the rat race. I was burnt out on being a contractor.

I wanted a simpler life, instead I started another construction company. I married a bucket of red flags, and became materialistic. I became a slave to making money. I created a complicated stressful life. I was devastated when it crumbled.

It allowed my inner artist to bloom, but my relapse prevented it from blossoming.

I realized I’m currently doing exactly what I came here to do 18 years ago.

Better late than never!

One day at a time…

15 Likes

Some good changes have happened recently.

My co-worker Tweaky has been really flakey lately.

When we were salmon fishing, Skipper told me my best friend called him and said he wanted to crab with us. I told him I liked the idea. I don’t hang out with him much since I quit drinking. He still drinks. I failed at staying sober a several times because I kept hanging out with him.

I told him I liked the idea.

Tweaky has been hard to work with for over a year. Last year he was spun out before the season started. It got worse from there. We let him go after a few weeks. There weren’t a lot of crab around and we didn’t need him.

Matt took some time off and he got back on the boat for the summer. He was belly up most of the time this summer. It was frustrating.

My friend doesn’t like to do gear work. That makes more work for Matt and I but it gives us a bigger percentage, so its worth it.

Matts sober, I’m sober. We run the back deck. We get along really good. You could say he has become my best friend. This is the 3rd season we have worked together.

He is grounded in recovery too. Its really cool! He has been getting all the rewards that being clean and sober gives us. His relationship with his kids is back on point. His girlfriend has quit drinking. Recovery is extremely important to him too.

Tweaky has been laid off!

Tweakys replacement sleeps in between trips, and I wont ever see a glass pipe and bag of shards on the boat. He doesn’t drink on the ocean, so that’s good!

My friend has alot of crabbing experience. Skipper is an awesome crabber. We have an all star team! There is alot of crab out there!

We have four or five more days worth of gear work and then we are ready to crab! I get some down time waiting for the official opening date. It could be between Dec 1st and Feb 15th. I think it will be a mid December opener this year. The crab are hard and ready to harvest. Its just the politics that have to be worked out. Price. The buyers always try to low ball us. Then negotiating takes place. We meet in the middle and go.

I’ve been struggling with my camera addiction lately. I dont need any new cameras. I have more than what I need.

Go-pro has released their latest camera. High resolution, incredible slow motion abilities, it makes me drool when I see it.

DJI has released the mavic 3 drone. Its quite an upgrade from what I have, and I want it really bad!

I would be spending money I have saved for my boat if I get these. My current gear does what I need it to, so I’m saying no! No new cameras until I’m fishing my own boat!

That new drone is a struggle! I want it BAD!!

My two year milestone was awesome. It was just another day to most of my life, but you all helped make it awesome! The support I got here was AWESOME!! Thank you! I’m riding that milestone cloud! High AF on life today!

A drink feels far away! :muscle:

15 Likes

Such a good update!! That’s all awesome news. I’m glad you’re able to stop yourself from buying more camera gear that you don’t need. That’s great tweaky is gone too, I know he’s been a problem for a while based on your previous posts.

I’ve struggled with the unnecessary spending a little bit in sobriety as well. I’m not used to having as much money because it used to all go to booze. Being sober has kind of been like having a side job that I don’t have to work for, with all the money I’ve saved.

I hope you’re able to save up enough to get that boat soon, you deserve it for all the hard work you’ve put in. I could see you becoming a YouTube star or even have a TV show with all your amazing photography and videography.

6 Likes

So happy to read Jason. You deserve it all. And being sober you can rationally make your decision about not spending anymore money on cameras and save for that beautiful boat you want.
I’m glad tweaky is out. He sounded like an accident waiting to happen.
No no no. Thank YOU for being here for us. You give us so much being here with us.
Ride that sober bday as long as you can. You’re worth it.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

It disgusts me how much I pissed away. Literally. Im glad we dont have to do that anymore.

Its easy to become a shopaholic. Electronics are guaranteed to have something better come out the week after you invest.

The boat I have my eye on needs some upgrades. It needs a new trailer. My camera addiction is trying to tell me “You know there’s crab! You can do this!”

It would be smarter for me to spend my beer money on the boat. After its making money, I can think about upgrading the drone.

Working on this boat, my cameras cant interfere with fishing. Even if I have a moment, I cant grab my Canon and take photos without skipper complaining. I set my cameras up and hope they don’t stop recording. I miss a lot, but I’m pretty proud of what I have been able to do. For a one man working film crew. I do pretty good.

I have to use music to narrate my films because skipper or my coworkers are always saying stupid shit that nobody needs to listen to. :rofl:

He was never to crazy about me filming. I had to manipulate it into something that could help him in order to do what I do. His mom loves my channel. That’s been good for me.

My own boat opens up filming and photography opportunities that I’m really excited about!

My channel is growing. The stats have improved a lot over the last few months.

8 Likes

Tweaky walked the plank! :rofl:

He was supposed to be doing gear work while we were salmon fishing. We were supposed to alternate trips salmon fishing. I wasn’t happy about that. I felt like I should get the North beach salmon season as a reward for being the dependable guy.

I gave him his day and he was worthlessly spun. He still didnt get fired. He was supposed to do gear work when we went out next time. He disappeared. He hasn’t show his face for a few weeks. We’ve all seen him around.

I hope he gets his shit together. I’m glad he is off the boat.

6 Likes