Alcoholic fisherman in recovery

Have you read Allen Carr easy way to control alcohol.
Or this Naked mind by Annie Grace.

These books take away the feeling of missing out and allow you to be comfortable and confident around alcohol, they really helped me they took any desires of me wanting alcohol away by showing me the truth.

Listen to them on audio book each book takes 8hrs. Keep strong

3 Likes

I kind of like the idea of hearing the " stupid shit" :rofl::joy: I genuinely do.

Congratulations on the all Star team! It’s brilliant!

PS do you get to name your boat or is it already named when you get it?

2 Likes

The power of the mom, I love it!

2 Likes

If I posted anything that made skipper look bad, That would end my filming opportunities pretty quick.
I could make a belly up tweaky compilation though… :thinking: :rofl: :rofl:

He has made it challenging at times. Hes pretty good at ruining good footage just by being in the cameras frame looking sick, or being sick. Or him getting yelled at by skipper.

Ive had one of my 360 cameras come up missing too. He is the only one that would possibly take it.

Theres a lot of superstitions in the fishing industry. One of them is changing a boats name is bad luck, unless you rebuild it. The boats name is Keta. I like the name.

3 Likes

Keta, like the fish? That’s a cool name. I see you at the helm of the Keta, looking after your crew and your haul.

2 Likes

It is the native american word for chum salmon.

1 Like

I try not to buy into superstitions, but I have a good story.

Bananas are bad luck on a boat is a common superstition.

The very first time I fished on the ocean was out of Garibaldi Oregon for salmon. We were sportfishing. Garibaldi is the port for Tillamook Bay. Tillamook Bay has five awesome salmon rivers that enter it. It gets a fantastic run of fall chinook.

We were launching the boat at 4am. My buddy was eating a banana. He had three more bananas visible in his gear box.

A salty looking fisherman asked him if he was going to take those bananas on the boat. My friend who was still chewing on a banana looked at him like he was crazy for asking and said “Fuck yeah! I love bananas!”

The guy replied. “Your doomed, your doomed…” He hung his head down as he said it and looked disgusted by it. We all laughed and jumped in the boat with the bananas and off we went.

The coast guard wasn’t letting any boats cross the bar. It was a big swell, but there was no wind. It looked nice. just smooth swell. No wind waves. It was calm looking.

We trolled in the bay. We caught a couple fish but it was slow. At noon we decided to go to the marina for lunch. Right after we ordered, the coast guard announced on the radio that they were letting boats cross the bar. We changed our order to go, and off we went.

We got outside of the bar, I dropped my bait and hooked up with a huge Chinook! After an epic battle, we landed the fish. It was huge! I had a 54 inch wide cooler and it didn’t even come close to being able to fit in the cooler. As we were celebrating, I notice a massive swell coming towards us.

The swell had been around ten feet. This one was much bigger! 30-40 feet. It was a sneaker/rogue wave. There were at least 100 boats in the area, and it broke on us, capsizing the boat and throwing all of us into the water. We got rescued. The boat got crumpled up like a beer can. and My giant salmon got taken back by the sea. Its still the biggest salmon I have ever caught.

I thought for sure I was about to meet my maker that day.

I haven’t eaten a banana since. They aren’t allowed on my boat.

They float upside down like a capsized boat. That’s where the superstition came from.

I imagine seeing a sunken trades ship back in the old days and if they had bananas on board they would be floating upside down where the ship sunk.

7 Likes

So this is not for you I guess

2 Likes

Those thrill seekers are flirting with death! :rofl:

2 Likes

I recall reading a book, I think “Blue Highways” by William Least Heat Moon, that discussed two other superstitions of fishermen. Nothing blue allowed on the boat, and no speaking the word “pig”. Did you ever hear those?

And that is the coolest story, btw! :ferry::banana:

1 Like

I havent. That book sound interesting, Id like to find it.

It’s about wandering around America. One of my favorite topics!

1 Like

I was 25 years old on that day. Oct 9th 1993. I was young, and invincible!

I was lead framing carpenter on a huge crew. We built huge projects mostly in the Seattle area. I worked hard and I partied even harder.

I drank a half rack of Raineer pounders on the drive home. I had never come so close to death. I was rattled.

It was a three wave set. When I was in the trough between the waves from the two behind the one that broke on us I thought for sure that it was over. No life jacket. I didn’t think anyone was going to come rescue us because if they did they would end up in the same situation.

When that set passed, a guide boat that saw it came and saved us.

Three of us. My banana eating buddy got saved first, me second, and Johnny the boat owner third. The Coastguard boat showed upon soon after and transferred us onto their bad ass boat and put us in a heated room. We were in the cold water for about 20 minutes. Johnny was a tall skinny guy. He was in the water the longest. He was convulsing like he was having a seizure. He got life flighted off the boat. He ended up ok. We all had minimal injuries.

The next day, I realized if I keep partying like a rock star, it was going to bring me to an early grave. I always knew. I never really cared. That changed.

I quit drinking. It was easy. No support, no big deal. It was just a decision I made, and I went with it. I didn’t drink for three or four years.

This is another reason chapter three of the Big Book is my favorite chapter.

Page 33:
" Then he fell victim to a belief which practically every alcoholic has – that his long period of sobriety and self-discipline had qualified him to drink as other men. "

It took a lot for me to figure that out. I was convinced I wasn’t alcoholic.

6 Likes

How many guardian angels have you worn out and sent to early retirement? Just wow.

1 Like

What’s your channel?..?:pray::blush:

He’s “Fish Tough!”, https://youtube.com/channel/UCwowYrvMC7T-qPl9bFodrCw

2 Likes

Wow wow, the editing an music adds a glamorous edge!.. brilliant.!!
(I didn’t like the hammer bit tho,)

2 Likes

Was it when we knock em out? I try and show that we don’t let them suffer and get them bled and on ice quickly.

I’ve been wondering if it’s too graphic sometimes.

3 Likes

We need to know where our food comes from.

2 Likes

That’s what I try to show. That we take really good care of our catch.

3 Likes