Almost threw 4 years away šŸ˜­

I worked 72 hrs a week for past 4 months and treated myself to a business class flight. I am literally sitting waiting for take off and I accept the glass of champagne that was offered to me. I even put it to my lips then I caught myself on. I asked hostess to take it " as I forgot I was off it for lent". Here I am, reading franticly and reminding myself why I stopped. This was too close for comfort, and has left me quite shook up. I did not drink and by coming on here, I just stopped myself from throwing away 4 years of sobriety.

58 Likes

proud of you!!! that takes a lot but you did it šŸ«¶šŸ¼

5 Likes

Wow that sounded like a very close call. What do u think lead to this close call after 4 years? The really long work hours? Going on this business trip? Im so glad u came on here instead. Proud of u :sparkles:

4 Likes

Glad you came on here. :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Truth be told, I have been thinking about drinking for a long time. I fantasized about my first time flying business and treating myself (ie drinking champagne) I tried telling myself this was the day I was going to hit the F it button in style, but I could not do it. I lifted glass to my lips and just about took a drink except I knew this would destroy me. I have a 12hr flight ahead of me, but I will get to my destination stronger, prouder, aware and more determined than ever to live my best life sober.

27 Likes

This site is very powerful and no matter how many days you have under your belt, the only day matters is today :pray:

12 Likes

I purposely avoided here all morning as I did not want to be ā€œtalked out of itā€ So interesting that it was the first place I jumped onto when I knew how close I came to that first sip.

8 Likes

Wow, friend. Thatā€™s a powerful share. I really appreciate it. Glad you are here!

2 Likes

The point is you walked the line successfully! Good for you!

4 Likes

There are three reasons the guys I work with at the jail start getting a strong sobriety then relapse.

1. Women
  2. Children
  3. Working mad hours

If you are not familiar with the acronym HALT, it reminds us to not let ourselves get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Working that schedule probably set off at least two of those triggers for you.

But wait! Thereā€™s more!

Your sobriety has been in trouble for a while friend, and it is still precarious. I hope you heed this wake up call and get it through your head, into your heart and down in your guts - anything you put in front of your sobriety will be lost when your sobriety is lost. Fantasizing about drinking is, last time I checked, on nobodyā€™s list as an effective strategy to grow sobriety. So wherever it is you are going on this trip - stop what you are doing and connect with a sober community. If youā€™re into AA, find a meeting there and get to it and raise your hand to let them know youā€™re in trouble. If youā€™re not into AA for some reason - take a good hard look at what you are willing to do to get sober. If the answer is ā€œanything but thatā€, I fear for you. A 100% commitment to sobriety isnā€™t restored by refusing the glass you ordered, looked at and raised to your lips. Itā€™s restored by sobriety focused work and growth.

Working is great, but I think old Red Redding (Shawshank Redemption) would peg you as one who is getting busy dying.

As proud as others here are of your action, and grateful that you did not drink, donā€™t fool yourself. You are on a slippery slope wearing skis. Take action if you want a serene contented sobriety.

22 Likes

@SinceIAwoke have you ever published anything? I sincerely love the way you express yourself. If you are not a sponsor, you should be. Your insight into sobriety is deeper than most Iā€™ve heard.

8 Likes

Iā€™m just an over-educated drunk who had a moment of grace and honest guides. Iā€™ve seen a lot of life, a lot of sobriety and a few who didnā€™t make it. Itā€™s my primary purpose now to stay sober and help other alcoholics get to sobriety. Thatā€™s what they told me in AA, and they havenā€™t lied to me yet.

12 Likes

Glad you was able to snap back and didnā€™t take that drunk. Good :+1:t4: for you and i will piggy back off woke and thatā€™s if we put anything in front of our sobriety for me i am doomed that means work, family, events etc etc. I was to its God, my sobriety and everything else. Anyway thanks for sharing and thanks Woke for the share to this topic.

3 Likes

Good for you for saying no to the champagne after romanticizing it and fantasizing about it. Luckily, you came to your senses and didnā€™t drink it. Nonetheless you did have it on your mind. Donā€™t let that snowball on you. Begin to think about the beginning of your sobriety and what you did to keep yourself sober. Refresher course. Congratulations on staying sober and for completing the work that you were doing.

That sounds almost like my last relapse :flushed:
Was sober for 5 years and romanticizing the drinking. At my birthday dinner I thought I was cured and drank a glass of wine.
That was the beginning of 1,5 year of drinking again. Glad Iā€™m sober again and have learned Iā€™m never ā€œcuredā€.
I canā€™t fix this addiction, but I can live with it by abstain.
Glad you did not relapse! :facepunch:

3 Likes

Youā€™ve been given tons of better advice than I can give you but as someone who is lucky enough to fly business regularly I can assure you that a mid flight hangover is truly, deeply awful! Dehydration at altitude is terrible. Because it wouldnā€™t have just been one glass now would itā€¦ it never is for us. Stay strong!

3 Likes

Nice job man. Not letting your success ruin your sobriety. Your not going to be hungover tomorrow. Your going to wake up feeling good and sober again. Congratulations.

1 Like

So proud of you. Strength and determination will conquer the demons. Keep striving for your health and sobriety. :rose:

1 Like

Good for you for not drinking that champagne.
And thanks for sharing, itā€™s always important for us to hear it could happen to anybody. I was told by an old timer once to not let the life that AA gave me get in the way of AA. Good job again for having the stewardess take away the glass. And thank your higher power for being able to do that so easily, just think what you could of have said if it isnā€™t the time of year for lent? Perhaps this is a good reminder to always have a plan before you travel. I heard that if you ask someone to put on the speaker at airports you are looking for friends of Bill W. At whichever gate and then others AA people will meet up there for support, I donā€™t remember exactly what you ask but Iā€™m sure someone in the forum would be able to say what it is.

5 Likes

You are 100% correct and I totally agree with everything you say. This has shook me, but I know I have been white knuckling for the past few months. I am not in a program, but I know that is my next step. I am lonely and I am tired and I guess angry that the life I once had is no longer with me. It has been four years, but I think I am only starting to grieve the process - if that makes sense.

7 Likes