Almost threw 4 years away šŸ˜­

Glad you was able to snap back and didnā€™t take that drunk. Good :+1:t4: for you and i will piggy back off woke and thatā€™s if we put anything in front of our sobriety for me i am doomed that means work, family, events etc etc. I was to its God, my sobriety and everything else. Anyway thanks for sharing and thanks Woke for the share to this topic.

3 Likes

Good for you for saying no to the champagne after romanticizing it and fantasizing about it. Luckily, you came to your senses and didnā€™t drink it. Nonetheless you did have it on your mind. Donā€™t let that snowball on you. Begin to think about the beginning of your sobriety and what you did to keep yourself sober. Refresher course. Congratulations on staying sober and for completing the work that you were doing.

That sounds almost like my last relapse :flushed:
Was sober for 5 years and romanticizing the drinking. At my birthday dinner I thought I was cured and drank a glass of wine.
That was the beginning of 1,5 year of drinking again. Glad Iā€™m sober again and have learned Iā€™m never ā€œcuredā€.
I canā€™t fix this addiction, but I can live with it by abstain.
Glad you did not relapse! :facepunch:

3 Likes

Youā€™ve been given tons of better advice than I can give you but as someone who is lucky enough to fly business regularly I can assure you that a mid flight hangover is truly, deeply awful! Dehydration at altitude is terrible. Because it wouldnā€™t have just been one glass now would itā€¦ it never is for us. Stay strong!

3 Likes

Nice job man. Not letting your success ruin your sobriety. Your not going to be hungover tomorrow. Your going to wake up feeling good and sober again. Congratulations.

1 Like

So proud of you. Strength and determination will conquer the demons. Keep striving for your health and sobriety. :rose:

1 Like

Good for you for not drinking that champagne.
And thanks for sharing, itā€™s always important for us to hear it could happen to anybody. I was told by an old timer once to not let the life that AA gave me get in the way of AA. Good job again for having the stewardess take away the glass. And thank your higher power for being able to do that so easily, just think what you could of have said if it isnā€™t the time of year for lent? Perhaps this is a good reminder to always have a plan before you travel. I heard that if you ask someone to put on the speaker at airports you are looking for friends of Bill W. At whichever gate and then others AA people will meet up there for support, I donā€™t remember exactly what you ask but Iā€™m sure someone in the forum would be able to say what it is.

5 Likes

You are 100% correct and I totally agree with everything you say. This has shook me, but I know I have been white knuckling for the past few months. I am not in a program, but I know that is my next step. I am lonely and I am tired and I guess angry that the life I once had is no longer with me. It has been four years, but I think I am only starting to grieve the process - if that makes sense.

7 Likes

Just woke up from a great sleep, and knowing I did not let myself down by talking to half the planeā€¦ and no hangover!

7 Likes

It does make sense, and that attitude is a positive start!

1 Like

Starting meetings sounds like a positive step. I am glad you woke up refreshed and not regretful.

I am currently reading Push Off From Here by Laura McKowen and some of your posts bring to mind a lot of what she has covered so far. Especially the grieving process. You may want to check out that book as well. I find gems and helpful bits in most all the sobriety / recovery / quit lit I read.

Finding purpose and asking ā€˜what now?ā€™ as the months and years add up in sobriety can definitely be a thing. Glad you continue to reach out and share. :people_hugging::heart:

4 Likes

Iā€™m holding you accountable for making a change in your sobriety. What have you done since the flight? What are you going to do today?

Honesty, open-mindedness and willingness are the principles I was taught in AA. I found that taking action, guided by those principles, got me out of my head. The same applies in other areas - often when Iā€™m feeling tired, Iā€™ll take a walk or do other physical activity like stacking wood, and I am refreshed and awake after that!

2 Likes

Sorry about delay in response, I am just getting my phone service sorted on trip. Thank you for holding me responsible. A few months ago when I know I was thinking about drinking again, I had the sense to go back into my tool box and see what could be added. I upped my workout schedule, I worked every hour God sent, and as a result, I left myself secluded, exhausted and lonely. What has clicked with me is that I was only running and not trying to figure out how can I live a happy, new normal life as a non drinker. What I know for sure now is that I need a program. I need to accept the things I cannot change, and I need support to do this. 4 years of trying to do this on my own is no longer working.

6 Likes

Thank you everyone for your messages, advice and support. I read, I am listening and I am going to continue to reach out for the help. I will update you all when I get back from my 2 week trip and in the comfort of my own home. I know, I personally need to join a program. I surrender to the fact that I can no longer do this on my own.

4 Likes

There are plenty of programs available. Maybe even a short outpatient rehab? This thread lists all sorts of different ones. Iā€™ll be happy to answer any questions you have!

2 Likes

Iā€™m feeling so proud of you right now, in the sober world thatā€™s a power move right there! You passed a huge test! Well done :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Hey bud, are you back home now? How did the rest of your trip go for your sobriety? What kind of programs have you checked out in your home area?

Our disorder is one that centers in the mind - we have a problem with thinking and perception. That is expressed by the drinking behavior. My experience is that my thinking was disordered long before I picked up a drink after whatever length of sobriety - hours or days or weeks. The thoughts just got stronger the minute I stopped drinking. One of the most detrimental that I had is that after some time away from the problem, I had the attitude that I did not need help, that the problem was now manageable or even non-existent.

That sort of thing would stop me from following through on the kind of commitment you made two weeks ago, to find help when you got home. So Iā€™m nudging you based on my experience with me, not with you. Your time away from the brush with disaster might have weakened the resolve you took in response to it.

1 Like

I have literally just landed back and still on runway! This return journey was so much easier and thoughts of drinking was not even as issue. I escaped by a thread, so I know I need to address this. Update to follow

1 Like

Stay strong and proud of your strength and determinationā€¦ :pray:
Always remind yourself of the good things that came out of your sobrietyā€¦
Today I was so afraid of relapsingā€¦ But I am trying to get through the day by venting about it hereā€¦

GREAT job sharing

This came to mind

wish you would step back from that ledge my friend,
You could cut ties with all the lies, that youā€™ve been living in,
And if you do not want to see me again, I would understand.

1 Like