And we're back!

Talking Sober’s maintenance is now complete and the community is available as usual again.

As you may have noticed, Talking Sober was experiencing an exceptionally high load the last few days. It was then offline and unavailable from yesterday until now. Due to these technical difficulties, I had no choice but to completely reinstall and restore Talking Sober from scratch.

For those interested, here is the story with more detail:

Talking Sober started taking a heavy performance hit over the last few days. This eventually caused the community to go into high volume mode where it was unavailable due to a lack of system resources. Normally this should never happen as the community’s infrastructure is more than adequate. I had a look to see what was going on. Going through the logs I then saw a massive scale attack from different devices and different IP addresses trying to breach the system’s admin account by brute forcing it. They were unsuccessful, but the scale of the attack caused a slow down of the site as it constantly had to process these authentication attempts. I am not sure if this was a manual or just an automated attempt by bots.

After seeing this I set about increasing security. I made several improvements to the system’s security. However, it required a system reboot and a Discourse reboot. Here I made the mistake of trying to fix things too quickly. I was nervous about the attacks. The reboots triggered an upgrade of Discourse. Normally this would not be an issue, but for some reason a few duplicate database entries crept in and it caused the database to not start correctly. The database was thus unusable.

Fortunately we had a relatively recent full backup of the community which I was then able to restore after some manual tweaks. It took me a good few hours, but I finally got it up. Unfortunately that means that there will be some data lost. I was only able to restore data up until the 16th of June 2021.

Here I would like to give massive thanks to our @patrons . It was thanks to their support that I had set up and was able to maintain the automatic backup system. These backups honestly saved the day in such a big way.

I’d also like to thank our @moderators who helped communicate and keep things calm.

Here are some after effects:

• You may need to log in again
  • If you don’t know your username or password, make use of the forgotten password feature. Be sure to keep an eye on your spam and junk folders too.
  • The server might be a bit slow for the next few hours as it ‘warms up’
  • There might be a few configuration items that I missed. If something seems broken, feel free to mention it here.
  • Going forward, the server will be faster and more stable with improved security
  • Unfortunately your posts from the last day or two might have been lost

As always, reach out if you have any concerns. I’ve replied to several emails, but I’m sure there are more questions from the community that I haven’t gotten to. For now I am going to bed and getting some rest, the last 24 hours have been brutal.

58 Likes

You do a relentless and thankless job and for that we are truly grateful. :+1:

12 Likes

Thank you so much for the wonderful site, getting it back and running, preserving so much of it. Enjoy your rest and wake up refreshed. Again, thank you.

3 Likes

Phew!

13 Likes

Thanks Robin, there are definitely some kinks in the system right now…we will see how things settle in.

Thanks for all of your hard work!! Hope you can get some rest now.

5 Likes

Discourse itself also had a major meltdown during this time.
Not sure if it’s related, or worked to compound the issues.
They talk about it on their Twitter feed.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for everything you do Robin!

3 Likes

Thank you very much for all you do. God bless.

3 Likes

Big thanks, and hope u get some rest.

3 Likes

Thank you for everything Robin !

3 Likes

Just want to mention that the Try Dry app that I also use which is based in the UK (I think) also went down for 24 hours yesterday.
I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but that seems like quite a big coincidence to me.

7 Likes

Thank you for everything. I’m sorry if you had to feel stress but I’ve been there (somewhere similar) and you’ve done an amazing job.

3 Likes

Thanks Robin for all your hard work and making this a great community
:pray::heart:

5 Likes

Thank you soooo much! I just became a Patron because of this! Thanks again :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks so much. This site has been a life saver for me since I have not been able to get into any aa program with a sponsor yet. Your hard work is very much appreciated.

6 Likes

Thank you @Robin, I wish you a good recreation after this heavy experience!

5 Likes

@Robin you da man!

5 Likes

@robin thank you for all you do for us! Get some well-deserved rest.

4 Likes

All the kids are off school and on Discourse! Including my son!

2 Likes