Annual January Planking Challenge

Day 14 done. Splitting it in two parts with a 5 second break in between. :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

Day 14 done, first thing i did this morning.

2 Likes

Day 14 done.
Since we had a rest day, here are two thoughts from Marcus Aurelius. I’m still chewing on the second one (2.17), particularly the meaning of “philosophy” and the implication that it is the eternal. The first quote can apply very much to my thinking on sobriety (the value of the present day as the only reality) as well as to contemplation on proper living and dying. I’ve added my own emphasis.

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
2.14 Even if you’re going to live three thousand more years, or ten times that, remember: you cannot lose another life than the one you are living now, or live another one than the one you’re losing. The longest amounts to the same as the shortest. The present is the same for everyone; its loss is the same for everyone, and should be clear that a brief instant is all that is lost. For you can’t lose either the past or the future; how could you lose what you don’t have?

Remember two things:

1. that everything has always been the same, and keeps recurring, and it makes no difference whether you see the same things recur in a hundred years or two hundred, or in an infinite period;
  2. that the longest lived and those who will die soonest lose the same thing. The present is all they can give up, since that is all you have, and what you do not have, you cannot lose.

++++++++++

Human life.

• Duration: momentary
  • Nature: changeable
  • Perception: dim
  • Condition of body: decaying
  • Soul: spinning around
  • Fortune: unpredictable
  • Lasting fame: uncertain
  • Summary: The body and its part are a river, the soul a dream and mist, life is warfare and a journey far from home, lasting reputation is oblivion.

Then what can guide us?

Only philosophy. Which means making sure that the power within stays safe and free from assault, superior to pleasure and pain, doing nothing randomly or dishonestly, nor dependent on anyone else’s doing or not doing something. And making sure that it accepts what happens and what is dealt as coming from the same place it came from. And above all, that it accepts death in a cheerful spirit, as nothing but the dissolution of the elements from which each living thing is composed. If it doesn’t hurt the individual elements to change continually into one another, why are people afraid of all of them changing and separating? It’s a natural thing. And nothing natural is evil.

5 Likes

Day 14 :white_check_mark: Switched from low to high plank a few times but made it through in 1 go. :confetti_ball:

5 Likes

Day 14 done. Same went up after a minute and came down and finished

3 Likes

Day 15 done before bootcamp this morning. Still staying in the flat plank, but I’m shaking for sure!

3 Likes

Day 15 :heavy_check_mark:

Marcus Aurelius on not waiting for your life to begin…

Meditations, 3.1
Not just that every day more of our life is used up and less and less of it is left, but this too: if we live longer, can we be sure our mind will still be up to understanding the world - to the contemplation that aims at divine and human knowledge? If our mind starts to wander, we’ll still go on breathing, go on eating, imagining things, feeling urges and so on. But getting the most out of ourselves, calculating where our duty lies, analyzing what we hear and see, deciding whether it’s time to call it quits-all the things you need a healthy mind for…all those are gone.
So we need to hurry.
Not just because we move daily closer to death but also because our understanding - our grasp of the world - may be gone before we get there.

4 Likes

Day 15 done.
It’s getting serious :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Day 15 done :white_check_mark:

6 Likes

Day 15 :white_check_mark: made it to a minute before moving to high plank. I just realized when I looked at the calendar I did 1:45 yesterday :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

Day 14 done :white_check_mark:…had to take a 1 sec adjustment moment at the 20 sec mark

Day 15 done :white_check_mark: …went into high plank at the 40 second mark

7 Likes

Day 14 and 15 both done. I did most of that 3 min 30 in high plank. That will teach me to forget a day.

5 Likes

Day 14 done.

I got behind a day. I’ll finish Day 15 in a bit.

7 Likes

Day 15 done :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Went to boot camp this morning and then came home to plank, that’s the wrong order for sure! Day 16 is done though.

2 Likes

Day 16 :white_check_mark: now to get ready for interval run. I don’t wanna :cold_face::cold_face::cold_face: I read something once “there is no bad weather only bad gear” It’s 7f here so I’ll be layered up

3 Likes

Day 16 done :white_check_mark: most of it in high plank though.

4 Likes

As long as it gets done, it’s a win!!
Personally I find high plank to be more comfortable Low plank is super hard for me with these longer times

2 Likes

I’m stuck in work till late tonight, because of this miserable weather. I’m off the next couple days. I’ll double up and catch yous

4 Likes

Day 16 done. It’s amazing how much of this is mental. Watching the clock count down is the worst way for me to meet this challenge.

An excerpt from Marcus.

Meditations 2.4
…trusting that all is for the best. For we carry our fate with us - and it carries us.

6 Likes