Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

Currently Reading David Goggins “Can’t Hurt Me”

2 Likes

A book I recently absolutely adored was We start at the end by Chris Whittaker. Some TW to be noted in it, but overall it’s the most heart clenching read this year. Loved it.

1 Like

Yesss!!! Another David Goggins fan! I just finished that book over the weekend. So good, he’s got such an incredible story. A lot of people don’t care for his approach, but I love it! Lol

1 Like

I love to read, it is one of the many things I quit doing when I was drinking. Finally picking books back up. Bought some quit lit I saw suggested on here. Currently reading Quit Like Woman (Holly Whitaker). Then it’s on to Recovery (Russel Brand) and The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober (Catherine Gray). I read non-fiction, a lot of biographies, memoirs, and true crime.

5 Likes

One thing I am sooooo stoked about now that I’ve been clean for almost 6 and 1/2 months is that my voracious reading appetite has returned!

In the last 10 weeks, alone, I have read the Mistborn Trilogy (original 3) by Brandon Sanderson, the Three-Body Problem trilogy by Cixin Liu and now I am re-reading the Deepgate Codex trilogy (which begins with Scar Night) by Alan Campbell.

That’s 7 books in 10 weeks (okay, I’m rounding up … it’s ACTUALLY 6 books and 482-pages-of-a-549-page-SOON-to-be-7th-book … but who’s counting :crazy_face:)!

Huzzah!

10 Likes

If this title rings a bell for you: the series dropped on Amazon prime recently. Being me, I wanted to read the book first. I’ve read quite a few Harlan Coben, he always delivers. But with his massive back catalogue I’ve not come round to his Mickey Bolitar trilogy. A young adult spin off to the long running Myron Bolitar book series.

So I just finished it. Took me about a week to finish, restraining myself not to devour it in one sitting. Easy to read, and though the book is a fiction/crime story, the interpersonal sub-stories kept me really interested. With Mickey having recently lost his dad in a car crash, now forced to live with his estranged uncle. His mum in rehab after taking to drugs in her grief. I guess the second book will be a new main story, but I’m really looking forward to how these family connections play out between Mickey, his mum and his uncle.

And now I can start watching the series :smiley:
:squid:

5 Likes

I was thinking about it. I thought it would be “mushy”. I might just check it out. Thank you :blush:

Don’t just read the book, Study this book! (Bring a highlighter) :pray:

Love QLAW and Catherine’s book as well!!!

1 Like

3 Likes

I usually prefer physical books but I’m starting to add in audiobooks for while I’m at work. Finished these two last week.

5 Likes

BBC radio 4 has an abridged version of “Really Good, Actually”. Available for free on BBC sounds. I really enjoyed it and wished I had the full version.

1 Like

Do you use the Libby app at all? I checked it out on there. That’s where I get all my audio and ebooks from. I have family and friends in bigger cities that let me put their library card info into the app so I have access to more books from bigger libraries.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I googled the app and found info that it works with the London library, but couldn’t find anything about the rest of UK. But I do have an audible subscription. I do love audiobooks :heart:

1 Like

I am a big Libby fan. Just finished The Lake Shore Limited by Sue Miller. I thought it was a new book of hers (I enjoy her books), but just realized it is from 2010. Took a bit to engage me, but by midway, I was in thrall. And there were a few sections that took my breath away. Life, marriage, love, grief.

1 Like

Just started and so far I love it.

7 Likes

I loved it! I really like Holly, I feel like I connect with her.

2 Likes

This book makes me want to get trapped in an elevator with Stephen King. I bet we’d get along. That opening scene is nuts!

3 Likes

He’d be my “if you could meet any celebrity” choice. The only book I’ve read of his so far that I haven’t absolutely loved was Fairytale- I still enjoyed it but it was different.

1 Like

I don’t love his dragon fantasy stuff and I haven’t read Fairy Tale probably for that reason. His dark and creepy keeps me up at night. I can vividly picture scenes from his books years after I’ve read them.

3 Likes