Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

You will surly enjoy audio books … Greg margarite & mark Nelson are 2 of my favorite audio book narrators … They have both narrated a lot of audio books , also check out OLD TIME RADIO classics from the 40s & 50s , lots of good radio shows from that era

1 Like

Somehow the last ten years the number of books I read have gone down steeply. Use to read books, both fiction and non fiction, all the time. Internet has taken a lot of my book reading away. Reading more books than one at the same time is my normal mode. Right now I’m reading The Dalai Lama’s Cat by David Michie which is a nice playful introduction to that branch of Buddhism. And Navajo wear nikes which is an interesting account by (white) journalist/writer Jim Kristofic about growing up in the Navajo nation (which I travelled two years ago).

4 Likes

I read about one book a day right now. A lot of just-published novels this year (kinda a work thing). A couple of recent good ones by writers whom I hadn’t read before: Sam Lloyd, Memory Wood (thriller about child abduction, implausible but total page turner); Douglas Stewart, Shuggie (childhood in Glasgow with alcoholic mom, really vivid); Such a Fun Age (such a fun skewering of white privilege); This mournable body (great novel about class and social mobility in Africa); your house will pay (Rodney king riots, really well done); Rodham (so fun, alternate history); and a bunch more. Water Dancer I found disappointing; too much an essay not fully built as a world.

5 Likes

Wait… You read a book a day for work? :heart_eyes: I would absolutely love that!!! How do I sign up? :sweat_smile: I think that’s awesome.

3 Likes

Very good so far

1 Like

Looks like we have a lot of readers in here. Glad to see. I’m not usually an Audiobook person, but I was gifted a book today to help with some of the things going on in my life:

This Naked Mind
(Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Discover Happiness, and Change Your Life)
By: Annie Grace

So this will be my first foray into Audiobooks. Hope it helps.

14 Likes

For audiobook listeners with literary/ historical tastes: the Hilary Mantel audiobooks are really well read. Reader does great voices. I like to “read” when I walk and I’m almost done with the mirror and the light. It’s too long, the research shows, but she’s fabulous anyway, great scene setting, vivid characters, convincing historically in voice and mood (which is sooo hard, most historical fiction fails instantly on that), and you gotta love a 40 hour epic in praise of a boring old bureaucrat.

6 Likes

This is a great thread! Thanks so much for starting it.
I am a big reader and have been catching up big time during the quarantine, finishing up book #10 this week!
I am currently finishing Quiet for kids by Susan Cain. I read the version written for adults last week. Both were great, in my opinion. I also read a few of Adam Grant’s books. Give and Take, Originals, and Option B were very interesting.

5 Likes

Jordan Peterson is brilliant. I think I could listen to him lecture for hours. 12 Rules for Life is on my ‘to read’ list along with Maps of Meaning.

4 Likes

I just finished the autobiography of Robert Clary called “From Holocaust to Hogan’s Heros” it was very interesting.

2 Likes

I’m reading The Happiness Trap, Walking on Eggshells, and working a DBT work book. One day I’ll read something more exciting.

5 Likes

Just finished Call the Nurse: True Stories of a Country Nurse on a Scottish Isle by Mart J Macleod.
Set in 1970s, light read and change of pace from more serious life changing events right now.

3 Likes

Also, re-read The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields

5 Likes

That one’s my favorite @SaltyChick! Such good stuff in there. And so easy to read. Hope it speaks to you like it did to me. And it continues to reveal new insight each time I read it. :blush:

3 Likes

I love his work too. I used to be an avid reader but after having kids and family i started reading way less. Now during the pandemic i have more free time and im reading a lot again.

Does anyone have suggestions of great non fiction books? I love stuff like philosophy and works that can teach us new perspectives and improve our lives. (Not new age mystical stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didnt see the pic before, i love it! :grin:
I cant wait to see your list, thank you! :hugs:

1 Like

If you like Jordan Peterson I would recommend Carl Jung. Modern Man In Search of a Soul is a good place to start. Its tough going, the sort of book where you end up reading every page twice, but well worth it. It really got my head spinning :+1:

2 Likes

51YIvSMS-QL
Read this in a day last week. Easy read. Historical fiction.

Now I’ve picked up this one for the umpteenth time to attempt to read the whole thing.
And then there are these two I’ve been picking up and putting down for a couple years:
Meditations. Marcus Aurelius
Women Who Run with Wolves. Clarissa Pinkola Estes.

4 Likes

5 Likes

The Chain. It’s a thriller/mystery set in the North Shore area of Boston. Really good and a perfect beach read!

4 Likes