Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

You really sparked me to think of books and writers I like. Neil Gaiman is a great writer and very diverse. Tom Wolfe The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test is a classic and I loved A Man in Full. Ken Kesey Cuckoo’s Nest and Sometimes a Great Notion so well crafted. Annie Proulx The Shipping News and Barkskins. Anything by Aldous Huxley. But the book I read in rehab Polishing the mirror by Ram Dass had a profound affect on me. It opened my heart chakra. Ok I am done.

1 Like

I think we have similar tastes in books, tho I tend more to female authors. Joyce Maynard is a favorite. Her autobiography, At Home In The World, is fascinating. Her novels are amazing, many have been made into movies.

Another book, a quiet one, but so beautifully written, is Crow Lake by Mary Lawson.

Dorothy Allison’s Bastard Out of Carolina is a rough and rewarding read, as is Carolyn Chute’s The Beans of Egypt Maine (which 100% reminds me of my home state).

And yes to anything Ram Dass wrote. Be Here, Now…I need as a tattoo.

1 Like

Thank you Sassyrocks added those titles to my growing list. Hope you don’t mind if I change it up. I just watched an incredible film on Netflix that I feel compelled to share. My Octopus Teacher. It’s 90 minutes of joy

1 Like

I had heard that about the octopus…will add to the list!! Thanks!!

1 Like

I am about a quarter of the way into Bewilderment. It is brilliant. Richard Powers, what an amazing writer. He had to have done a lot of research to cover so many subjects with such detail. Put this on your list right next to Thr Overstory.

1 Like

I will!! I read good things about The Overstory.

Oh wow! I haven’t read any of those, haha. My Dad read a lot of Stephen King when I was younger. I will have to ask him if he’s read The Stand.

Thanks for sharing. My very favourite is The Princess Bride 👰🏼‍♀️ this book (and the movie) brought me so much joy and escape when I was younger - still does! Haha

I also love Lee Childs books - is Jack Reacher series are my fav!!

Mostly, however, I find myself drawn to books that are non-fiction and about person/spiritual growth :relaxed:

I am always wishing I had more time to read, lol but really I’ve just gotta make more time. If I’d put my phone down more often I’d no doubt free up a whole lot more time :sweat_smile: but, that’s more difficult than I’d like to admit lol

3 Likes

The Princess Bride is wonderful! I read the book just a few years ago and loved it.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to sink my teeth into this bad boy…

10 Likes

Looks amazing @Its_me_Stella . Looks like I will have to add it to my list. Thanks for the share.

1 Like

Hello everyone! Hope you’re all having an amazing day.
When having an urge, reading a good book can really make me feel less stressed. What book are you reading, or would just recommend because you really liked it? Right now I’m reading all the Dostoevsky books I have, having myself a little marathon.
Would love to read you. Have a beautiful day, guys.

3 Likes

Hey Trevor how was the coyote book? The coyotes that pass through our property up here are normally very predictable but their behavior lately has been odd/different…so it’s made me curious to read more about them now and I remembered you posted about this book before.

1 Like

I’m honestly only a few pages into the book I’ve been slacking on the reading. I don’t have any excuses lol. I will definitely let you know if anything sticks out that’s interesting. But so far it’s pretty cool. I’ve never really been much of a reader but I’m trying to change habits And if something interests me I should try to learn about it. I saw them like crazy when I was in Tucson. And when I was temporally homeless I woke up to a pack of them one time but they ran away. I don’t hardly see them in Florida though

If I read anything about their behaviors or why they might act odd I will let you know for sure

1 Like

I bought it! It will be read soon. I just finished Bewilderment by Richard Powers. He’s a very gifted writer this book and his previous book The Overstory won a Pulitzer Prize. I recommend both. About to start My Dark Vanessa and Away from the Dream reinvent the Buddha’s wheel of life. Happy reading.

3 Likes

Sweet!!!
I have to finish this one (only a little bit left) before I start the Carl Sagan book.

Although my ADHD medication helps me focus enough to read I still find myself delving into multiple books at a time so I am trying to clean some of them up before I start anymore. :sweat_smile:

Happy reading to you too.

5 Likes

Love that one!! Am picking thru it!

1 Like

looks amazing i love/hate this thread love for obvious reasons hate because I know me and I will be compelled to buy more books,already overrun but beter than being run over by my disease

4 Likes

This is my day off read today. I think I’ll couple it with making pizza from scratch.

4 Likes

I finished Bewilderment a few days ago. Phenomenal! I was going to start My Dark Vanessa but someone on this thread,can’t recall who,gave it a tepid review so I will put that on hold for now. Instead I just started The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. One chaptr in,I’m hooked. I really liked American Gods by same author. Appreciate being steered away from My Dark…

4 Likes

Nothing tepid about My Dark Vanessa. It is in your face and definitely controversial…makes you think and cringe kind of novel. Well written, difficult subject matter.

1 Like