Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

Thank you for clarifying. I misunderstood . It’s next then. I already have a short list of " want to read" books from this thread. I will definitely check in periodically. We have similar taste I feel. If any books pop up in your head please share here.

1 Like

Sweet! Thanks for the Rec…It’s up next in my audible list! Currently in the middle of “Infinite Jest” on audible.

I read it when I was 25 and in love with sitting at the coffeehouse on rainy days. Wanted to revisit it a bunch of years later without nevcessarily having to get in the way of the other books I’m reading.

It’s kind of a bummer bc they only number the footnotes, and you have to find a page with the notes (pretty easily findable on the internet) to follow along with. Kind of tricky when I do most of my listening while driving! I end up missing some of them when I finally go back to read them but…since it’s a second go round I’m not to deterred by it.

Currently hard copy reading “Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind” with “Klara and the Sun” up on deck.

2 Likes

I only made it halfway through Infinite Jest, maybe it was all of the footnotes. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Klara and the Sun was really good but I like Ishiguru. I read Never Let Me Go by Ishiguru a long time ago but loved that too, Remains of the Day not so much. Sapiens is on my to be read list, let me know what you think.

I love reading and always have a few books going. Today I also started a re-read of The Lodger by Marie Belloc Lowndes. Creepy, old-school suspense is always good for me.
Happy reading to you!

2 Likes

im hoping to get to klara and the sun soonish, but theres several in front of it. i felt the same about remains of the day and also loved never let me go. just finished agatha of little neon last week and loved it, ive been recommending that one to lots of folks lately :sunglasses:

1 Like

Awesome…thanks again for the Recs here. I know I love some good Murakami, and someone told me that if I did, I should give Ishiguru a shot. I just finished “The Memory Police” by Yoko Ogawa and that was a good one. Sat,quiet, meditative, but also difficult to put down.

I definitely hear you on Inifinite Jest being a rough go :joy:

I actually am rereading it to gauge how much my younger self was basing their experience on whether they actually ENJOYED something…or possibly on….well…wanting to feel cool!

The juries still out. I’m not sure if this sounds weird, but I think I might be enjoying it in that it helps me to understand David Foster Wallace.It feels as though it gives you a glimpse into his psyche in a way. With how intelligent he was…and tragic and sad, it really becomes an interesting study in how one mind works.

And I’m just realizing now…as a total nerd for other peoples minds and ways of thinking…is THAT why I like reading so much? Because it’s mental voyeurism? Is that why I love nothing more than to go to a cafe or restaurant and get lost in a book rather than talking to another person? Because I already AM “talking” to them? But I don’t actually have to talk at all! Imma stop before I creep myself out😂

3 Likes

i loved memory police! i never got through infinite jest, but enjoyed broom of the system a lot.

1 Like

after memory police i read two of her others housekeeper and the professor, and diving pool. i enjoyed both but they didnt compare to how i felt about memory police. i think i gave four friends copies of memory police for their bdays after reading it hah

1 Like

I saw that on here a while back and added it to my to be read list after reading the synopsis. Thanks for posting it.
Isn’t it great that we will never run out of good things to read?

1 Like

absolutely is! credit goes to @Hailstrom though cause i picked it up after seeing him post it here :metal:

1 Like

At the moment reading the places that scare you

5 Likes

I am avid reader! I genuinely feel joy when I read and collect books :grin: I usually do a three book rotation (I read 50 pages of a book then switch to the next - seems like I would get confused that way but I don’t. It forces to me to really think about each book.)

I actually just finished my 50th book today!

My current rotation is:
· Summer of Night by Dan Simmons
· Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (this is for a book club - usually not my cup of tea lol)
· The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan

7 Likes

I read Lady Chatterly’s Lover when I was too young. I remember it being either much more racy than I was expecting or much less racy than I expected. 🫣😉

2 Likes

You had me at…

2 Likes

Im a part of a Banned Book Club and it was apparently banned for obscenities lol

1 Like

Yep. It was written a long time ago and pretty racy for it’s time. I read it when I was too young for just that reason.
A banned book club sounds fantastic.

8 Likes

Can you imagine how amusing it would be to say that Stephen King was one of your school teachers? Great conversation topic :laughing:

2 Likes

He spoke at my high school compatriots college graduation back in 83. His book, On Writing, is autobiographical and he discusses his addictions…as well as his life and process. His character development in his older work is magnificent. And he is so of Maine. Being a Mainer myself, I love his depictions of our state. Carolyn Chute does similar in The Beans of Egypt Maine…classic depiction of the ‘real’ Maine, behind the quaint seaside towns and lobster traps.

4 Likes

I added The Beans of Egypt Maine to my to be read list because of your earlier suggestion.

3 Likes

I just finished this

I had not read any Michael Perry since I quit drinking. While sobriety is not his topic, he does manage to live an inspiring life without any alcohol. And he’s doing it and making a living as a writer in my alcohol soaked home state of Wisconsin.

His writing is an up front view of rural and small town living. I highly recommend his books.

3 Likes

Sounds up my alley!! Thanks!!