Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

I love the fact that we have different covers. The american ones are more…route one i think. Maybe just my opinion. :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Hey @Scotie, the movie was really good! That being said, the movie cut out the vast majority of the storyline. They got the basic idea of the creator of the Oasis’ history though. The movie was only based on Ready Player One, not Ready Player Two. The Movie’s ending and the book’s ending were not the same.

The second book was very good, but I wouldn’t say that it was as spectacularly done as the first.

1 Like

Im reading the Game of thrones books and they are way better than the show (in my opinion) :relaxed:

2 Likes

They were very good. Didn’t watch the show, tbh. I was annoyed though when I finished the 5th book that he still plans to write 2 more books and refuses to actually work on them.

Yes greatness and inclusive in getting all of the character rights. Do they name drop characters in the book? That sounds epic to think it would be deeper development than the movie.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by name dropping, but the characters definitely get a lot more fleshed out, as you’d expect from a book. The main character has real life issues that motivate why he’s a Gunter and is so obsessed with James Halliday. There is also just an incredible amount more nostalgic stuff than the movie. All about video game history/lore. It delves into a lot of 80’s/early 90’s stuff that influenced the Oasis creator’s (Halliday) motivations. It also gets into how Halliday’s real world relationships drove him to create the Oasis, which is a major plotline of the book that the movie doesn’t quite do justice.

You should absolutely read the books. They’re fantastic.

1 Like

I am deep into Vanessa. Love it she’s a gifted writer. It’s getting um juicy where I’m at in it,about a third in. I have too many choices for what to read next maybe back to non-fiction :upside_down_face: not sure. I like Stephen King too maybe Lisey’s Story haven’t read him in awhile. Sure is easier to retain what I read now,wonder why?

1 Like

Exactly that’s what I meant- naming of actual gaming characters by name. Seeing all the gaming characters on screen made for amazing visuals even if I didn’t necessarily play any of them. For sure I’m going to order them both. Thank you.

1 Like

Oh definitely! So many name brand stuff. The book is like a literary commercial for video games, cartoons and tv shows.

1 Like

I haven’t read Lisey’s Story. I did just reread Salem’s Lot, it is very much of the 70s in Maine. I did buy his new one, Fairytale, but have a houseguest coming for a week, and want to have dedicated time to savor it (hopefully). Have you read Dr. Sleep? It is the follow up to The Shining. I enjoyed it very much.

Vanessa definitely requires more attention and brain power.

I just started Broken People…found it on Overdrive from our library. Just a few pages in, it could be interesting.

2 Likes

Lol right?! It’s fun like that.

1 Like

Currently

3 Likes

This is the book the world needs right now!

4 Likes

I actually liked the film Dr. Sleep not sure I could read the book now that my head’s polluted always find it better to book first. Only a handful of films capture the book well Silence of the Lambs comes to mind great book and film. Broken People :broken_heart: whoa just scanned some reviews I’m in.

2 Likes

Broken People…I didn’t read any reviews first, just a short blurb … I had no idea sobriety was a theme in it…it is moving along interestingly.

Movies vs books…debatable for sure!!

1 Like

Okay…so Broken People…I just finished it. Wow. It hit a lot of notes for me…the inner turmoil, body issues, self hatred, sobriety, self love, relationship messes. The last section had so many beautiful meaningful parts…struck me deeply. He summed up his journey in the same way I summed up my long slog to sobriety…all of it was necessary to get where I am now.

Definitely would not be for everyone, but for me, I am grateful it called to me. I need to reread a few passages. Recommend!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Downloaded audio book read by author. First time trying being read to,it was free too. Still in Vanessa,got distracted doing other stuff last couple of days need to get on it so many books so little time. Have the image of Burgess Meredith in my head from a Twilight Zone episode with books everywhere but he broke his specs.

2 Likes

Just finished Fairy Tale SK. How many times does he mention TCM movie channel? He must have shares in it. I counted at least 10. I did enjoy this book. Its 40 books rolled into one.``

2 Likes

Credit day on audible. I have these in my wish list from movies I enjoyed and as we all know the book is better

Jurassic park
Psycho
I am legend
Rosemarys baby
The giver

I did have alcohol explained in there as well but ive just finished that on my kindle.
I was going to do a poll but cant remember how to do them.

4 Likes