Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

I’m literally about 5 pages in and it seems like my cup of tea. Someone bought me the sequel as a gift but I thought I better read the first one.
I’ve read so many mindful / wellbeing books that the basic message is pretty much the same but like I tell my sponsees, you are what you eat and get ya mind to gobble up as much positive vibes and affirmation as you can.
Absorb positivity and positivity comes out.
Sorry you only asked if I liked it :rofl:… Yes

2 Likes

Finished Steven King’s Fairy tale on Sunday. Which was the January botm for my book club.
The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo is February book of the month.

4 Likes

@emc2018 @SassyRocks It’s really good. It is told from the perspective of a scientist in the 1950s who gets picked to star in a cooking show where she emphasizes the chemistry side of cooking.
TW for a rape scene

3 Likes

4 Likes

I started The Overstory by Richard Powers today. I think it won the Pulitzer and I have been holding onto my copy for a while waiting for the right time to start it. So far I am underwhelmed but I see the potential.

5 Likes

@TrustyBird I started two RPs in my time. was underwhelmed to the point of rage. dropped out hard. hope your experience is different and when it is, pls share! :pray: :smiling_face:

I have audioread this one recently and quite enjoyed it, a few adorable descriptions and characters, tho also a bit preachy / sugary for my taste.
grafik

I think I am going to let go of Lessons by Ian McEwan.

I have always been a propnent of life’s too short when it comes to books that are too annoying. the main character cannot get a hold on life in a very boring way and both the two main characters are deeply dislikeable. :zipper_mouth_face:
but I am also trying to learn and get as much out of books as I can, so I am torn.

re-read a story the other day by DFW :sparkler: as I mentioned in another thread which instantly reminded me why I am alive and on this planet to begin with, so might drop Lessons after all …

I discovered T.C. Boyle Talk to me looking for my next audioread (I use the public library for that and material is somewhat limited) and got so engrossed I didnt stop listening all day yday. :smiley: that’s how you know the author knows what he’s doing. a tiny bit predictable in the plot but grippingly real aswell (it’s about a potentially talking monkey, that part is gripping). recommend.

happy reading everyone!

5 Likes

Omg, ADORE TC Boyle!!! Their books are amazing. I devour most of them!!!

@TrustyBird, I have also been flummoxed by Richard Powers…like, um, am I not ‘a reader’? Haha, little RP pun.

I put down the books that are not enthralling, unless…someone let’s me know there is a big - oh wow, that pulls it all together - tears, joy! - moment - at some point. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

That’s a big endorsement for TCB :slight_smile: I’ve already got a few more on my reading list.

Can you elaborate on the being flummoxed? :thinking:

1 Like

Fascinating book!

2 Likes

Lol, not really. I think I may be too lazy of a reader for RP.

Drop City, Outside Looking In, The Terranauts, The Women, World’s End, The Harder They Come…oh my!! And I haven’t read any of his short stories yet. I never got into the genre. When I do…his work will be in top of list!!

1 Like

I just finished this, it ended up not at all as what I expected. I enjoyed it. A bit of enhanced historical fiction on Mustique and the people who populated it…aka 1970s colonialism…mixed with complicated family dynamics. Mustique Island is still privately owned.

6 Likes

My librarian sister introduced me to Nancy Pearl’s rule for quitting a book you don’t love. Take 100 subtract your age and if you aren’t enjoy it by that page you’ve given it a good shot. I’m 43 so if The Overstory hasn’t grabbed me by page 57 I’ll move on. It isn’t a hard rule for me but helps when I have to ask myself if I’m enjoying the book.

7 Likes

Just started this book and really enjoying it so far

4 Likes

Loved it!!!

1 Like

Fabric of the Universe is one I’m still trying to finish after almost 4 years reading, going back, reading again. Way more physics than I can absorb in under 10 years I suspect. But I’ve got time.

3 Likes

So the good news is that is an amazing life hack that I will definitely implement. Thank you and your sister!

The bad news is that I forced myself to read over 300 goddam pages already. :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

You might just have to finish it. I understand your predicament.

4 Likes

The life of a reader. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s a good trick! I will use it :grin:
I definitely had too many books I finished just for finishing it.

2 Likes

Okay, wow. This book has been lingering around my periphery and I was in need…
I am 10% in and deeply intrigued. The writing style has me hooked, as does the story. May need to savor vs devour.

5 Likes