Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

I don’t normally go for anything remotely sci-fi but found I enjoyed Sea of Tranquility more than expected. Barbara Kingsolver’s is in my queue.
Just finished The Water Dancer and highly recommend.

3 Likes

I liked Between the World and Me so I’ll add The Water Dancer to my ever growing to be read list.

1 Like

Just finished Facing the Mountain. A compilation of Japanese American war heroes’ stories and experiences in WWII. It was fantastic! Really opened up a lot of the racism and injustice experienced on my home turf.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Have you read any of John D. MacDonald’s Travis McGee books? A lot like Jack Reacher, and I’m pretty sure I read somewhere they were the inspiration for the show Burn Notice. Some kind of ex military guy, never really explains what kind of covert thing he did but he’ll get back anything taken from you for a percentage, then usually gets so personally involved in the things that he does it for free or whatever. I really liked those especially with all of the Florida history and trivia he throws in there.

3 Likes

Reading “Can’t Hurt Me” by David Higgins, staying hard. It’s so good. Can’t wait to read the next one.

1 Like

Did you like the Jack Reached books? I’ve been curiously thinking about them.

I haven’t, but sounds good! Will definitely read one and see how it goes. Sounds like my kinda book/character. Thanks for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:

I am not exactly an avid reader but I love learning and enjoy non-fiction. I am reading a book on Scottish history currently. I love Scotland! Its beauty, mystique, its cities! I have been once and would like to go back. I am an avid listener of scottish folk music. My profile pic is a photo of the wonderfully eerie location of Glencoe. The location of one of the most brutal massacres of a scottish clan known as theMacDonalds. What a place!

4 Likes

If you haven’t yet, you will need to meet @Ray_M_C_Laren on here! Not only is Ray our sober elder, but he posts pictures on the occasion of his beautiful homeland of Scotland. :slightly_smiling_face: The beauty of a global forum.

4 Likes

Sir Peter Young, Tutor to James VI, King of Scots

Birthdate: August 15, 1544
Birthplace: Dundee, Angus, Scotland (United Kingdom)
Death: January 07, 1628 (83)
Dundee, Angus, Scotland (United Kingdom)
Place of Burial: Church of St Vigeans, Arbroath, Angus, Scotland

tHIS IS MY G,G,G,G, Grandfather my surname Mc LAREN we come from Balquidder in the highlands we have a grave yard there Rob Roy Mc Gregor is buried there our clan and his wernt friends ,lots of conflicts . our clan fought at Culloden moor ,iv visited there many times also the battle of Banockburn and Killiekrankie. Glencoe is beautiful drove through it many times on our way to Inverness .

5 Likes

Is it the beard that makes the resemblance? I don’t know, but so appreciate you sharing!!

1 Like

Ah very cool!! Thank you so much for sharing!

2 Likes

I did really like them, they became one of my comfort series I guess, I like books where I know and like the character so I can expect some familiarity but a different scenario/mystery every time. I’ve also wanted to just pick a direction and walk/hitchhike forever and live very minimally like he does and never come back (definitely in the worst of my drinking I did). I’d say try one and if you like it you’ll probably like them all. With series like that I always start in the middle of the series, generally because I come across the books at random or they are given to me, so I get to see the character fairly well developed and get a sense of how most of the rest of the books are going to be.

1 Like

6 Likes

Had a friend put me on Harlan Coben mystery novels recently. I’m not usually a mystery thriller kind of guy but these are pretty good so far! Easy to read and cheap at the book store! Also been rereading the Chronicles of Narnia series for childhood nostalgia! Grad school has put me back into reading mode because I spend a lot of time reading for school :blush: one more class to go also, so hoping by June I will be celebrating 6 months sober and finishing my Masters!

3 Likes

Is this related to Gogol’s “Dead Souls”?

Yes, it is. I don’t know why I wrote Solohov - I don’t even like him.
Thanks for correcting me. (I’m going to edit the previous post :flushed:)

No worries. I’m a big fan of Gogol.

1 Like

Eat pray love. Never read it. I hope I’ll understand it. I think so.

6 Likes