Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

I just finished The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and about to finish The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley. No matter how much I disagree with Dawkins I appreciate his work and look forward to read his other books as well

5 Likes

Good book!

There is also a documentary about it, BTW.

Finishing up Can’t Hurt Me by David Goggins tonight, and I have his second book Never Finished which I might read next. I like reading formal philosophy and then books about people actually living life, like Goggins or Wim Hof who are extremely accomplished but do not articulate anything formally, they just put their voice to paper and it’s amazing. Kierkegaard and Neitzsche are raw like that too.

4 Likes

7 Likes

I loved the movie version of this book, I imagine the book will also be great :ok_hand:

1 Like

I think I’m in a dark mood. I just finished a re-read of Fight Club and then Grady Hendrix’s How to Sell a Haunted House. I’ve read all of Grady Hendrix’s books and this one didn’t disappoint for fun. If you are looking for a book about murderous possessed puppets (which many are, I assume) this is one.

4 Likes

Reading these two books smooshed into one paperback. Fear and Trembling is great so far, looking forward to Sickness unto Death. Great work on the concept of faith and sacrifice.

7 Likes

Am currently reading, They’re Going To Love You by Meg Howrey. It is drawing me in.

7 Likes

Just finished Lessons which was a good read, although a bit slow and uncomfortable at times. Started the second book which has been lovely so far :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

5 Likes

Holy shit that was an engrossing read. And the last paragraph…

“All this wreakage. All this gorgeous, unrepeatable wreakage. Life.”

2 Likes

About to start the last book in the series that I’ve been reading for 25 years. Not sure I’m ready, I like the characters alive and the last battle is coming. It’s a 9 hour chapter if read by audible.
Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, amazing character development, world building, magic systems, sprawling story line with over 2000 characters total.
Amazon tried to get it right but missed it by a mile, so many things deeply wrong on many levels.
I’ve re read the books many times but spent the last 3 years listening with my partner now he loves it as much as I do. Just named our son after some of our favorite characters
:sparkles: My name here is actually from the book too

2 Likes

I’ll start … I’ve been reading “There’s a hole in my love cup” by Sven Erlandson and it’s changed my life. It got me to finally understand that all my addictions were just me running from myself. He postulates that we all have core beliefs of who we are, and if there was abuse or an environment of pain, shame we internalize all that as being bad or broken. Hence addictions that numb our hurt. Must read! :books:

7 Likes

Love this thread…Mr God This is Anna by Fynn *a true story)

Anna was only four years old when Fynn found her on London’s fog-shrouded docks. He took her back to his mother’s home, and from that first moment, their times together were filled with delight and discovery. Anna had an astonishing ability to ask–and to answer–life’s largest questions. Her total openness and honesty amazed all who knew her.
8D33AE0D0DB179BF3DD9BEFA5317129955AF3473

7 Likes

Oh man! The comments on this book are amazing!! Thank you! Will read!!

2 Likes

Ooh I found my happy place! A book thread :kissing:

I read and audiobook a lot. My interests in books are very varied, and mostly factual over fiction. I just love learning new things. I’ve read a lot about investing in general, and property investment and development. I also love history, and health related books.

I read recently read two quit lit books in support of my sober journey are ‘Alcohol lied to me’ by Craig Beck, and ‘The unexpected joy of being sober’ by Catherine Gray.

I really like Craig Beck, and his no nonsense approach to alcohol. He’s a one size fits all in terms of target readers. I watched enough of his videos over the last couple of years, I finally took the plunge and just bought the book. It reiterated a lot of what he says in his YouTube videos, but more in depth.

Catherine Grays book is targeted at women, which I’m sure a lot of women could relate to. For me, some of it was relatable, some not, but I’m glad she’s out the other side of it and living a happy, healthy life. It was an interesting read, and brutally honest about her life when alcohol was a part of it. You could see how a lot of women could relate to her story. Side note - Im not holier than thou or anything, but I tend to be a little more conservative when it comes to dropping f-bombs etc. Catherine merrily throws them around to make her points, which is fine. Just make sure your kids don’t walk into the room if you have the book on loudspeaker :upside_down_face:

On to what I’m reading now… Well I just read Marc Morris ‘The Anglo Saxons, a history of the beginnings of England’ before my sober support books. And my current read is ‘The history of the Renaissance world’ by Susan Bauer. I’m not long enough into the book to make any comment on it yet, but I’m enjoying it so far and will report back.

images (18)
download (13)
download (12)

12 Likes

Happy Place, indeed. Y’all know about Substack, right? www.substack.com :kissing_heart:
Happy Sunday! :love_you_gesture:t2:

2 Likes

Yaaaaaaay!!! Books! Gonna look up these titles :nerd_face:

1 Like

I just found this at Costco and couldn’t resist. I’m so excited to read it. It has a little bit about all the maths! I needed to share my excitement with someone, so I’m putting it here in case anyone has a liking for math/science.

6 Likes