Any horror movie fans?

I guess that was more “over the rails” than off them. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Last night I watched the 2015 movie The Invitation (directed by Karyn Kusama–not the 2022 movie of the same name). Second time I have seen it, but what great movie!

2 Likes

Such a good one! I love the use of paranoia to make you question what is happening, if anything. Something feels off but not too much revealed to make you question things.

Solid flick

1 Like

Without giving away any spoilers (because this is definitely a film where the less you know about it going in the better), I really appreciated the way it depicted the impact that the divorced couple’s loss and grief has had on them, and the ways they were both struggling to deal with it. I kept getting flashes of Nicolas Roeg’s Don’t Look Now (the setting couldn’t be more different though). The acting of the whole cast is really top-notch.

2 Likes

This is a few years old now, but as someone who is using my love of horror movies to help stay sober, I really liked this article on the Dread Central horror movie website:

Worth a read if you haven’t seen it before.

2 Likes

Last week I happened to find a blu-ray box of Ring, Ring 2, Ring 0 (the prequel), and Spiral for a really great price, so I picked it up.

After re-watching Ring, I watched Ring 2 last weekend. What a disappointment! In my opinion it’s one of those sequels that really detracts from the original film by providing dumb explanations for everything.

Apparently Ring 0 is better–I hope so!

3 Likes

MV5BMTI3NTYyMzk1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzExMTcyMQ@@.V1

Watched these two last week. I had seen this takashe Miike before. Wowzer, completely insane film.

I hadn’t seen this before but Quentin Tarantino was a big fan of Sergio Martino. It has some pretty early 1970s “gore” which is surprisingly effective. There is a scene in this movie that is terrifying and using a little bit of Psycho influence.

Gozu is one of the few of Takashe Miike’s three million films that I have actually seen. It was a long time ago now, but yeah, I remember that it was weird, and that I enjoyed it. I think my favorite of his is Audition—very disturbing film though…

I’ve seen Torso too, and a few other Sergio Martino gialli. He’s another guy that has made, like, a million films. All the Colors of the Dark and Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key are two that I particularly like. I was actually listening to the soundtrack of All the Colors of the Dark as I cycled to work this morning!

1 Like

Audition is one of the scariest movies for me.
I think my favorite Miike is actually Ichi the Killer.

I look forward to it! Like you mentioned, he has so many movies. Similar themes and stunning Italian women in his movies.

And, Ring-o was much better than Ring 2 IMO

Blockquote
Audition is one of the scariest movies for me.

Yeah, especially if you are a single male living in Japan–as I was when I first saw it!

Blockquote
Similar themes and stunning Italian women in his movies.

Your Vice Is a Locked Room has Edwige Fenech in it, so it shouldn’t disappoint in that department.

Blockquote
And, Ring-o was much better than Ring 2 IMO

That’s good to know. I have heard it compared to De Palma’s Carrie, so that’s encouraging.

Holy crap I’ve been gone for a while. I’m so proud of this thread, so many horror fans!

I just watched one recently on Amazon Prime called Summer of 84’ that was decent. It’s more of a thriller than a horror film per se but it was still eerie and might be worth a watch if you all want something fresh in the vein of Stranger Things.

3 Likes

I watch a horror movie almost every night, so I love this thread. Thanks for starting it!

I was looking at Summer of 84’–I kind of assumed it was a pastiche of 80s slasher movies. I’m not usually into tongue-in-cheek stuff, but I do like 80s slashers, so maybe I’ll check it out.

2 Likes

The night before last I watched Martyrs–not the US remake, the original French film from 2008. Jeeeezzz. :flushed:

I’d heard it was very disturbing, and it certainly was. I didn’t hate it, and in some respects it’s a good film, but it’s not a film that can actually be “enjoyed.”

One of the most grueling and disturbing films I’ve ever seen, so I’m not recommending it.

2 Likes

It’s sick. It’s disturbing. It’s terrifying. For that, it’s an accomplished horror. I really loved it, but can’t watch it much/again. French version!

1 Like

Martyrs is pretty rough.

This movie is extremely disturbing, but it’s also very good. Weird story, weird characters, weird motivations. It’s has a weird black humor for a reprieve. I believe its Belgian, in French.
Highly recommended

Good to see you popping in @HakeemOsman :grin:

I finally had the chance to see Hereditary, and gotta say I was more than pleasantly surprised. I knew nothing about it going in, which I prefer tbh. There were a couple times I actually paused it just to take a minute to regroup bc it’s pretty fucking raw. I’d heard the ending track so many times, in random videos I guess, and always wondered what it was from bc it sounded so ethereal. Loved it :heart_eyes:

I watched Knock on the Cabin today. I like M. Night. Not a traditional horror, but I thought it was good. It kept me wondering.

3 Likes

I loved Knock at the Cabin. The ending blew my mind and I like the attempt at something new for M. Night! No major twists , he played it straight. It’s a great but really melancholic movie in my opinion.

Also thanks Laura. I’ve just been busy with school and work. Still crushing sobriety though! 85 days in now! :pray:t4:

3 Likes

Looks interesting–thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check it out when I’m feeling suitably resilient! :sweat_smile:

I re-watched Hereditary a few weeks ago. It really is one if the best horror movies of recent decades in my opinion. It’s a great scary horror flick, but it also has a ton of depth to it. Lots to say about real life too.

(By the way–and I don’t want to freak anyone out or anything–but has anyone other than me noticed how much the cult in Hereditary’s symbol looks like the logo for this website?? :sweat_smile:)

I need to check out Knock on the Cabin too. I really liked M. Night Shyamalan’s The Visit.

1 Like

Blockquote
It’s sick. It’s disturbing. It’s terrifying. For that, it’s an accomplished horror. I really loved it, but can’t watch it much/again.

I have read quite a few reviews online and “I really liked it, but it was horrible and I will never watch it again” is a pretty common response.

I watched an interview with the director and he is a very thoughtful and articulate guy–and clearly a massive fan of genre cinema, but I think he is one of those directors who likes to kind of screw with his audience (a bit like Lars Von Trier or someone like that).

He did explain, though, that with Martyrs he wanted to make a film that was very compelling and kept you on the edge of your seat to see what happened next–a “page turner,” and I think that is where the film succeeds (along with the performances and photography). I think I probably watched the whole movie with my mouth open. There are some great twists in the narrative.

Where I think it fails, though, is that the “pay off”–the revelation of why all the stuff in the film is happening, and the conclusion are just too weak after the ordeal of sitting through the film. In the end it was pretty empty, and if you are going to subject your audience to that much trauma, I think you need to leave them with something more substantial.

Just my personal opinion of course.

1 Like