Any horror movie fans?

Stand By Me (The Body) and Shawshank were both very good.

If you can find it, watch the original Salem’s Lot. When I was a kid it terrified me. When I rewatched as an adult it was more amusing than anything lol.

I just watched Thanksgiving. Sounds like there’s a sequel out next year. It seems I’m on a horror binge now!

2 Likes

I can find it easy because the blu-ray is on my shelf! I think it’s one of the best SK adaptations. I really like the the downbeat late-70s vibe, David Soul and James Mason, and the window scene freaked everyone out back in the day! :scream:

It was recently remade by the guy who directed The Nun and Annabelle films, but hasn’t been released yet for some reason. Excuse me if I don’t get too excited…

I 100% approve! :+1:

3 Likes

I watched Dario Argento’s Suspira last night. I’ve seen it multiple times, but I wanted to watch it with my wife. We recently watched Last Night in Soho together and I was keen to show her where much of that film’s visual style originated.

It really deserves its status as a classic. Occasionally something happens that looks a bit cheesy and dated (like the rubber bat attack), but then you remember that it was made in 1977!

The terrifying scenes were the kid scratching at his friend’s window, the guy sitting in the rocking chair and when Barlow crashed through the window in the drape. And I guess when they were trying to stake Barlow before the sun went down. Like I said… terrified as a kid! It really was a great mini-series.

1 Like

It must’ve been the tv version. My friend’s parents were watching it and they didn’t care if we watched it. My parents would have :joy: I grew up with sci-fi but my parents never watched horror.

I really liked the Mist too. It was very similar to what I imagined while reading the book.

1 Like

Have you seen the new Suspiria? Someone recommended it to me and it had already been on my list for a while but I kept putting it off bc of the length. I never saw the original so I had no idea what I was in store for. It was crazy! I loved it! Now I know why Prime recommended Last Night in Soho after that. I liked that too for a slower drama.

Yes–twice (so far)!

I really like it. When I heard someone was remaking Suspiria, I just thought “Oh no. Why…?” But it’s pretty great. One of those rare occasions when a remake actually had some interesting new ideas to add to the legacy of a classic movie, rather than just being a lazy rehash.

Now I’m just crossing my fingers for Robert Eggers’ Nosferatu later this year… :neutral_face:

1 Like

I agree. 99% of most remakes are totally unnecessary and turn out garbage, but every so often someone does it right. The biggest let down I’ve had recently was Cabin Fever. I love the first one, and the 2nd was alright. I felt like watching it a while back but I lost my copy so I found the remake. It was literally word for word, scene for scene, the exact same movie but with completely untalented actors. What a joke :face_exhaling:

I didn’t know there was a new Nosferatu coming. I saw the original when I was in highschool. Fingers crossed they do it justice :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I could easily go off on a rant here, but I’ll resist… :sweat_smile:

And there’s already one great remake of Nosferatu–the 1979 version by Werner Herzog, so do we really need another??

But, so far, all of Robert Eggers’ films have been really good, except for The Witch, which is freaking awesome, so I am hoping for the best. :crossed_fingers:

Im watching ‘From’ right now. Its a series on Paramount app. Its about monsters who look like people but aren’t & like hunting humans.

1 Like

Dope movie. Too bad she couldn’t finish stitching herself before you know what?

2 Likes

Just watched Life. A modern Aliens somewhat. Great ending I thought.

2 Likes

I watched it too after @WilliamBloke recommended it. Thanks for that man :+1: It was definitely a good one. A lot of tense moments. I almost thought that’s how it would end, but then I’m like ‘nah, maybe not’, and then it did.

3 Likes

I’ve watched When evil lurks (from Argentina, original title Cuando acecha la maldad) yesterday, what a great movie. Great ambiance, story, some shocking scenes, good acting. I loved it.
Strangely, or not, it made me want to re watch It Follows.

2 Likes

I’ve heard a lot of good things about that movie–really want to check it out!

3 Likes

Nice. Just watched that last week! Really good. One of the better “curse” stories I’ve seen in a while.

Check out the Passenger, the Spanish one from Cerezo and Gomez. It’s pretty funny and wild

1 Like

Watched one last night that I can definitely recommend: the 2008 Australian film Lake Mungo. Anyone seen it?

It’s about a family who have lost their teenage daughter in a drowning accident and the uncanny events that follow. Its presented as a “mokumentary,” and is easily one of the most effective films of that type that I have seen. Very slow building, melancholy, and atmospheric. Well acted too.

3 Likes

Here are five randoms:
-From Beyond
-In the Mouth of Madness
-Suspiria (Original)
-Phantasm
-The Stuff

3 Likes

As the Cramps would say, “You got good taste!”

Seems like you like 80s horror? The only movie there that I’ve never seen is The Stuff.

I haven’t seen From Beyond since the 1980s–really need to revisit it. One of the the few successful HP Lovecraft adaptations I think, albeit it in a pretty gonzoid way.

Mouth of Madness is pretty Lovecraft inspired too, though. I also really like that one–and pretty much all John Carpenter.

2 Likes

Going to watch it tonight :sunglasses: Haven’t seen a good horror movie for too long hehe

1 Like