Any horror movie fans?

Anyone enjoy cave horror movies? I’m quite claustrophobic so they carry an extra kick for me.

The Descent and Descent II come to mind.

Watching them crawl through tiny spaces underground is horrifying in it’s own right nevermind cave creatures etc.

A girlfriend and I got lost for about 5 hours in a cave within a mountain about 25 years ago. Could not see my hand in front of my face when I turned my flashlight off. If I really sit and think about it I can re-create the feeling I had back then. Which is to say terrified and nauseous.

4 Likes

Im excited for the first omen. Ive always been an omen fan :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The only other one that comes to mind is As Above So Below from 2014.

Not caves, but I recently watched a diving-based horror movie called The Deep House (2021) that was pretty claustrophobic. I didn’t think it was any good, so not a recommendation, but it was pretty claustrophobia inducing!

4 Likes

Watched The Cave (2005) last night. Didn’t find it to be very good but it got better as it went along.

2 Likes

Thats a really good movie I’ve not seen it in years

Dead Snow and Dead Snow 2 are my favourite comedy/horror movies.

1 Like

I’ve watched “The Medium”, a thai movie from Banjong Pisanthanakun (who did the VERY scary Shutter).

Very good. The first half sets the mood, the second part is apocalyptic. Pretty scary too

7 Likes

I haven’t been in here in a while but I do like cave movies. The Cave was alright, but another one from 2005, and my favorite cave movie, is The Descent. I definitely would recommend :+1:

7 Likes

The Descent is such a good and powerful movie. The U.S. cut shows a different end, from what I’ve read, which is crazy. I love the original ending

5 Likes

I was thinking about this, and I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen a Thai horror movie, so I guess I need to check that out–thanks for the recommendation!

Not Thailand, but still in the Asian region–one movie I saw recently that I though was pretty good was Incantation (2022) from Taiwan. It’s a pretty creepy found-footage style occult horror movie. It’s distributed by Netflix, so probably quite easy to access.

3 Likes

I saw Incantation, and yes it’s very creepy and memorable!

2 Likes

Went to see the new The First Omen movie last night–disappointing!

I’m always wary of sequels/prequels/reboots of classic films, but I was lured in by the good reviews.

Some nice cinematography and atmosphere, and a great soundtrack, but a really dumb plot that tramples over some key elements of the original 70s films.

Oh, and (spoiler alert!) the obligatory CG monster 15 minutes before the end. :roll_eyes:

Bah! :angry:

Just my own opinion though. Anyone else seen it?

1 Like

The copy I own has both endings. I haven’t watched it in a while but I just dug it out so I can soon. It really is great.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip, I put in on my “to watch” list. Currently watching “From” on Netflix. It’s a serie involving vampires, I like it!

1 Like

From isn’t currently available on Netflix here in Japan unfortunately. :disappointed:

Maybe sometime in the future…

1 Like

Aha, we have it since two weeks so maybe your country follows soon :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Definitely in my top 5 horror movies. Terrific cast of unknown bad ass women actors, which is so rare in horror movies. The only time I’ve felt claustrophobic! And one of the best uses of the grief/trauma trope.

3 Likes

I’ve seen The Descent, but I don’t really have any strong memory of it. I guess I need to go back and check it out again.

4 Likes

Last night I watched The long Hair of Death, an Italian gothic horror from 1964 starring Barbra Steele.

It was OK, not the best of its type, but it’s always great to see Barbra Steele in anything. Anyone else a fan of hers?

It struck me as I was watching that, with her unnerving blend of beauty and creepiness in equal measure, she was kind of like the Mia Goth of 60s European horror–with an emphasis on the “goth,” of course. :sweat_smile:
BSteele

3 Likes

Speaking of Mia Goth, I am going to see Infinity Pool tomorrow, as it is currently in the theaters here. It seems to be a film that really divides the audience–some think it’s wonderful and some think it’s garbage. I often like films like that, so I’m looking forward to it!

5 Likes