Any horror movie fans?

Just watched - Knock at the cabin… not a horror per se, but pretty close to being one. Not sure really what I thought about it, any others seen it?

1 Like

Yeah - i thought it was interesting and more of a mind fuck than a horror.

2 Likes

I watched it a few days ago. I actually enjoyed it. I was surprised that there was no twist considering it’s an M Night movie.

1 Like

Saw Talk to Me last night – i am glad i had not seen any previews and did not know what it was about.

Man - i would give it a solid B for movie. I did not find it scary at all but did love the story line. I did find it to be super slow at times but definitely worth a watch.

4 Likes

I liked it as a nice twist on the possession movie. I do think there were moments where it was kinda dull but overall it was a good bit of tension and the ending was pretty cool.

1 Like

I don’t think I know about this one. Just watched Lavender, fairly bog standard psychological horror thriller, but quite ok for a Sunday afternoon. Watching an old Paranormal Activity now: the marked ones. Don’t think I’ve seen this before, I really like these silly movies!

1 Like

Talk to Me is a new release and i would put this on a must watch list. Like Hakeem said - it did have an interesting way to show possession and also the ending was very cool.

I have not heard of the ones you mentioned - will look into them. Love thriller / horror Sunday afternoons.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the heads up, being in the UK I might be a bit behind on new releases. Yeah, I actually think a good silly horror can lift your spirits, pardon the pun! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Further discussion of Talk to Me here. Spoilers- don’t read if you plan on seeing it

For those who saw Babadook, the metaphor was grief, always present and lurking but you learn to live with it and embrace it as seen at the end.

For Talk to Me, I interpret it as a cautionary tail of substance abuse, mental health, and dealing with grief in an unhealthy way.

The main character loses her mother and wants answers, or better yet wants answers that don’t destroy her view of her mother. If you view the hand as a drug/substance and a method of escapism you can see her continue to use it to seek something that won’t happen. Even when confronted with the truth of her mother she cannot accept it and continues to seek something more through the hand.

The young boy is allowed to participate (use the drug) and suffers what could be interpreted as an “OD”. From using the hand once, she becomes obsessed with it, uprooting her pretty normal life and turning into an obsession with the hand and what the hand provides. The imagery of using the belt to strap the user in before using the hand also invokes images of intravenous drug use. Additionally, the dilated pupils of the users going into a different state of consciousness. Mere possession would be reductive in the meaning of the hand. It’s something more powerful and addictive.

The hand ultimately destroys her life, when she kills herself the boy gets better and moves on with his life. Unfortunately, the cycle continues with other people in other places as shown when she end up being the one that is being “Talked to”

2 Likes

Just finished the original Ring from Japan that was released in 1998, and I enjoyed it much more than the remake. Not sure why, but I always like the originals better than re-do’s even if they are sometimes cringe. Saw X and Pearl and cannot wait to see the 3rd installment. My favorite holiday (Halloween) is just around the corner…so I will be checking here for any recommendations of films or shows I haven’t seen yet.

3 Likes

•Black Christmas (1974) parts were filmed here in my homerown (Toronto), based, in part on a series of murders in Montreal.

•Trilogy of Terror (1975) karen Black…was 10yrs old and at my Grandmothers the first time I watched…to thos day, dripping taps and house flys get me…lol

3 Likes

Solid.

Black Christmas is top tier :+1:t3:

Trilogy… the little doll still gives me the creeps!!! Haha

2 Likes

The Crazies YESSSS!!!

Omg I live for a good horror flick, though not toooooo gross like the Saw movies LOL.

SCREAMS & I know what you did last summer…these came out when I was like 12 and started it all.
Final Destination…original!
The Faculty
30 Days of Night
28 Days
Amityville Horror - original & with Ryan Reynolds lol
Wrong Turn
Texas Chain Saw - pretty much all of them
Devils Rejects
Get Out…anything Jordan Peele does is worth watching, but I would say Get Out was a master piece.
Quarantine
JAWS
A Quiet Place
Sunshine
Shutter Island…which is…more of a thriller but Im adding it LOL
Machinist…also more of a thriller but…hi.
The Gift
Cocaine Bear…I love horror dark comedy. Pleasantly surprised by this one!
End of Days was a childhood fav
The Hills have Eyes
The Witch was pretty good, maybe not a fav but good and dark lol

Wait…forgot to add the Jason & Freddy movies :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thats a good list. I’ve seen them all besides Cocaine Bear bc it seemed ridiculous, but now I’m curious :wink:

Also, I think you may have meant 28 Days Later (28 Weeks Later is great too). I would definitely recommend 28 Days as well but it isn’t horror. It’s a dramedy about alcoholism/addiction. Great movie for people like us.

3 Likes

Yes! How could I forget these?

3 Likes

This movie is not for one with a weak stomach.

4 Likes

Just watched The Pops Exersizem

1 Like

Cocaine Bear was over the top ridiculous in all the best ways, i enjoy that every now and then :smile:

1 Like

Hands down in my top 5 for the most disturbing scary movies I’ve seen ever. I had nightmares after this one. Will never ever see it again it was that unsettling.

1 Like

That one was very very jolting and gross. But good also.

1 Like