Any horror movie fans?

Omg totally!!! When i watch, and i literally only watch ghost stuff, or scary shit. But when i watch i need the room dark and the house as quiet as possible. Lol

2 Likes

Massive horror movie fan here. Great to see that so many others are too. Favorites? Too many to list! I love old gothic horror films like the ones made by Hammer films in the 50s/60s/70s. The Wicker Man is a real favoriteā€“from1972, not the remake with Nicholas Cage. But speaking of Nicholas Cage, I love Panos Cosmatosā€™ 2018 film Mandy too.

4 Likes

Another great one with Betty Davis is The Nanny from 1965!

3 Likes

Yeah, I just watched The Popeā€™s Exorcist a few days ago. What a disappointment!

1 Like

Oh, wowā€¦i just checked out the trailer on YT. It looks awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

Iā€™m sure we could talk about a bunch of flicks!

Check out these. I love Criterion films!
House -1977 Japan
The Innocents
Eyes without a Face
Vampyr

I also dig the giallo genre and Argento.

1 Like

Some more of my favorites.

C.H.U.D
Basket case
Dead Alive
ReAnimator
Deep Red
American werewolf in London

2 Likes

After even the trailer freaked me out I confidently say ā€œnope, wonā€™t ever watch thisā€.
I think this movie wouldnā€™t let me sleep for days :grimacing:

The last movie with Aliens included did freak me out :joy: It was ā€œThe fourth kindā€. Some scenes are disturbingā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s a Hammer film, so you know youā€™re in good hands!

1 Like

Bette Davis plays the best evil characters. Love her work! :heart:

Iā€™m also a big European horror and giallo fan.

I love The Innocents. Especially the way the song ā€œO Willow Walyā€ is used in the film, and how that gives it an almost folk horror atmosphere. Iā€™ve seen House, and it was funā€“and very strange. (Incidentally Iā€™m British, but live in Japan).

I havenā€™t seen Vampyr, but it is definitely on my list. It seems to have been really influential, and any film based on Sheridan Le Fanuā€™s Carmilla has to be worth seeing! I havenā€™t seen Eyes Without a Face yet either, but I recently watched Jess Francoā€™s The Awful Dr. Orloff, which was apparently heavily influenced by it.

3 Likes

Yeah, Criterion is great. I think ā€œThe Third Manā€ with Orson Wells is a Criterion too, if Iā€™m not mistaken.

1 Like

I wish I could make more than three replies hereā€“so many comments I want to make! (Because Iā€™m a new member, Iā€™m limited to three replies in the same thread until someone else responds.)

Horror movies are such a big source of motivation for me right now. I recently posted about it in a very old thread titled ā€œHorror moviesā€ that I resurrected in the ā€œMotivationā€ section of the forum (wish I could link to it, but I canā€™tā€¦).

Horror movies often get a bad rap as being a negative influence on people, but I think they can actually be a very positive influence too.

4 Likes

Under the Skin was such a weird one. I liked it, but, yeah, really strange. It reminded me of a Jean Rollin filmā€“not bad thing in my book!

I need to check out the Creep movies. Iā€™ve never paid much attention to them because for some reason I figured they were Scream-style pop-horror movies, but Iā€™m now realizing that was a misconception.

Iā€™m also a big fan of Hereditary. When I saw that I was really happy that someone in this day and age had made a real straight-up ā€œclassic-styleā€ horror filmā€“with zero irony or post-modern affectations. I felt the same when I saw Robert Eggersā€™ The VVitch.

3 Likes

Phantasm. Tall Man, sphere of death, Ice cream truck. And scared me from looking behind my door forever.

Hell yeah man!

That horror thread I recommended creep and under the Skin too!

VVitch is the best Eggerā€™s movie IMO

Definitely going to check this out, thank you!

Check out Beau is Afraid, another Ari Aster. A bit indulgent and long but solid. Not really a horror, but kind of a fever dream of anxiety.

I agree about the genre, horror has so many genres within. A reoccurring theme is ā€œthe Otherā€, the existential idea. Viewing a lot of horror through a particular lens can really change the meaning of the ā€œovertā€ premise of the film and reveal some really crafty metaphors and devices beneath the surface!

Glad to see you in the forum :facepunch:t3:

The Fourth Kind is terrifying. I started waking up at 3am for no apparent reason after seeing it and thought they were coming for me! Seriously.

3 Likes

Thanks!

I am looking forward to seeing Beau is Afraid. I liked Midsommar a lot too, but not as much as Hereditary. I have a feeling though, that ā€œindulgent and long but solidā€ is going to be a recurring thing with Ari Aster. :wink: Iā€™m also looking looking forward to Robert Eggersā€™ forthcoming remake of Nosferatu. Weird for me because Iā€™m not usually big on remakesā€“especially when there are two superb versions of the same film already, but Iā€™ve liked all of his movies so far.

One interesting thing about Under the Skin from a sobriety point of view is that a fair bit of it was apparently shot ā€œguerrilla styleā€ at real locations with real people, not actors. So most of those rowdy drunks in the nightclub scene are the real thing.

1 Like

I agree about Smileā€“it was great for the most part than went into CG overdrive at the end. I still thought it was pretty cool though. Some scenes really creeped me out.

2 Likes

Yes definitely let us know! It would be really cool if it had some kind of (even small) focus on sobriety too. Iā€™ve been looking for things like that but there is not much out thereā€“nothing really. I recently started a blog called ā€œSober Horror Fan.ā€ Iā€™m a complete amateur thoughā€¦ :pensive: