Are you affected by a loved one who’s an addict?

Good that you are sober! :pray:
It is a difficult and wearing situation you describe. May I ask if there was any reflection or communication about your dad’s behaviour after last year’s season? Could you express how difficult it was for you and how unwell you felt?

Try to prepare yourself by taking good care of you. Meditate, relax and detach as good as you can. Maybe think about how you want to cope this year if it happens again. Leave? Detach yourself in love in talking to other members of the family? Express your feelings about the situation verbally (not discussing with a drunk person)? Focus on what you love about the get together and leave the rest?
I understand that you are scared. Been in similar situations, it’s not easy. Sending you strenght and hugs :hugs::yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words @erntedank . To be honest, there hasn’t been a reflection or discussion of the subject yet. When I was still early in my sobriety someone pointed out to me that I should take care of my own sobriety first and hope to inspire by example. I kind of let myself off the hook there and avoided the whole topic with my dad altogether. We are not exactly that kind of family where it feels easy to talk about feelings or adress unpleasant emotions. So I’ve been sitting through a bunch of similar situations throughout the year without ever verbalizing it. I just compartmentalized it. Not the best way to deal with it, to be honest. I realize, that now that I am more firm in my own sobriety, it is about time to address this. As for now, I think expressing how the situation makes me feel would be a good first step. :orange_heart:

6 Likes

You’ve learned so much in your own sobriety Pandita. Especially this :point_up:

I remember the Holidays I use to cut loose and use the middle end of December to January 2 to drink up a shit storm of my own. I try to remember that so I’m a little less judgmental. And I keep the Three C’s with me at all times.

I didn’t Cause it.
I can’t Control it
I can’t Cure it.

Sometimes it’s really hard dealing with loved ones who are alcoholics and cutting loose on the Holidays. But it is a great reminder for me as well, now that I have some sober time under my belt. I don’t ever want to go back to that.

Good luck with your family Christmas gatherings this year. And Huge congrats on doing it sober. Again.
2 more things that help me a lot is to remember. How important is it?
And sometimes doing nothing Is doing something.
Blessing my sober friend :pray:t2::christmas_tree::heart:

10 Likes

With my family today. I felt better individuated from them than in the past. Their negativity and nagging and general disgruntledness didn’t get to me as much. Other than make me a bit shocked and sad. But it doesn’t creep inside of me like it used to and dissolve my bones. I’m grateful I have a different outlook on life. I work hard at not being that miserable.

My ex celebrated with us as we’ve always done, or most of our years together. It felt right to have him there. No thoughts of not inviting him, he has no other family in our country and he belongs. I enjoyed our time together. I feel very grateful for how our relationship is now. With more breathing space. He’s sadly not at the point where he can enjoy himself yet a lot. He’s very guarded, easily offended, insecure. It made me sad to feel he wasn’t as happy as me, but it’s just his own journey and development, dealing with his stuff. That’s just where he is with himself.
But it feels good that his struggles are not mine now. I can see him clearer for how he actually is, and he feels ever more carefully daring to show himself to me, with his struggles, rather than pretend to be what he thinks I expect him to be (codependency super mode) and avoid everything else. His struggles are just that - and they don’t equate to something that’s being taken away from me because I depend on it from him. Our relationship is a lot more relaxed and harmonious now that I don’t expect from him what he can’t give. I’m also more alone and there’s a sadness there too and a missing. At times when Im not careful I miss how we were. I see him with my family and the dogs and all our old routines and shared memories and I get to missing. But I must remember that a lot of that was him pretending and me believing. He was never actually being as open as I thought he was. It was me who was being genuine and I projected that into him. He was secretly never really at ease but hid that. Part of me does hope, maybe one day, when he’s happier with himself, who knows. But right now I want and have to just let him be on his journey and cheer him on from the sidelines - as he does me, too. That’s a good place to be for us rn.

Wishing you all happy holidays. Hope you’re all well. Wherever you and your loved ones are rn.

12 Likes

I didn’t write this. But this could definitely be my story. It really hit home for me. I’ve heard we go to AA to stop drinking. We go to Al-Anon to become sane.

I Learned What Acceptance Meant

I’ve never been an “accepter.” If something needed action (in my mind), I took action to fix it or to advise someone else how to fix it. If someone was hurting, I told them what to do to feel better. If someone was misbehaving, I let them know that what they were doing was wrong and unacceptable.

I was generally successful at managing others with my wisdom and insightful perspective. Occasionally, however, I was unsuccessful. When that happened, I got frustrated or angry, sometimes with myself, but more often with the other person or situation.

It wasn’t until I couldn’t fix what I thought was the most important thing in my life (the alcoholic) that I became overwhelmed with frustration, anger, disappointment, and depression. My love for my wife and my marriage slowly deteriorated, and my life was almost destroyed.

My life, which had once overflowed with optimism and self-confidence, became filled with doubt, fear, anxiety, rage, arguments, fury, and misery. It tore away at what I had always had the most confidence in—my ability to fix others; what was right and what was wrong; and (what was most important for my happiness) how others should be.

Al Anon taught me something I had not been aware of in 55 years of living: I was the one who was broken, I was the one in most need of fixing, and I was the only one I could fix.

It was the first thing I heard at my first meeting, and every meeting since then, “We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.” That First Step was the sound of the jailer’s key unlocking my cell and releasing me to discover a freedom I never realized existed for me.

I heard it with Step One, and then I heard it with the Serenity Prayer. At first, it was hard to grasp. But once I did and accepted the things I was hearing and learning, awareness took over and the rage gradually began to subside. The continuous arguments ceased. The misery turned to hope.

The change came about through acceptance. I learned to accept the realities of alcoholism that I had no control over. To accept the fact that, if I wanted peace, I could only control myself and my own reactions; and most importantly, rather than expecting others to be different, I needed to accept that I was the one who needed to look at my past, and what I needed to work on within me.
Through listening at meetings and reading our literature, I have learned to accept others as human beings with weaknesses and faults, as well as talents and good qualities worthy of respect and admiration.

I have learned to accept what difficulties may be facing me, allowing me to seek a peaceful way to cope with them rather than shooting from the hip. I have learned to accept what others say at meetings because it is true for them, and to accept the fact that I need to go back to those confusing and uncomfortable places of my childhood and adult life, learn what their impact on me has been, and accept what I cannot change, but changing what I can.

By Jeremy S., Missouri February, 2014
From Todays Hope

12 Likes

Thank you Em, I needed to read this in the morning when I hardly crawled out of bed. I have to talk to myself about boundaries within myself. I’m grateful I can take my time when I need it, no ex nagging about me being lazy when I’m exhausted and low on energy, unable to perform like a duracell bunny (or even a “normie”). I’m grateful this (his) voice in my head appears less and I shoo it with kindness for both of us. He has his own demons, preventing emotions and reflection by working physically all day to exhaustion to not feel nor having to look inside or at me or our relationship. I’m grateful this energy is no longer part of my life, it caused in me so much stress, worry, sadness, frustration and neglect. I re-learn slowly to have a healthy relation with my needs and wants, I neglected them for a long time because I focused on functioning and dealing with our relationship and flipping out regularly over his drinking. I practised detachment with resentment, now I work on detachment and letting go with kindness for both of us. There is still much love in me, this makes it hard. He doesn’t want my love anymore, did not for long before we separated. I believe him when he says he needs quiet and distance from me, he has to deal with a lot on his own because I was his anchor, always there, even when we fighted or he behaved like a complete asshole (mostly caused by his drinking).
Babysteps. Many babysteps also go a long way :pray:
I needed to get this off my chest. Now I feel better. Put it here instead of the gratitude thread because I feel it belongs here.

11 Likes

I am not really suffering from a loved one being an addict but after some consideration I thought it might be the best thread to put my thoughts in.

On Tuesday a guy from my local f2f contacted me asking for a coffee which we scheduled for today before the meeting. I know that shortly after his 90 days in December I believe he relapsed and is now caught again in his active addiction. So 2 hours ago he texted me saying that he drank again and is too hungover to make it to our appointment and asking for understanding.

I replied that I try to understand and that I hope he will finally get to the point reaching out before he drinks.

Now, I am really thinking (and that’s the point, thinking and not allowing my feelings to get to the surface) and asking myself: do I have to be understanding?
I think I would half smile maybe 20 years ago making fun with someone who drank too much. Bit this is different. Well that’s what I feel. To be honest I am angry and I am not understanding as I feel like he is asking me for permission und supporting his drinking.

Vent over.

9 Likes

Sorry to hear that. It is a hard to bear this side of being in active addiction: DOC comes first, rest of the world last, inbetween the cycle of using, coming off, using again …

It’s ok to be disappointed about the cancelling. Angry? Hell, I’m still angry on my ex that swigging beer was more important than talking to me, coming home on time, being reliable …
To be honest: That’s part of addiction. When you know somebody is actively using, you know the person is NOT behaving like a sober/“normal” person. Expecting it is foredoomed disappointment causing resentment. For me being drunk or hungover never was an excuse to dismiss the person being held responsible. This can be seen differently. For me being drunk or hungover never was an excuse for anything. On this point I’m pretty hard on myself and on others.

For me it is awfully hard to let go on this feelings, sometimes I just give up for the day and try the next day again. First of all: Be kind to yourself. Have a look where your feelings really come from. Maybe there is something within you that wants to be adressed with awareness?

You are not alone with this feelings. Vent away, it helps to get them out. Hugs :people_hugging::sunflower:

4 Likes

My dad od last night and i had to call into work cuz my heads everywhere and i cant function right atm. Been sober 7 months and this was a real test that i have no idea how i passed. Almost didnt when i saw the liquor section. Went to the hospital and stayed a bit till he had to have a xray to see if his sternum was cracked from the chest compressions. Im going to see him in a few mins to talk with him. Idk what else to do at this point.

5 Likes

Oh my gosh. That is a lot to deal with. I’m glad your dad survived and I admire the strength. You have to stay sober during this difficult time. Some days are one minute at a time, one hour at a time. Keep checking in here. We support you fully and I will be sending prayers of strength and comfort for both you and your dad.

4 Likes

Thank you and at this point i take it second by second. I really appreciate your support.

4 Likes

Sending you hugs and prayers :people_hugging::pray:
Keep coming here and share :sunflower:

2 Likes

So this morning I woke up with a sense of dreaded fear.

Thanks to Dana’s morning meditation recommendation. Ya I’m tagging you one last time @Butterflymoonwoman You have no idea how much you have help me this morning because of that share. You are a very integral part of this community. That meditation said not to let your fears control you.

Anyway……. I’m not sure how to face my fear but I thought I would at least dump it here so it would not have as much control over me.

I’m afraid of flying to Cali tomorrow with my wife. Suppose she drinks too much? Suppose she is too drunk to visit my grandson?

Now. I know I didn’t cause it. Well. First of all it hasn’t happened yet. So there’s that :thinking:

I know I can’t control it. I can only control myself. And that’s a full time job.
I can’t talk to her about it. Everything has already been said. It would just be me nagging her. There would be resentments. She knows I cannot lie to my daughter. It’s not like I could tell my daughter “mom is sick.” She’d know exactly what that meant.

Now I know, and I’m :100: confident, when we are in Cali my wife will do the right thing. But after we visit my grandson and fam she’ll hit the bottle at the hotel. I’m sure she will wait until after we visit. It’s just the flying and trip to get there that terrifies me.

I can’t cure it.
So I guess, like in Happy Gilmore, I’m just going to have to play it as it lies. Nothing has happened yet. Hell, we don’t leave for another 30 hours or so.

There was another great thing on that Morning Meditation, the 6th affirmation about listening. :thinking: Maybe if I try being a better listener? I know talking to her about it has been done to death.

And I know, maybe, just maybe :thinking: I’m setting up expectations to fail that haven’t even happened yet.

I do know I’m powerless over alcohol.
I do know I have a God and some Higher Powers to lean on. And of course you guys. And I could find an Al-Anon meeting in LA. Lots of recovery in that town.
And I’m just going to have to work a lot on Step 3 to get through this.

At least my sobriety is strong. And I will not drink.
My grandchildren will never get to know that other guy who use to drink all the time. No way!

I’m going to have a great time meeting my 5 day old grandson. And my daughter who is a mother now.
:pray:t2::older_man::baby::heart:

Edit.
Suppose she doesn’t drink too much?
Suppose she isn’t to drunk to visit our grandson?
Suppose everything is fine?

12 Likes

What a wonderful thing!! Congratulations!!

This changed my life as well. :purple_heart:

Today is a great day to be sober.

5 Likes

Big hugs for you Eric. Glad you are thinking through and voicing your concerns and what ifs.
Thinking about all of you … hoping for the best for you all. You’re thought about. Hope you will have a good meditation that you can listen to on the airplane. And perhaps ones for in times of duress. Hopefully not too much or any duress.
Much love and again congrats.
Big hugs and again congratulations.
(((( @Dazercat ))))
Exciting! Getting to meet your grandson tomorrow and your daughter the Mother and your son in law the Father! :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

3 Likes

Awe Eric… Im so glad that meditation helped. It was very useful for me too. You have done SO much internal work and i can see that thru ur post. I think its natural for us to “predict” the future. Especially when history shows us one thing (like how our loved ones with addictions behave more often than not). I may not be dealing with a loved one currently that is using or drinking, but I have been in many long term relationships with those that were and so i can definitly understand.
Youre right tho, everything could go so well. Your wife may not drink too much, we dont know. But i think u hit the nail on the head with being able to control what u can, which is yourself and your thinking, and having an amazing time with your grandson. Im so glad that youre not allowing the worry and anxiety to take over in ur mind, which could potentially ruin a very nice trip. And i know how much u want to spend time with ur grandson. It will go well bcuz ur sober and ur in control :slight_smile: thinking of u on ur trip… hugs!

3 Likes

8 months ago my life was totally unmanageable living with an alcoholic. Sometimes I have slip ups and go back to my old ways. But I don’t stay there very long. It’s no fun. Now I continue to ask God to show me how to look at things differently. Gratefully :pray:t2:. And I’m so grateful for Al-Anon and know I’m not alone. And I wouldn’t be where I’m at now without it.
:pray:t2::heart:

17 Likes

Congrats my twinnie. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Huge congratulations Eric! Im sure this has not been easy for you but u are doing it friend!!! Hugs!!

2 Likes

Thanks Dana.
Thanks @twinnie :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
@Its_me_Stella

4 Likes