Astronomy, science, rockets, NASA, and all the space topics thread. FREE ALIEN QUIZ INSIDE! DON'T WAIT! ACT NOW!

Look at this GIF the ESA made of the space debris circling Earth! :hushed: Wow :open_mouth:

IMG_0847

It’s still manageable but it is an increasingly cluttered space: How often does the International Space Station dodge space debris? | Space

The solution is clear folks :laughing: :innocent:

IMG_0849

7 Likes

And there’s another item of space trash added just the other day:

5 Likes

NASA’s Johnson Space Center flight controllers on the ground changed the orbit of the International Space Station two days ago or so to get it out of the way of debris. Debris avoidance maneuver.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s going to happen!!!
Calling all tank watchers!!!

7 Likes

“the super heavy booster just experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly” is a neat way of saying it exploded.

6 Likes

Incomprehensible for me, which makes it interesting too.

4 Likes

Fusion, baby… it’s happening! :star_struck: :smiling_face:

Energy, with minimal waste and minimal risk (compared to fission energy, and compared to all major, mainstream energy sources in use today), without any significant carbon footprint (relative to energy produced), and at a scale never seen before.

3 Likes

Allow me to remain a bit sceptical as my physics teacher told me it was happening too. And that was in 1980 :older_man:

3 Likes

Skepticism is welcome always. The ultimate skeptic is probably the Sun, who’s looking at us and thinking, Are you kidding me? You think you’ve got game?

But I think shining stars can get a little blinded by their own light sometimes. Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs at his own game by staying on the baseline and forcing him to move all over the court (to anyone who reads this and thinks Riggs’s age had anything to do with him losing that match, remember he beat Margaret Court handily, also in 1973, and she was just a year older than BJK).

Patience, planning, and persistence are the key. The glove has been thrown down; the challenge has been made. For some people (like BJK, or the fusion scientists), the challenge is irresistible. It’s an invitation to compete.

Tennis and its recent predecessors have been around for a few hundred years; if you trace back to its earliest recorded forms (like the French jeu de paume) it goes back over seven hundred years.

The game of large-scale energy production and distribution is in its infancy, I figure; we’re only about two hundred years in. I’m sure there’s a lot of discovery and development to come. In the meantime it’s fun to watch the players play :star_struck:

IMG_1442

Looking for a new holiday spot?

17 planets, all with subsurface oceans, and one just a quick drive from home at Proxima Centauri b. Pack your swim trunks! :swimming_man: :swimming_woman: :goggles: :diving_mask:

:star_struck:

3 Likes

The real question is do I get free checked luggage :joy:

4 Likes

Not sure how I missed this thread, my favourite topics, Brian Cox is my legend

2 Likes

Food on Mars!

5 Likes

The video wasn’t working when I pulled up the site. Do you know the basics of what they developed to make planting viable? I’m super interested in this topic. I’ve read books like John Carter of Mars, the Red Rising Series, watched The Martian (book in a list of things to read), and I love the Terraforming Mars tabletop board game.

3 Likes

CTV (another Canadian news source) did an article on Mike Dixon’s research into space food, maybe this one will work? It’s also newer, from 2021 (the other one was 2019)

2 Likes

It’s all part of the Deep Space Food Challenge, a partnership of the Canadian Space Agency and NASA:

2 Likes

Mike Dixon did a pretty detailed interview about the techniques they’ve been using, also some of the choices they’ve had to make regarding choice of plants and growth strategies:

There’s also a really interesting paper he was an author on for a 2009 symposium, paper title “MELiSSA: The European Project of a Closed Life Support System”, on page 3 (according to the printed page numbers) of the symposium proceedings, here:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sheila-Nathan/publication/233918527_Gene_expression_changes_in_space_flown_Caenorhabditis_elegans_exposed_to_a_long_period_of_microgravity/links/09e4150ced7be5c395000000/Gene-expression-changes-in-space-flown-Caenorhabditis-elegans-exposed-to-a-long-period-of-microgravity.pdf

The full list of all Mike Dixon’s research publications is available here, but be warned, most of it is technical and reports on specific lab findings, not so much about the outer space connections. There are some interesting ones though (like that report on the closed life support system, above, is from this list):

And if you’re interested in a little trip back in time, unrelated to Mike Dixon, this article about research performed on the Mir space station reports on plants grown through a full life cycle, from seed to mature plant to a new plant grown from the seeds of the first plant, all in space:

——

Editing to add content because I can’t have more than three separate replies in a row:

——

(this post added Feb 22, 2024)

Water,
created by the hydrogen of the solar wind hitting the oxygen in the soil of the Moon,
and being stored in glass beads on the Moon’s surface.

It is a much smaller amount of water (~2.7 x 10e14 kg) than is in Earth’s atmosphere (~1.4 x 10e21 kg) but it is lots of water for the purposes of fuelling and feeding explorers.

Cool!

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-023-01159-6

——

(this post added Feb 26, 2024)

Humans on “Mars” :muscle: :innocent:

A live Mars simulation (4 crew members in a Mars-simulating habitat, including growing their own food and other factors, like communication time delay, etc) recently passed the halfway point of its mission. What is discovered here will help plan the future journey!

2 Likes

Love this thread, I can’t count to save my life. (Think dyslexic but with math)
But If I could, I would’ve aimed to be either a storm chaser or a Space professor.

I do have a theory that my generation (The late 80’s early 90’s kids)
Got so fed with space utopias that we kinda got stuck in it.

The cartoons was about different dimensions,galaxy travels and advanced laser weapons, TNMNT I’m looking at you.
In other cartoons like Saber Riders we colonised planets where we lived. And The X-files which I followed even if I wasn’t allowed was a huge hit.

Believe it or not we even had “Alien night” in my church where we all where allowed to dress out as Aliens. I went as Dana Scully from the X-files. And got in trouble for even knowing who she was :laughing:

2 Likes

Want to help find supernovae? Extraterrestrial water? Planets? Other space stuff?

Join the volunteer Zooniverse science crew!

Scroll down at this link to find the active projects :+1:

3 Likes

images
Just like the song Space may be the final frontier, but it’s made in a Hollywood basement
The only reason we "Won The moon Race " Hollywood fooled the world at that time nasa could not put a tin can rocket in the sky even if they thought hard enough nor could Russia

1 Like