Back again šŸ˜”

I am planning on meeting with an addictions counsellor. Something I havenā€™t done before. Iā€™ve accepted defeat. I canā€™t do this on my own. Thank you for digging up that quote from my past. Sad to see not much has changed.

6 Likes

I honestly canā€™t remember anymore. Maybe a couple of weeks. No more than 3 Iā€™d say. I always find an excuse to ā€œunwindā€ at the end of the day.

3 Likes

When that thinking happens you have to think of something healthy to do instead. Replace with healthy behavior. These are good things to go over with your addiction counselor and therapist and if you start going to meetings.
Without looking back Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m correct that you have both of those or not. There is a meditation thread on here that would be helpful with people suggestions of what to listen to on Insight Timer and other apps, if you scroll further up thereā€™s more info. If you were able and feel like participating there are exercise groups on the site. They tend to start at the beginning of the month but thereā€™s ones that you can join in anytime. Thereā€™s lots on the site that will help you including the gratitude post. These every day routine things to do help a lot. You want to be able to fill up your old drinking time with new healthy behavior.
Talking about how you feel, being accountable about your sobriety hopefully your success and not your fails, even though fails are very much a part of it some of the time. Talking about it is very helpful especially if youā€™re talking to a group who have and are walking through a similar path. Iā€™m glad that youā€™re familiar with the site, you will be able to find yourself around and find some of these groups and threads that Iā€™m talking about.

7 Likes

Not too many live and somehow do it alone. The others are locked up or covered up.

Acceptance is the answer I needed too. Then a plan on how to live differently. I do it every day and it just works. A simple program for a simple drunk. Hugs & see ya around!

6 Likes

What are you doing on a daily basis to seek outside support for your sobriety?

3 Likes

Yet your last post was 7 months ago.

What have you been trying, seriously trying to get and stay sober? The mute wish itself wonā€™t get you there. And simply not drinking willl also not be enough.
Engaging, reading and posting here is a major asset in early and later sobriety. Would be a good starting point.

Here are some things that have helped other ppl who did them: Resources for our recovery

Here is what folks with long term sobriety can pass on: Your #1 tip for sobriety (over 2 years sober)

Good luck. It can be done. But you gotta do something.

7 Likes

Welcome back on here :slight_smile: best of luck. I find here very helpful with the support and advice etc and Iā€™ve relapsed many times too but found my way back here too. Coming up on 24 days now. One day at a time

6 Likes

You can do this. And try not to be to scared to face the truth about your health by hiding behind a bottle. You can have a sober life and you can have a healthy mind and body. You donā€™t need to apologise to anyone. But you do need acceptance and know you deserve better and to work on that daily. Get all the support you can and take it slowly. Wishing all the best

5 Likes

I also went back and read your old posts and you have used the word ā€œhopeā€ multiple times over the 5+ years since you joined this app, itā€™s a painful read and one Iā€™m familiar with, I ā€œhopedā€ for a long time I could control/manage my alcohol, I ā€œhopedā€ I would not further damage my health, I ā€œhopedā€ things would just change without having to really do anything. It took things to get really bad to realise I had to change everything.
Getting sober is hard work and not many people do this solo. Try everything, listen to those who have recovery time up their sleeve, get involved.
Iā€™m glad you have not given up :pray:

8 Likes

So glad you are back. Iā€™m so glad I never gave up. I canā€™t add anything, just reinforce that nothing changes if nothing changes. Whatever you havenā€™t tried in your past attempts (AA or other sober community meetings, rehab, etc.) need to be added to your recovery plan to have a shot at success. Getting sober doesnā€™t have to be done alone. I really loved my sober communities from day one.

Donā€™t let another 5 years go by still imprisoned by alcohol.

5 Likes

Try a meeting make it simple meet new sober friends who have been were you are now wish you well. have to make a effort if you want sobriety

5 Likes

So glad you keep coming back though! You obviously know what you need to do, and you have some fight in you. Time to really accept that you have a problem. Like really accept it. Accepting is a huge step because it isnā€™t just admitting you are powerless to this problem- itā€™s also finding your power to face head-on something to which you are defenseless. The only way you do that is with an arsenal of tools. It isnā€™t enough to just want to be sober. You have to work at it every minute of the day because that voice always creeps in and tells you itā€™s time to unwind and you can just have one and one drink or one day doesnā€™t hurt. This time around I am trying to keep it simple. I accepted my problem and found a great power in simplicity. My number one tool is that I never question my decision to not drink. No matter what I end up telling myself. I never question that decision. Everything else stems from that numero uno tool. And I like the poetry of admitting I was powerless and then finding power in making the decision to not pick up. I like the power of committing to it no matter what. Find your number one power- the thing you cannot question or talk yourself out of any time- and hammer it down. If you donā€™t know where to start or where to get the tools, read up the posts here, go to meetings, and find the people with the tools you can take and use immediately.

4 Likes

You will be soooooooo much happier if you quit! Good luck! You can do it!

Its really good to see you! Im sorry uv been struggling but im so glad ur back and fighting for sobriety again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great to see you back. Take it ODAAT. :sunflower:

1 Like

An old timer once said to me

ā€œThe gym and diet wonā€™t fix what is wrong with you, but it might make you a bit lighter for the guys carrying you into the churchā€

Hit home that one.

7 Likes

A pivotal point in my sobriety is when I changed my relationship with alcohol; you can learn about my process by clicking this link here.

Changing the way I viewed alcohol made it an easy choice to abstain. I encourage you to start changing your relationship with alcohol today!

3 Likes

What are you feeling physically I am in the same boat about damage

I used to feel the same way. Meetings worked for me. It was the last thing I tried and the first thing that worked. It was tough to give up my will power and admit I needed them and wasnt going just because I wanted to. Today Im over 2 years sober. Was a daily all day drinker didnt think I could or would ever stop until death.

4 Likes

Mainly just stress and exhaustion tbh. Iā€™ve also noticed my hair thinning which Iā€™m assuming is due to alcohol ruining my stomach. Iā€™m very fortunate to not experience many withdrawal symptoms.

1 Like