Back on track (again)

Hi Claire, sorry to hear you had to be admitted, but glad you’re making the right decision! I found it difficult to come to the conclusion that moderate drinking isn’t an option. I spend years figuring that out! But I think most of us go through that fase, thinking we can manage… We have to get to the conclusion ourselves. I read some old comments of me speaking about being able to drink again some day. But here we are today, having found out it’s not possible (for me)…

2 Likes

Hey how you’re doing ?

1 Like

Hey, still going strong, 34 days in :muscle:
I do get a bit restless, as drinking isn’t an option anymore to handle my boredom. Its crazy how much time you get extra on a day when not drinking. Figuring out what to do with my life. I work out, my house is clean and i finished Netflix. I have very few friends (besides the ones that I drank with), so that’s a bit boring too. I’ll figure it out eventually, but that whats on my mind atm!
How are you??

3 Likes

I’ve finished Netflix while drinking, so too bad for sober me :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :rofl: but thankfully didn’t remember much so I had some stuff to watch still!

Nice I’m 34 days in too! I’ve come to the same realization you had: alcohol not being an option at all, I have so much more time. Working on a lot of different project at the moment. I enjoy it a lot. I even surprised myself yesterday that I haven’t thought about drinking for awhile… at least 5 days and that’s amazing! But I know the danger is never too far and I got to be focused.
Nice to see you still going at it :v:

3 Likes

Congratulations on 34 days! Reading your experiences makes me feel not so alone. Yesterday I cleaned house, did the grocery shopping, and finished a library book. I also have very few friends that don’t drink/don’t make me feel weird for not drinking, which can make me feel very lonely. I’m trying to get out of the house regularly on my own in hopes I can meet new people and start building relationships with people with values in line with what I’m trying to accomplish these days.

I hope you have a fantastic Sunday! Maybe you can do something small to treat yourself? Rewatch something you love on Netflix? Take a bath? Go for a nice long walk?

2 Likes

Isn’t that funny, feeling weird for not drinking, lol… Great job btw!

2 Likes

Sober twin :sparkles: Good to hear you’re also going strong!
What kind of projects are you working on? I’m in dire need of some inspiration :wink:

1 Like

I feel you! The loneliness gets to me too sometimes, I never thought I’d be happy to go to work…
I’m currently doing some online shopping for my living room so that’s nice. I also like to walk and listen to an audiobook but I didn’t do that in a while. I will tomorrow, thanks for the reminder!
We will eventually learn to adapt to our fresh sober life, I’m sure of that. We’re in this together :muscle:

1 Like

Day 36
I just blocked my best friend out of my life. We both had so much in common, but after travelling together we got in a bit of a fight. Today I asked her (after a month of not speaking) how she was and got a indifferent reaction. I feel a bit stupid for reaching out. Sometimes I want to give up on friendships, it makes us so vulnerable.

3 Likes

Ride these emotions and feelings through. They will pass and you will feel stronger on the other side, knowing that you can deal with difficulty without reaching for the bottle!

1 Like

Day 44
Still feel a bit upset after the ‘brake up’ with my friend, but it’s getting better. Did some affirmations that were recommended on another topic and although I thought it wouldnt really help, it does feel good. I also bought some new books, one of them is Allen Carr’s. I like to read as the days are getting shorter.
My relationship with my son is so good at the moment. We hang out, watch movies together and talk a lot more these days.
As I get friends over this Thursday and weekend, I bought some small wine bottles, that way there won’t be a regular size bottle in the house.
I’m almost 1,5 month in and it’s amazing how the days go by so fast. It feels weird, I have a ton of emotions popping up and thoughts about how I used to be and how I handled things in the past.

3 Likes

I know what you mean about disbelieving these things.
But after being told to try anything with an open mind I tried it and found it to work as well.
I still tell myself every morning that today I’m going to be sober.

1 Like

Be strong,
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may feel sure of some response to my prayers. I pray that I may be content with whatever form that response takes.

1 Like

I love this song and have it on my playlist. It always gets me centered when I start worrying about everything and nothing.

*puts on more sunscreen.

2 Likes

Day 54
Had a long walk at the beach with some friends today, afterwards we had snacks and drinks at the parking lot (damn corona). They all three know I don’t drink and didn’t even offer wine. I was amazed! It was the first time they didn’t make a big deal out of it, although everybody was drinking. It was a bit hard to smell that red wine, but I was happy with my coke. Still going strong.

5 Likes

That’s great. What your friends did actually helps in a big way. It helps us to be relaxed about it if they are relaxed about it as well.
Helps us not to be scared of our choices.
I’m a big advocate for dropping people that continue to go on about it.
That sort of attitude is something we don’t need.
You have had a lovely positive day and can relax a bit more into your new life.

1 Like

Day 63
It’s getting hard sometimes. The feelings are raw and it’s hard to cope without alcohol. I don’t feel the urge to drink, but I miss the feeling of just being able to let it go for a moment. It gets harder to come out of bed…
I know I cut myself short and it’s a terrible feeling. I feel like I never really had a healthy outlook on life, friends, myself.

4 Likes

This is so so great to see Naomi. This is the start of growth, of realisation!
Be kind to yourself it’s not your fault you find yourself here, now. But at the young age of 41 you have the chance to turn this all around for you, because you deserve it!
Well done.

2 Likes

Thanks Geoff, that’s one way to look at it. I guess it’s a process, dealing with everything sober. I don’t feel like I’m young though, I feel like my best days are wasted and I’m left with incompetence to get through the second half of my life. I have accomplished little, I don’t like myself and have no clue where to start. I guess I’m ripe for therapy. But I’m a bit down the last days, I hope I feel more optimistic tomorrow :pensive:

1 Like

By the way, thank you for commenting time after time. I really appreciate you reading my posts :pray:

1 Like