Binge eating recovery daily check in thread (Part 2)

Aw, Cam. I can totally understand how that interaction sent you spiraling. As Alisa says, it says everything about them and nothing about you.

6 Likes

Are you getting advice from a Dr or nutritionist about the number of calories you should be consuming?

3 Likes

I donā€™t feel comfortable commenting on other peoples eating decisions, but I feel also very concerned about the amount of calories you are talking about. I can only ask the the same question as @Misokatsu: Do you have some kind of professional support with this?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve deleted the post, because I think it may be triggeringā€¦

But my primary care doc has basically said weight should reduce quickly to help with other things, to be fair it also gained quicklyā€¦

Iā€™ve been eating mostly vegetables and some meat. Not much fruit or carbs :pleading_face:

7 Likes

1000kcal is too little for any grown up person no matter your weight even if you weighed 600lbs on a weight loss journey :joy: I think that is the matter. And I think youā€™re hiding a need to restrict behind the intention to lose weight rapidly. I think that was more the matter than any triggering here. :slight_smile:

Best to calculate your daily required calories w a reliable online calculator and then reduce that by a few hundred. Not by half or more.

Welcome back to the thread and keep posting! :-*

7 Likes

Day 7. I am doing smooth. Heat is helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Youā€™re probably right. I didnā€™t even consciously decide to restrict, but it is an old habit. Eating disorders have a way of slipping back in when Iā€™m feeling rough. It could be because I donā€™t feel like I have a lot of control in other things, and subconsciously I wanted that controlā€¦

I will increase to 1500

7 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree moreā€¦

5 Likes

Today I have eaten a half bagel with a slice of provolone and some shaved turkey while at work. I took the inside of a turkey provolone and a bagel and split it with a friend.

For dinner I am making chicken pot pie. And if I feel hungry after, I will grab some veggies and dip them in ranch.

Not a great ā€œfood dayā€ but not the worst

6 Likes

Day 1302 : No binge today. :blush:

@Scorpn
Chicken pot pie is very similar to what we had today. We had chicken & dumpling soup. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Primary care doctors are not always the most well versed in weight loss (or what should be fat loss actually). If possible get a nutritionistā€™s advice, or I also agree with Faugxh, both with the target for calories and that people with disordered eating use a genuine need to lose weight or exercise as an excuse to use disordered eating behaviour.

7 Likes

@Bomdhil Congrats on a whole week! :partying_face: :sunglasses: Well done :+1: Keep it going.
@Scorpn Welcome to the thread :wave: Chicken pot pie sounds interesting. Itā€™s not a common dish where I live. What do you put into it?

228 sugar
92 UPF
99 gluten
74 dairy
2 overeating

8 Likes

@Faugxh @Jana1988 @Alisa @acromouse @Aleyadaisey @Misokatsu thank you all for your compassionate replies, I appreciate you :face_holding_back_tears:šŸ©µ

@acromouse coongrats on 90+ days no UPFs :tada:
@Bomdhil congrats on your week :tada:

3 days no crisps.
2 days no binge-eating.
0 days no takeaways, no sugar.

Checking-in with yesterdayā€™s numbersā€¦

I weighed myself yesterday and Iā€™m the heaviest Iā€™ve been this year so far. Instead of making me resist the takeaway I was craving, it backfired,ā€œf**k itā€ mode was activated, and I ordered one. I was able to limit myself, so it wasnā€™t a binge, thatā€™s something, but instead of ordering the zero sugar coca-cola, I chose the original one. Now, back to no takeaways again, I made it to 394 days before, so I know I can do it, and that helps.

šŸ©µ

9 Likes

Shredded chicken breast, cream of chicken soup, mixed veggies, and pie crust. Very simple. Also good with the filling and biscuits (or savoury scones- which I think actually sounds more appetizing):blush:

5 Likes

Trying to get control of myself. Iā€™ve sort of spiraled in response to big life changes (new job and home) and itā€™s really hard to make good choices. When I eat itā€™s like another person takes over my body and mind and I canā€™t do any of the things I should be doing like evaluating my hunger or eating mindfully or anything. How do I stop my addiction from taking control?

3 Likes

Hmmā€¦ Just do the best you can.

For me, if I grab a big container of something and tell myself Iā€™ll only eat a little, I usually have too much, but if I portion it out before I sit to eat, I rarely go back for more.

Having a variety or flavors and textures can help tell your mind youā€™ve had enough.

Drinking enough water throughout the day

3 Likes

What are the things that worked for you in the past?

2 Likes

Yeah typically I buy pre-portioned things of snacks so I donā€™t have to think about it. But sometimes I decide to pick up like a bag of candy or chips while Iā€™m at the gas station. Lately I have been able to just eat 1 or 2 servings of it and then force myself to throw away the rest. But I would like to just not buy it in the first place cuz itā€™s a waste of money and calories.

3 Likes

Tracking calories helps me a lot, Iā€™ve only been doing it sporadically. The best success Iā€™ve had was eating 1200 calories a day for a decent deficit, but this past year or so I have been doing 1345 which is easier to meet.

Not eating out or buying junk food would definitely help. Good meal prep and meal planning for the next few days.

4 Likes

Good meal prep and planning is fundamental for me as well. So for me this would be where Iā€™d start.
I donā€™t count calories, but Iā€™d also make sure that the amount of food I am aiming for is not too low, as restrictions often trigger and cause bingeing behavior, and can be part of an endless restricting/bingeing-cycle. So this would be a question Iā€™d ask myself as well.
Keep us updated on your journey :+1:

7 Likes