Bird watching

The yellow cardinal report has been recirculating recently. When the report initially came out, i was on the lookout for it. It was spotted only a few miles from my home. Redbirds are my favorites!

2 Likes

The cardinal is our state bird, and I see them all the time visiting the many feeders on our property. One issue is in the spring they attack their reflection in my office window. I have to put a cardboard cutout of a person in the window to keep them away.

3 Likes

Is it of any significance which person’s likeness is used to repel them?

Ha! Not really. It’s something I had laying around. A really old display from back when I worked nights and weekends at a Blockbuster Video store.

1 Like

Blockbuster? I haven’t heard that name in years. I worked at one as well

There was one many years ago who would sit n peck at his reflection on the side mirror of my neighbors car. I would see it often on early morning runs.

Blockbuster… memory lane activated.

@SweetTea. I know the exact bird. It is black, white, and has a touch of orange. The bird jumps from mirror to door … mirrror to door … mirror to door … over and over and over again. It is comical to watch. @Yoda-Stevie. I still owe some VHS rentals back to Blockbuster. 16 candles and Weird Science. LOL :joy:

1 Like

This is the kind I’m talking about…male cardinal. Cardinals live as couples for life. (-:

3 Likes

Here is a female and male that i painted on a card for someone.

9 Likes

Wow thats really good! My grandmother loved redbirds. I learned to love them too. Whenever i see one, it makes me feel good.

1 Like

Grumpy American Robin. BECAUSE IT’S SNOWING IN 2nd WEEK OF APRIL AND WE ARE ALL GRUMPY

12 Likes

Aaww poor thing. We are having snow today and i just wish for the birds it would become warmer soon

Not “bird watching” in the traditional sense, but this horrifying picture of a scary goose with a razor tongue was the default photo when I opened firefox this morning.

6 Likes

Love this thread! I am not very good at bird ID but
I would like to learn and have downloaded an app which says it can recognise their songs. I use the sound as a reminder to be mindful and now it’s getting lighter and warmer I’m enjoying listening to them as I wake up :bird::heart:

1 Like

I can always count on Yahoo’s news headlines and/or images to gross me out or rip my heart to shreds. I’ll stick with Google.

2 Likes

Cardinal (for @SweetTea), song sparrow and downy woodpecker.

9 Likes

Didn’t get pictures but my partner mowed the lawn yesterday (it was getting to be a real jungle) and the blackbirds were loving it, lots of tasty treats all of a sudden in easy reach!

3 Likes

OMG - this is when I start to lose my S***. The ice is melting (FINALLY) and aquatic birds coming back. Now it is spring…

Female and male Common Merganser.

13 Likes

Aren’t they fabulous? Been seeing lots of hooded mergansers here as well. Love this time of year just for the waterfowl alone. And soon we will be warbler watching! Already have seen some Kinglets.

1 Like

Not sure what this one is. Usually they fly off when people get close. This one was a bit more comfortable with people around.

Ive gotten to enjoying bird watching more recently. There are a lot of different birds in the area Im living.

11 Likes