Bird watching

I’ve got a honeysuckle growing in my courtyard, I leave nuts out for the robin, blue tits, great tits and long tailed. They normally have a route where they fly off the fence, into the honeysuckle and onto the feeder but for the past few days they’ve been quiet. I assumed the warmer weather meant more food. I’d seen a blackbird with nesting material in her beak and a male knocking about too but thought nothing more of it. Then this afternoon I went to tidy up some leaves and saw a little orange beak poking out of a nest in the honeysuckle!!

Luckily I’ve not been out there that much as its very close to the house so I’ll keep my activity down outside until she’s had her chicks. If I can I’ll take a picture but I’m afraid of disturbing them as the courtyard there is very small. I can’t wait to see baby blackbirds though :grin:

2 Likes

Made friends with a cobra chicken birb today. It avoided others but kept following me around.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Not a unique sight around these parts, but saw this turkey outside of work this morning. We are overrun with them around here.

I felt bad for this one, she was all alone and calling out, obviously looking around. Hope she finds her family. I’ve named her Barbara. Good luck, Barbara.

6 Likes

Beautiful!

This morning i saw a northern flicker on my deck and nearly feel off my couch.

1 Like

I think I may have a bunch of northern flickers hanging out at my house. Will have to pay more attention.

2 Likes

They are around the state, but i had never seen one. I always get excited when i see something new. Brings the number of species of woodpeckers at my feeders to 5 :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Looked at pictures. I am pretty sure that mine are eastern yellow-shafted flickers.

2 Likes

Isn’t this guy just stunning? The Norther Flicker I saw yesterday morning. :hearts:

17 Likes

I think this is a barn swallow. Just made a new nest outside a storefront.

6 Likes

Yes, they were flying around inside the store, and hanging out. It was pretty funny :laughing:

1 Like

Seen in the local nature reserve. Lovely walk with my wife and dogs.

4 Likes

Meet my new friends, the Yellow Rumped Warbler.

12 Likes

The yrw here are Audubon’s with yellow throat.

For @TMAC

8 Likes

8 Likes

Ahhh thank you so much! I love those feathers. That might be my new phone background

1 Like

There is a Heron that sometimes sit by the pond at work. Don’t know why, there’s no fish in it. He flies off as I park so I’ve not been able to get a photo. One day!

The rough skinned newts? We have a newt that’s a Great Crested. That’s quite rough skinned. It’s protected. Causes all sorts of problems with building projects.
I’ve found a few where I work.

1 Like

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made :joy:
I lived in the countryside all my life. This village, about 30 years. You wouldn’t believe the amount of times newbies fresh from the big cities ask about streetlighting.:wink: