Bird watching

Took this picture a few years ago when I was in Wyoming. Not sure what kind of bird this is.

4 Likes

Looks like a magpie to me – although I could be wrong, not sure if we have them in the US. Regarded as one of the most intelligent birds (and animals in general). Not kidding, they’re quite clever.

2 Likes

SO HAPPY to see this Baltimore Oriole this morning!!

14 Likes

Wow! Amazing!! :grinning:

Strangely enough, I’ve been thinking about Orioles alot lately! Such vibrant colors, magnificent birds. It’s rare that we get them here, but they are around. Its such a treat when I do see one, that orange is so stunning. It has been a few years since I’ve seen one. Now with the house, we’re putting out feeders soon, so maybe one will come for a visit.

2 Likes

I’ve always been told these are magpies. In BC they’re everywhere. Very smart and adapt easily to human environments.

2 Likes

Went to the shop during work, excited to hang my first birdfeeders at our new(ish) house! Its our first spring here.
We have so many different types of birds in the woods which surround the backyard. I spent a bit reading up on the feeders, their maintainence/cleaning, and what different birds like to eat. I also learned how to make my own hummingbird “nectar”.

Lets feed and watch some birds! :grinning: Hope to get some photos for the gang here.

6 Likes

Male Scarlet Tanager :two_hearts:

10 Likes

There seem to have been many around lately, though this was my first sighting of the tanagers this sprimg. Had two females and at least one male, maybe more. They seem to come around may, but it is currently unseasonably cold here.

1 Like

@coddy2hotty
Black-billed magpie
We have yellow-billed in CA near Santa Inez mountains.
Also, we call Steller’s Jays camp robbers. :unicorn:
Great pic!

And here is the female Scarlet Tanager - olive green and easily blends in, unlike the bright red male.

7 Likes

I was out for the dawn chorus yesterday morning. I heard the very first bird that started it off, a blackcap warbler according to BirdNET.

We went for a walk in the afternoon and saw some swallows flying around a barn. There was a heron flying down the river. A pheasant flapped out at us. We saw something flying out of the fields too, possibly a corn bunting but not entirely sure.

2 Likes

Heard my first Cuckoo yesterday, and then again today. His call echoed around the valley.

2 Likes

I cheated for this because it’s at the zoo, but it’s the first time I’d ever seen them in person!

1 Like

Fledgling Robin that’s been hopping around on my deck (can’t fly yet)

9 Likes

Upping my game - got serious with my new lens today… And had an awesome time with good sober fun.

9 Likes

Amazing! Brilliant photos.

1 Like

Tons of jays around this morning.

6 Likes

Spoonbills show up occasionally in this Amsterdam park that has a nice little wetland at the back. There’s always plenty of photobombing grey herons about :smile:

8 Likes

Sorry for more bird pics already, but we finally got our first oriole today! I’ve been waiting!

5 Likes

Yay! Cut some oranges in half and stick them out there, or some grape jelly in a dish, and they will love it!

1 Like