Boar Day 731

Good morning sober folks!

I’ve never been one to self-celebrate, I haven’t made a post for any of my other milestones. It was never good enough. I was super happy for other people, but me myself, I was always still coming short of my own expectations.
TWO YEARS after turning the big page and becoming sober I have finally learnt the lesson that setting yourself apart in self-deprecation and self-loathing is still setting yourself apart. I’m not special, I’m not less, I’m one of you all here and could not be more happy to be. when you have an anniversary, you share with the community and you let everyone else in on the achievement. you don’t simmer in self-serving regret and needlessly take away from your own light. you become one of the many, finally. this is the latest lesson I am learning. and it’s a really big one for me.

I am still a massive perfectionist so I’m gonna write this out as it comes and force myself to not attempt to make it comprehensive. and not re-read and try and make it concise and more “readable” and apologise at the end either. this is the internet. there is enough space for everyone.

I was a drunk because I was depressed. from my youth on, I felt away from people. I felt the separation of souls from each other like the never-healing wound of a cut off limb. the few people I loved, I loved with such abandon, need and fierceness that they all got enough of me after a while. violent separation scenes ensued. it was palpable to everyone there was no independent soul in me, that could live on its own in any way. I was dependent on people. when there was a disagreement with a friend I would fall into a pit of guilt deep as a volcano. when the friend got over whatever bugged them and allowed me back in their graces, I was dancing with the sunlight and a unity and happiness surged through me I could have sustained myself on forever. until the next situation. I had learned this behaviour in my family. where no one is independent and we are all guilty of and responsible for everything everyone does and feels at all times. and no one’s ever happy, content or in any sort of good place. and I was soaking up all this guilt and all this pain. when they blamed me for their unhappiness on top of this, a perfect guilt storm had me locked in.
absolutely most people though, I feared. I couldn’t go anywhere, talk to anyone at all roughly my age without feeling such intense inferiority it was like a shameful fire was eating me alive. “forever being less good” was my fate. and I was coming ever more into it. I hated myself. and I hated others because I feared them.

It took me many months in therapy to realise that I had not gotten enough as a child in my family. enough love, any respect at all, any independence, enough kindness, attention, patience, interest even. we got way too little, my sister and I. for a while I was obsessed with thinking about this and being angry at my parents. I still am angry. but I have come to a point where I can ask a different question: who am I, what do I want? not: what happened to me. I thought the day would never come. that I am becoming my own person.

drinking kept me stuck in all my ways in which I was not living. not developing. all my pain and harmful, toxic, unliveable thoughts, habits and tendencies it supported, conserved, held up like laws under which I was enslaved.
sobriety for me is nothing less than the possibility of becoming a person. of having agency. of having a life, from day to day, consistency. remembering my thoughts, following my own story. honouring my relationships. knowing what I am about. building habits, learning skills, investing time in things I enjoy and that make my life beautiful.

two years ago, we had gotten a dog I was pretty much caring for on my own. because my boyfriend was never home. he worked a high-prestige and high- stress job and didn’t have time. he also lived a double life, unbeknownst to me. my drinking kept me nice and tucked in, far from ever allowing the thought anything was wrong with us and that I was unhappy with the way things were. my sobriety and recovery have since made it possible to finally face these truths. for him to start his own recovery. for us to meet in mututal respect and honesty. give our love a true chance. things are not always rosy. but they are real.
my beloved dog used to be sad. I was so unhappy and always drunk, I was not able to provide the special security and bonding she needed. she’s a special girl. now we have two dogs. my first is no longer unhappy. and my second has not had a unhappy day in her life. I’m a good, proud Scottie mama and they are my absolute stars. I always joke I tell them more often I love them in a single day than I heard my parents ever say to me all the while I grew up. and saying that I can rejoice in my ability to love, not focus on the bitterness that I myself was lacking in it.

my flat was a mess. there was literally a corridor in the bedroom so we could get to the bed. the living room we could not use, apart from a small area for a barbell.
Now I have some two dozen house plants. I renovated my flat and build a lot of shelves and a table even. we have a weight station. two dogs live here and have space to play. in my kitchen I make cakes I sell at work. it’s clean and functional enough for that. it’s a home.

I used to be lonely. in between work shifts I would often not talk to a single person for days or go anywhere. if I had to meet people, I was drunk. my social anxiety and inferiority was like the water in a fish tank. now I know so many people, mostly ladies, in my neighbourhood and I say hello and have a chat with at least one person like every time I leave the house. often I am touched by their lives and feel honoured to share a little thing or two. I feel stable and normal during these interactions. I can be myself. not try and be something to the other person.
some old friendships fell away. they haven’t made the transition into a more honest, deeper connection and would have needed for me to remain the forever submissive. that has been painful. but new relationships are being formed which I feel like I can breathe in. I wouldn’t have thought I’d be making any more friends at my age.

sobriety will deliver on all levels you need it to. if you put the work in, of course.

things I can tell you after two years:
do therapy. positive thinking, recovery slogans, memes, podcasts, literature, biographies, even the forum - all things I value SO highly and have done SO much for me. but the mind is powerful. the unconscious will win over the conscious mind, the mind that wants to be better, in many cases. that’s why we have relapses. why people repeat the abuse they suffered in their own relationships. why they always get into the same messes again. why we develop chronic physical symptoms if we don’t deal with our emotional stuff. nobody wants to do these things. but they are part of you and happen for a reason. you can hear a thousand times: “be kind to yourself”, “don’t blame yourself”, “you’re worthy” etc. and if you can believe that and can live accordingly that’s wonderful and I’m happy for you! pass that shit on!
but to all the people who feel they are so far away from implementing positive attitudes, developing self worth, self-affirmative forces in themselves: you are not broken forever! but you are broken on a deep enough level that the transformative force needs to be massive. like, you need the Grand Surgery of the Soul. so, if the measures you’re taking aren’t enough to keep you sober OR if you’re not as happy as you wished to be and I know you can be because I’ve been there: do therapy. I do Psychoanalysis and I would not be nowhere near where I am if I didn’t.

recovery is not streamlined. neither is life. accept the ups and downs, the specific qualities of life, emotions, thoughts. they come and go. take comfort in this. I still fall into depressive episodes. but it’s a lot less often and I can deal with it a lot better. but it still sucks hardcore.

everyone should listen to the Mental Illness Happy Hour with Paul Gilmartin who’s a saint.

I want to thank this community which has done more for me than you guys will ever know - unless you’ve felt the same thing as I know many of you have. I was not a person who ever reached out. It’s still uncomfortable. and one time it went entirely wrong and I had to withdraw a post. but my trust has grown. I never belonged. fear still often tells me I don’t. but my trust has grown. there are many beautiful souls on here who have touched mine in the secret, everlasting ways only true connection and vulnerability can bring. like pinpricks of gold. I can’t name all of the names of people who’ve done that to me, I don’t know all the names. But if you think you might be one of the people who touched me because I responded to your posts, then you are absolutely right. you did. and I thank you with everything I’ve got. people of the lounge. people of the weightlifting thread. people who have bared themselves so I could see you and feel close to you. thank you. I am absolutely blessed to be part of this place.
love you guys
:boar: :gem: :coffee:

and people who think this is too long: you can FRO! :joy:

27 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you! Your messages that it is ok to make mistakes in sobriety, that sobriety gives us a chance to relieve ourselves of the burdens of guilt, self loathing and perfectionism are so welcome to me this morning!

It sounds like you have grown into the idea that a return to drinking is foreign, it’s not a viable option. You are in that beautiful place of acceptance of things as they are, instead of wishing or insisting that something or someone must change.

Well done on your two years, you are a CHAMPION!
:birthday::tada::heart:

5 Likes

Thank you Dan. I’m glad you got sth outtta my post. Thanks for your words. Means so much. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

You’ve come so far here F. Congratulations on two years but more importantly congratulations on 24 hours at a time - that’s how you’ve made it this far and that’s how you’ve woken up and found yourself :innocent:

Animals really are amazing. They are honest and present; they meet us where we are and they ask to be met where they are; they don’t lie, they don’t pretend. I think it’s no coincidence that your sobriety date lines up with the date you became a pet mama.

I’m happy you’re connecting, here on TS, and also with the neighbours around your flat. It is you, being present, honest, and communicating in healthy, mutually beneficial ways - and we all benefit from that :innocent:

Congratulations!

2 Likes

What a wonderful post!! Thank you so much for sharing your journey and thoughts here. And 2 years is an incredible accomplishment. You have so much to be proud of. :clap: I hope your day is / was fabulous and you continue on your beautiful journey of health and healing. :heart:

4 Likes

Great post, thank you for sharing. I relate to so much of what you have said. Huge congratulations on 2 years!!!:clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

Great share. I can relate to so much. I also was surprised and educated to learn that hating yourself is a strange kind of reverse pride and also narcissism. I also find ways to feel inferior to everyone else, then feel just worthless and hateful. But also defensive and angry, and I create that all myself. I can also trace it back to 100% conditional love from my mother, that would be retracted if I ever disagreed or acted in ways disagreeable to her. I am happy you are progressing and it gives me hope. Congratulations on ur hard work!

5 Likes

Huge congrats on your two years and again for your insights! Big hugs to the North! :blush::four_leaf_clover::birthday:

3 Likes

Major congrats to you and thank you for sharing your story. It helps me to stay sober today!

2 Likes

Thank you! This makes me so glad.

1 Like

Danke meine Liebe! Wie schön dass wir uns hierüber kennen! :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Absolutely, same here. I’m glad you’re also getting the hang of some of those tricks our minds play on us to keep us isolated ! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Thank you! Means a lot to me!

1 Like

Thank you sassy! You’ve been such a big inspiration! I’m having a fab day with my Queenies. Also jut got my belly tattooed, which was pretty ouch! :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you Matt! I loved your input here right from the start. Thanks for always making me feel seen and normal, warts and all! :heart:

2 Likes

I’m happy to know you have really worked on your insecurities, low self esteem, attachment issues during your sobriety, there is so much more that stems from addiction then just being addicted to a substance. Early childhood trauma is such a major factor and something I had no understanding of until just before I walked away from alcohol myself. Don’t allow your inner child to hold you back from the woman you’ve grown into because you’re capable of tackling the world, you’re not helpless you are unstoppable when you believe in you :ok_hand: no one who has achieved 2 years of sobriety is a helpless person I’m so happy you’ve made these changes in your life to create a happy life for yourself.

So proud of you for hitting 2 years and all of us appreciate the milestones because these kinds of posts are highly influential towards almost anyone who is starting sobriety and can see what progress can come from hard work and determination, even to someone like me this is inspiration. Looking good on your 2 years lady enjoy your walk and enjoy your day, own it and embrace it, it’s yours :metal:

2 Likes

Great post! Thank you for sharing your journey and thank you for the amazing support you show me and others in this community.

Congratulations on 2 years! :tada:

2 Likes

Thank you Lisa. I’ve received more than I give. You’re always welcome to anything I can offer. Thanks! :heart:

2 Likes

Got some happy tears in my eyes reading this. Thank you for your wonderful supportive message Ethan. It’s is so highly appreciated. :fire::muscle: And your journey has been just as inspirational for me.

2 Likes

Oh wow, that does sound ouchy!! Hope it heals up easily!!:heart:

2 Likes