Career/Jobs

Hey folks. Im feeling down. Im 31…sober for almost a year from cocaine and alcohol. I have never had a “career” just worked odd jobs but nothing that made me happy and fullfilled. Im unemployed. I dont have any references or fancy degrees. I have a community college diploma. Have no clue what path I want to go down for a job/career, I’m lost. Today I was with a friend and he said your way behind the 8-ball getting started in a career and its almost too late. It made me really sad and hopeless. Started crying when I got home. Need some support. Thanks xo

1 Like

Mate, who says you gotta have a career at all. I mean what is a career? You spend most of your life slaving to get qualified to do a job that might not be there for long only to be thrown on the pile when you’re too old!
Is there anything that you have enjoyed doing in your life, that you think you would enjoy doing for a few years?
There is always a way to move forward, I’d say don’t listen to people who say things like that. I didn’t become a builder untill I was late 30’s, before that I worked in factories, before that I trained as a chef.
Just be you.

15 Likes

That’s pretty negative what your friend said it’s never too late to start a career not sure if you need a career in something to be able to work also 31 is not too late to start anything in your life

3 Likes

Also want to say congratulations on your clean time you did an awesome job

3 Likes

My friend has worked for red bull for 12 years. They have great in house advancement and decent pay. No one starts at the peak of their career. Typically you need to take an entry level position and work your way up. Plenty of places don’t require degrees. If you are East coast based you could also try Wegmans. They are great place to work.

3 Likes

I think 31 years old is young enough to find a job/career you like. I’ve switched my healthcare career for a job in a store because I liked it more then the career I had. I earn less money, but have a job I like. I was 41 years old when I did that.
Just follow your :heart:
Maybe find a jobcoach who can help you figger out what you would like to do?

5 Likes

Okay ill give it some thought. Thanks for the support and advice mate.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Really great having support. Hope you are doing well.

1 Like

Okay thanks! Those are great options. Hope you are doing well in sobriety :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay I will look for a jobcoach thats a good head on approach. Thanks! Enjoy your Sunday.

2 Likes

Good points. I hope you are enjoy your time as a builder. Have a nice Sunday!

And theres nothing better then getting advice from a mate thats been in my shoes!

3 Likes

It’s really really not too late, we can all start over at any point in our lives. That person was seriously projecting their insecurities on you. You are exactly where you are supposed be to be right now.

What can you do today, to set yourself up for tomorrow? Your goal is to be doing something you enjoy right? But you don’t know exactly what that is… Try to find a commonality in all of your jobs, what did you like, where did you excel? Where do you feel you shine?

6 Likes

Yeah you are never to old to find a career. That is if you want a traditional career. I personally think there is nothing wrong with trying out different jobs or working odd jobs. Who knows if that that next job you take you could end up retiring from it 30 years down the road. Remember all jobs will suck to some extent, that is why they pay to do them.

4 Likes

Thanks for the support! I will do some reflection on these points. Makes me feel better!!

1 Like

Amazing. Inspiring. I’m so happy you are happy :slight_smile: thanks!

1 Like

Wow this is inspiring and gives me hope. Thank you for your kind words and good vibes. This is very true. Hope you are having a nice sober day!

1 Like

It’s never too late! But it does take gumption, dedication and drive, all of which you possess if you’ve quit booze and coke for almost a year.

Just remember, when it comes to life, It’s not a race and therefore there’s no need to compare your self with others. :blush:

3 Likes

Yes I agree. Thank you for the support. Means the world to me.

1 Like

Your friend is a twat.

31 is young, for heaven’s sakes you were in your 20s less than two years ago. Maybe you can’t find a career because a career isn’t that important to you, but you need a gig for some cash and self-respect. When your mind wanders to what makes you happy where does it go? That’s where the golden ticket is.

3 Likes