Character Defect of the Day

Tolerance which goes hand in hand with acceptance.
Im so tired of reading Dr. Pauls chapter in the big book. One day i will have pg. 417 memorized :rofl:

2 Likes

Interesting! And probably less alarming for neighbours than screaming in your car which I’ve used to release negative energy before :joy:

1 Like

Id probably have to day the main character defect experienced today was self pity. There were others im sure but not sure what they are exactly

1 Like

Self centered.

Only my thoughts, opinions and feeling are relevant to any given situation.

Working on being more self aware and intentional.

3 Likes

Seems consistently tolerance and acceptance

I know for sure when I still drank I didn’t stand up for myself enough. Since being sober I do a lot more than I used to.

Oh and I made a lot of poor choices of the caliber of friends I kept. Partying all the time let too many losers and toxic enablers into my life. Keeping friends like that makes me no better than them in the end.

2 Likes

I struggle to get out of a negative mindset. My mind stews over things that I have no control over and I struggle to let go.

I am working on finding the balance between sitting with my feelings and letting my brain run off down another catestrophic rabbit hole.

4 Likes

That’s cool. Try to focus on the positive outcomes that you can control for yourself…

Atrocities and bad things happen everyday all over the world and have since the dawn of time.

How we let any of that impact ourselves is on our own account and no one elses. Society or the news or something we cannot control does not control our own sobriety, we do.

The most important thing we need to change in sobriety is our own selves.

5 Likes

Envy

It was pointed out to me that I have been talking shit about people. Essentially, using sarcasm to knock people down. Sometimes to their face sometimes behind their back.

I had no idea I was even doing it or worse, why.

I don’t think I feel envious but I can’t explain the scornful behavior.

Running others down to make me feel better about myself.

4 Likes

Were you just joking around or was it ill intended? Intent makes all the difference in these situations.

2 Likes

Believing that dear people don’t want the best for me. Being suspicious and mistrustful.

4 Likes

For years I avoided the fact that I have a CD too.
I don’t know how it’s called, so I explain it.
Since I can remember I never wanted to be the one who has luck. I wanted to be the miserable one, without any luck. I refused the fact that I’m worthy of love, worthy of friends, worthy of having a good life.
It’s almost like I want to fail so others can pity me. Like self sabotaging my whole life.
“I don’t have to start this or that, I won’t make it good anyway”. It’s crazy.
This feeling is always inside me, I now know how to fight it.
But ugh it’s not easy.

6 Likes

The fact that ive completely shut myself down from any relationship with the opposite sex because its never worked out in the past, i believe im incapable of making a relationship work no matter how hard i try

3 Likes

I hadn’t considered that.

I won’t excuse my behavior but I appreciate the perspective.

2 Likes

Actually outcome is far more important than intent. If I say some mean shit (and we all know I do) but intend it to be a joke but the outcome is that I hurt someone then it really doesn’t matter what my intent was.

4 Likes

That is a fair and important point.

It really doesn’t matter what my intent is if I am hurting someone with what I am saying.

To be fair, in some cases I can’t imagine how someone could take my words seriously and it’s on them to let me know how they feel.

Bottom line. I try, but rarely succeed on living by the rule of if it isn’t kind, necessary or true don’t say it.

Always a work in progress I guess :innocent:

1 Like

Thought id post these. I came across this list today in my storage boxes haha i quite like it! Thought it may be helpful:

9 Likes

For me often it’s hard to admit others to have the same right liking me as I have to like them. Accepting that I might not be the person they turn to or reach out to even when I do to them. Accepting that my offering an ear, a shoulder and help is not what they need at the moment. Like I have the same right.

7 Likes

Fear in all it’s forms.
Seems to be a default setting in me, though it gets less and not as often.
Then BAM :boom: out of nowhere I’m faced with a decision on how to proceed.
This becomes a good time to breathe and turn it over once again.
PEACE

6 Likes

I’m not always right with my opinion and I have to accept that. It’s hard for me to have a good discussion with someone because I tend to think that they don’t like me, just because they have another opinion on something.

5 Likes