Checking in as often as I have to to NOT RELAPSE!

Well done everyone!!

Thank u :slight_smile:

Congratulations on amazing 60 days!!!

This thread is incredible. You’re doing amazing work & you’re very inspiring :yellow_heart: you have such a beautiful & encouraging nature
Day 6 drug free. Day 4 no tobacco.

I struggle with my fears too. I struggle to contemplate/establish a future i can be proud of. I know i want to study so i can better my working life and build self sufficiency. But i get stuck in circles not knowing what to do or how to move forward. Then I’m scared I’m wasting even more time

1 Like

Thanks for that hehe :slight_smile: I just try to be open i guess. Well done for 6 days!! And on the smokes too. That’s hard work. Tobacco was harder than drugs for me tbh. I respect ur struggle. And oooooh gosh do i understand u on the future thing. It’s insane. I just wanna hop off the cycle haha like hey I’m in a cycle…hop…yaaaay freedom!! Haha apparently it’s that simple. Not easy. But simple. One thing I have learned is to do the opposite of what u feel like doing. Feel like using? Dont. Feel like staying in bed? Get up. Feel like staying inside? Go for a walk. It’s real difficult but it is as simple as that. I make a list so i dont have to thi k and when I feel stuck i just pick something on my list. Otherwise I over think! I feel ya. Stay strong! U have got This!!!

2 Likes

I posted this on another page and thought a couple people here might find this helpful so i added it here too underneath.

“This is just my opinion - well what I have learned from my doctors anyway - the brain is designed to be as efficient as possible so it builds pathways/shortcuts in ur head for things so it doesnt have to think too much to make every little decision. For me I smoked when happy smoked when sad smoked when bored smoked as a reward smoked to unwind smoked before a party smoked on lazy days…there are more but these are the main ones I can think of. Now because I have been smoking that long in all of these situations my brain has built (what it thinks makes it efficient) neuro-pathways(or shortcuts) for when these things happen. So essentially It’s on auto pilot. It’s taken 10 years to solidify these pathways which is why the brain just goes there in any of those situations. Just because i realise its bad for me and that I want to stop. Eventhough I have an extensive list of all the reasons I want to stop…that doesn’t automatically get rid of those pathways. U have to redo the pathways. And it takes time. I’m still working on it. Imagine a field of grass and a path in the grass is ur decision or reaction. Atm certain situations equal “smoke weed”. Because uve been walking that pathway for so long its a solid path. What u have to do is create a new pathway for each situation. And as u walk the new path more and more it gives the old pathway a chance to regrow and eventually dissapear. So for me…being upset is a major trigger. My “upset” situation has lead to “smoke weed” for 10 years. So now i have a shower. Do some art. A fun activity i enjoy. Now, at the start it will not seem like a good alternative and ur brain will hate u and try as hard as it can to hang on to its original “efficient” shortcuts. But u have to push through. And everytime u walk the new path itll get easier like walking a path into the grass. It’s not fun, but u literally have to reshape ur brain. And it takes work. But I know u want it and i know u can do It!!! Make a list of things u enjoy (that dont include weed) and everytime u get that urge to run that easy path, pick something off ur list and start creating those new pathways . Make the choice. Thoughts dont have to equal decisions.”

7 Likes

Checking in on Day 93. Been sick as! Hoping to get better soon. Happy about passing 3 months. Feels good man! Feels good.

2 Likes

I will say i am feeling mega tempted. Just a phase though.

That’s what I’ve done in the past thought oh well I’m out on Saturday ill have one and end up having loads. Final straw was 1 after work then finding myself sat alone in tears in a pub I absolutely would never set foot in sober. My partner face timed me and it made him cry when he got off the phone. I must have looked a sad mess. I do have a drink problem. I didn’t drink everyday but I know lots of occasions now when I haven’t been able to stop so realised i cant keep kidding myself it is a one off.
Enough. Stay strong the support on here is amazing.
Day 3 for me. I work in a pub on a Wednesday night (tonight doing a quiz night) soft drinks only.

2 Likes

I’m in same situation. I didn’t realize I had such a bad problem till I found myself in a relationship with an amazing man. When I drank I would become nasty… sarcastic… Just bad attitude and voice tone. I had to stop for first time in my life
9 days. It’s hard… but I justkeep telling myself I would rather be respected than wasted

3 Likes

You guys are doing so Well!!! Amazing amazing amazing!!! Keep up the good work soldiers!!! We are all soldiers of sobriety! Keep fighting! We may lose some battles but at the end of the day we have all the potential to win the war!!! Go get it champions!

3 Likes

I agree. I had a partner who liked a drink and found on occasion I kept going even after he stopped. The amazing man I’m with now isn’t a drinker. Maybe the odd one once in a while as he’s very sporty. I don’t want to look a wasted mess. The pub I was in was bad and rough but I didn’t care I just sat when one by one friends left and carried on alone. Turning point & few reality checks needed. Keep going we are all doing great.

Love this, thank you. Definitely creating new paths and letting old ones ‘re-grow’ as they no longer serve me. 39 days sober today from alcohol and 100 days from cigarettes! Feeling really happy and proud of myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonderful!!!

1 Like

Something that’s been on my mind. I think sometimes the attraction to substances is their reliability. U know if you use you get high, or drunk or whatever fix you’re after. Yesterday I realised I have no family, no friends who can come to my rescue when I’m in distress nothing I can rely on. If me and my bf were to break up my world would be crushed and I would be alone. My first thought was to use. And I stopped and thought for a second…its been 3 months…why now all of a sudden am I so eager to use? Then i realised its because it’s reliable when it comes to soothing me in the moment. It’s the best friend that always answers. It’s the mom that always comforts. It’s the dad that helps you show courage. It’s the fallback when you feel like shit and can’t rely on anything. For a second I allowed this to be the perfect excuse to use. I have no one and drugs are my most reliable friend…but then i fast forwarded in my head to what would happen if i used and became dependent again and it hit me…id be high but still alone. I’d be comforted and still alone. I’d be courageous…but still…alone. It made me quite heartbroken, even more so than i was to start, to think of what a tragic life i have that drugs are my only source of reliability…i don’t like that. So instead of using i decided to create reliable circumstances instead. Rely on my God for a source of love and comfort. Rely on my self to be courageous enough not to take the easy route and rather stay sober and deal with the reality that I am alone. To nurture the few relationships i do have to strengthen them and my confidence in their sustainability. To create parts in my life that will move me forward rather than backwards. And most of all to have faith that in some way i am loved and needed and that good choices will dictate my future; keeping at the front of my mind that no one ever promised this would be easy. And the fact that I can think before i act already shows its worth it. I just have to keep looking forward and not back. Peace my sober soldiers. :v:🕆:heart:

4 Likes

Sooooo officially over a hundred days today. 101 days sober…i don’t really know how it happened. It’s been crazy and I’m amazed i have lasted this long but i am so grateful for all the support to get me here. Still struggling with over eating and might go to a meeting…not sure yet. Been volenteering…and actually sticking to it which is awesome. But yeah. Here I am 101 days. Cray Cray…🕆

7 Likes

That’s a really good explanation :smiley:

Morning all!!! Checking in at 133 days! Actually cannot believe it. I’ve had a few very close calls this month but I have used all the techniques possible to stay clean! I’m so excited. I just wanted to share with everyone that this sobriety thing is so difficult. It really is. And honestly at the start of this journey there was no light at the end of the tunnel for me to look forward to cause I couldn’t see it from where I was. And even though it’s been a 1 step forward and 2 steps back deal, taking it one day at a time, one hour at a time if necessary has got me further down the tunnel and the light is very bright! I just wanted to say keep at it. Keep trying even if u fail a million times get up a million and one times. Want it badly enough to keep trying even when it feels impossible. Just sending everyone love today and you are all in my prayers! Stay strong sober soldiers!!! We may lose some battles but this war is ours!!! :kissing_heart::kissing_heart::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: God bless!!

8 Likes

Yay! 133 days is superb!! I have been watching and following along on your journey, and girl you are amazing!! I hope to be as strong as you in my sobriety! Keep up the great work, and dont forget to get it girl!!!

1 Like

We all have a lion in us! For now mine is roaring but sometimes it cowers like a kitty! Uve got it just as much as I do. And vigilance is key. I don’t for one second try to think I can trust myself. That and Gods grace has got me this far. But yeah I have had to accept that I can’t handle it. It sucks but I will get hooked too easily again to anything I have to be on guard. But it does get easier! Much love girl u got this!!!

3 Likes