Checking in daily to maintain focus #20

The first step is…We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable…
The major part of working step 1 is by walking into an AA meeting and asking for help and finding a sponsor. Your sponsor can then help you through the steps. They may have you finish step 1 by making lists.

11 Likes

Day 254~Checking in sober, happy, and peaceful today. I’m learning the tough but valuable lesson that only I’m in control of my happiness and peace. Allowing others to take space up in my head and control my thoughts and some case actions is no longer something I want to entertain or allow. It’s been years of worrying about things that are simply outta my control. Not everyone will react and do as I would and that’s ok. As long as I’m working on myself and making sure I protect my peace everything else will work itself out. I’m grateful that each day I’m continuing to peel back the layers and become who I’m truly meant to be. Nothing feels better than being your true authentic self. Much love and always keep trying.

:v:t3::heart::blush:

28 Likes

@Lisa07 I don’t like meetings. All the meetings I’ve ever been too are too religion focussed. I have complicated religious beliefs. Doesn’t work out for anyone. I tried many many times.

Jump on the zoom meetings here then… Meetings do work. You just have to find one that works for you.

3 Likes

Nothing works unless you make it work. It’s that simple…

4 Likes

AA is not religious, it’s spiritual. When they refer to a higher power, it can be anything that you feel is greater than yourself. It could simply be the people in the room or even nature. It does not have to be god. You need to try different meetings until you find one you like. You asked about step 1 so I assumed you were doing AA. My apologies.
Here’s a link for other resources:
Resources for our recovery

8 Likes

I totally hear you on this one. It’s not easy by any means when worries about others actions, opinions etc. have consumed most of my life. This one has helped me through some tough days lately. . .

7 Likes

Checking in on day 296
After watching The Way Back with Ben Affleck
Someone on here recommended it. Sorry I can’t remember.
But whoever it was. Thank you :pray:t2:
Good movie. A bit brutal, but worth a watch. And wifey made it all the way through the movie.
Have a sober Sunday y’all
:pray:t2::heart:

22 Likes

You don’t have to be religious to do a.a… but clearly thinking there isn’t anything better then you is why you keep failing. When you put that ego aside. Realise there is something greater then you, and find a higher power and accept that then maybe it will work… just talking from experience, I thought I was the greatest and I didn’t need any help, I didn’t need meetings. I didn’t need a higher power, bc I was the greatest and coolest and could figure it on my own. Yeah well I failed every damn time that way. Nothing changes if nothing changes

13 Likes

Checking in - Day 6. After tonight I have a couple of days off. Meeting with my sponsor tomorrow for our first real in depth conversation. I’ve been calling her daily to check in sober this week and I have been doing the reading. I feel a little nervous about the meeting, but I think it will be good. For fun I plan on building a fort in my bedroom tomorrow and watching movies… yes that is right a fort! I’m a grown ass lady but something about building a fort with blankets, pillows, and lights still sounds like some good old fashioned simple fun to me :blush: Happy Sober Sunday :yellow_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::dizzy:

22 Likes

401 Days. Things are finally starting to look up for me. Hubby is coming up on a week sober and he’s serious about it this time. We’ll, I guess he has to be if he wants to keep his family. Yes, I gave him the ultimatum because I couldn’t continue living in hell. My daughter deserves better than what she was getting and so do I. Now that he knows it’s us or the booze, he’s giving sobriety his all. Attending AA meetings every day and sometimes twice a day. The last few days have been pleasant. Fingers crossed.

30 Likes

Great to hear this Lisa. Must of been a really hard decision. Or maybe after a year of sobriety it wasn’t so hard. But if it was an ultimatum that that’s really hard cuz you got to follow through. I really hope it all works out for your family. You deserve it.
Praying for y’all.
I hope he really wants this. For whatever reason to get him started is a good reason.
:pray:t2::heart:

6 Likes

Checking in on day 1123 of sobriety. Grateful to secretary a 12x12 book study tonight. Always learning from those that paved the path of sobriety that came before me. :heart:

19 Likes

Hoping for the best for you all. A week is a big deal especially if he is getting support independent of you through AA. Stay strong, I’m sure you’ll ask for help if you need it (but still…don’t forget we’re here if you need!). :heart:

1 Like

I think i did. Lol. :grin:

1 Like

@apes2020 I didn’t know you had zoom meetings here. I am fairly new here. Probably the second or third time I have used this app. Thanks for the tip. How do I join these online meetings? When are they held?

@Lisa07 actually the problem is that I live in a very beautiful and peaceful part of the world. But it’s also quite remote. I have a superb connection. I am a freelance software dev. But the problem is that AA meetings or any other meetings are rare. The only one around has some religious fanatics I don’t want to meet. I would prefer virtual meetings anytime. Life is too short to spend with religious nutcases.

@CapriciousCapricorn ego isn’t the problem. The problem is after a few weeks of abstaining I become confident that I can have that one drink. It starts with one and you know the rest of the story. Same story with minor plot variations. But the end is always the same. I rinse repeat and get back to day 1.

@anon60334405 I liked AA. I liked the philosophy. But the nutcases in my AA meetings were a big put off. They would get into prayer huddles every few minutes. No sir. No way. Not for me. I would love to attend sensible meetings with normal people but I dont have any near where I live.

AA meetings with normal people? You are in recovery for your self. Saying that you want meetings with normal people is asking for something that will just not happen. Nothing in this world is normal and you need to go within to start your healing and not focus on things like not wanting nut cases or non normal people around in meetings. Judgement gets you no where.

9 Likes
  1. Coffee. I got an extra hour of sleep which helped in feeling rested. But where’s the daylight? Hm. Well OK. At work I get to test my colleagues and myself today as we have one resident and one colleague positive. Going to be fun. Since I’m sober and clean at least I have a steady hand now. Have a good Sunday all. Love from Amsterdam.

@M-be-free49 It took me 7 years to recently unpack the stuff I took from my mum’s place after she passed. Unpacking was a nice experience actually. Hugs.
32 Likes

Why aren’t you attending virtual meetings then @manishc? They’re all over the internet. All i hear are excuses and they won’t get you sober.

5 Likes

@Lisa07 virtual meetings it is then. Did you have any that you can suggest. I know a few too. I will attend one. Fingers crossed.

@apes2020 I don’t mean to sound judgemental. I get it. Everyone has problems. AA meetings are for people with problems. I have my own set. Money, family, kids, my book, anxiety about the future. To top it all I also have BPD and PTSD and I am supposed to be on medication. But seriously, I have just one meeting nearby and those dudes are scary. There was this one guy who kept sending me Bible quotes several times a day, every day for a week. Before I blocked him. I mean seriously. I need to attend meetings but no stalkers pls. :joy:

@CapriciousCapricorn hmmm. Interesting. Thanks I will read more.

2 Likes