Checking in daily to maintain focus #31 (Part 2)

I’m here, I’m alive and I’m sober.
Day 323

I’m not sure how I should feel about today.
Y’all know my former best, oldest and closest friend right? The guy who started doing drugs again.
I wrote about him yesterday or the day before. He’s been having some trouble with his girlfriend. And totally screwed that relationship. And he’s been chasing us for day to get a babysitter because his Ma has been really ill.

His Ma passed yesterday evening. And this morning he called us because he wanted a new lock for his house. Because he was afraid that his girlfriend would come and steal his stuff while he was at his sister’s place for the funeral arrangements.

We had a lock for him so he quickly came over here. Telling us that he lost his glasses in the lake last week. Asking if he could borrow money for new ones. This guy has really expensive prescription glasses so we told him that we don’t have that kind of money. While he was here his Pa who lives like a 15 min car ride from our house called and said he’ll lend him the money, if he came over for a quick visit to pick them up.

My friend ofc had his son, an 8 y/o boy with him here. Which y’all know I completely adore, amd sometimes wish it was my kid,even if he has a heck of a temper. I feel so much for this little boy. When they arrived I could tell that my friend was really high, and at first I didn’t even wanted to go out and talk to him. But I we’ve been friends for so long, going through so much. And both of us just lost a parent so I couldn’t just ignore it. I sent the kid in to play with my boys. Hugged my friend and talked to him deeply for a few minutes.
But it was almost impossible to get a normal conversation.

When he was about to leave, I just got a feeling that I didn’t want any of them to go. I felt it so strong that I almost got ill thinking about it. My friend was unstoppable and in the moment when he was about to call for his little boy to jump in the car. My boys and his boy starts to laugh hysterically because they where playing. So I begged him to let the boy stay and play for the day. But I also told him that I had no intention of keeping the boy for weeks so he better get someone to pick him up during the evening.
And once again I asked him not to drive especially not without glasses. I said that we could have his Pa over here instead.

But my friend insisted on driving, and I couldn’t proof that he really was high so i didn’t stop him.

About five minutes after he left he called us to let us know that he’d been in a car crash, and totally wrecked the car. The back of the car, where his boy usually sits was just mash. We tried to ask him if he was alright but we didn’t get an answer. And during those minutes we had the firefighters driving by on our road with full sirens really quickly. They are the first responders her. We barely hung up before one of my husband’s bosses called. The boss is married to my friends sister. And he had just called them to say that he crashed, and that the boy is at our place.
During that call we had both the ambulance and the police driving by our house, also in full speed with sirens.

We talked to the boss, and he said that my friend apparently had speeded a lot, considering the miles he drove during that short amount of time. And that when he talked to him this morning he had revealed that he’d taken a lot of drugs during the night, and some amphetamines during this morning to stay awake.

We aren’t sure about my friends condition, but I’m sure that they’ll take his license, and probably put him to jail for this. Hopefully hell get into rehab to.

I’m 100 % there was a sign from the universe, call it intuition or whatever that made me keep the boy here. Even if I’ve said for days that I refuse to babysit him.
If I hadn’t insisted on keeping him, he might have been dead by now.
At the same time I really regret that we didn’t force my friend to stay here, by taking the keys or whatever. It might have saved him to.

I haven’t told the little boy yet. And I don’t know what will happened to him. But me and my husband have agreed that if they need somewhere to place him temporarily we’re going to volunteer so he can keep going to school where he have all his friends. And stays at a place that he knows.

Happy Monday everyone, I’ll keep you updated as soon as I know more.

27 Likes

Nice number! :confetti_ball::tada::confetti_ball:

2 Likes

God, what a situation. Glad the boy is ok, but what will happen to the dad? And how will the family deal with the death and the police, etc? Just awful.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t know. We don’t even know what condition he’s in for now. We’re waiting for updates. I’m pretty sure the father is going to jail or rehab after this. Rehab would probably be the best. It’s a horrible situation for the family. And I really hope it all works out to the best for all of them.

5 Likes

Congratulations Lea! That is awesome! You are an inspiration and one of the leaders here I try to keep up with!

1 Like

Welcome Holly! Here you’ll find lots and lots of very supportive, funny, helpful people! Read, Read, Read and post when you feel like it! Charlie

3 Likes

Good morning friends - day 247! Didn’t want to get out of bed, again, this morning. Then hit my desk to find out that there was no internet/wi-fi in the house. Kind of needed for working from home, so I went about checking things and restarting all of my boxes (gateway, router, wifi points, etc…). After about 30 minutes, finally got things back up and running. The global financial system survived me not being online on time this morning!

Have an awesome day! I am going to do mine sober!

24 Likes

Quick update.
My friend was released from the hospital, he’s okey. They’ve done a lot of blood tests to check for drugs, he was just here with his father Aka the kids grandpa. Picked up the kid and went home.

When it was just me and my friend indoors he said to me that he’s giving up. I’ve got a bad feeling about this, and I really didn’t wanted to leave the boy to him. It doesn’t feel right.
But on the other hand, I’ve got no right to keep him either.

16 Likes

Fist full of 5’s there , fabulous work :muscle:

1 Like

Welcome, fabulous place here to start…

2 Likes

Hey everyone, checking in on day 400! I think that’s a pretty awesome way to start the week. I hope everybody has a productive and sober Monday!

22 Likes

@CATMANCAM thank you for your encouragement. Day 25 and tense because I know in other occasions I failed at this point. Working as much I can every day my recovery

8 Likes

@MrsOdh praying for the difficult situation. May you receive a light yo understand what it’s the best thing to do

1 Like

Your sobriety proved invaluable this morning. Well done on doing your best in such a difficult situation. I hope everything works out for everyone.

2 Likes

Day 355
Haven’t been on here much the past few days and I am too far behind to catch up on everyone’s posts. I keep trying to read through them but I have too much on my mind and I can’t focus.

I’ve been thinking about dropping out of my bike race next month, or at least dropping down from the 480 to the 240. My brain has been trying to talk me out of the race for a month or so. I kept plodding on with my training ignoring the doubt but it started wearing me down. My knee and hip issues are especially concerning. Before now they haven’t been an issue when I’m on the bike so I wasn’t in a rush to get the mri needed to confirm and treat the issues. Saturday I went for a 130 mile ride. Pedaled up the big rolling hills 65 miles to Lake Superior. Had planned to take a long winding gravel route back that would have made it a 150 mile day but my knee was giving me a lot trouble with locking up and pain on the bike out of nowhere so I took some extra time stretching and took the same way back home that I came from to take off a few miles.

I cried on the way home when I was convinced my brain had won and talked me into dropping from my race. The sun was so hot and no shade on the road, headwinds, relentless rolling hills and I just couldn’t imagine going on another day and a half like that the way I will need to for the race.

The worst part of it is that my training has really paid off and other than the knee and mind stuff I felt amazing. It went so much better than the other times I have done that ride. So yesterday (Sunday) my brain went the opposite way and tried to convince me I’m overreacting, that I can do it and just need to calm down. I’m torn and just trying to get in for my mri now to see if there’s something to minimize my knee pain and move forward as planned.

I can’t shake this doubt though and it’s eating away at me.

28 Likes

Day 402 clean and sober today. I’m really going to step up today and confront them about the job. All last week they said they would call me at the end of the day and they never did. It’s not like I know what I’m going to do for work if I don’t get the job but I don’t think it’s fair to keep leaving me hanging. If they were still waiting for the background check to come back then they could’ve said that but they didn’t. My whole life is on hold it seems. I’ve already started putting in applications for other peer support positions though and will follow up with them today. Have a wonderful day today, love you guys!!! :sunglasses::metal:t2:

29 Likes

That is an amazing accomplishment!! I don’t think I could ride a bike 10 miles lol great job!!! :sunglasses::metal:t2:

3 Likes

65 days: Good morning, day, or night, amigos! I’m gaining some very important lessons from needing to ask for help with this wrist situation. I had to learn how to stop saying sorry every time I needed help. I had to stop being so stubborn and just say “can you please help me.” I had to focus on gratitude a whole lot more and say thank you. I had to admit that I wasn’t “ok” sometimes and that it was alright to not be ok. I had to accept that my husband is busy and doing his best and I had to let go of my expectations for certain things like a clean kitchen :scream: And I had to cry some tears in frustration but then shake it off and let go. I’m sober, I’m pretty happy honestly and I’m finding joy in things like my walks with Lupe and my garden, chats on the phone and messages from friends. Sending some grateful love your way today, amigos. :heartpulse:

27 Likes

Good morning everyone. Yesterday was my sons 18th birthday and I got to see it sober, I didn’t drink the feelings away that eww wee I had no idea were going to happen. And I let my son become a man with class THAT IS THANKS TO THE PEOPLE HERE!! I just got sober not even a month ago and I’m having to for real let my baby boy go. He’s lived with his two best friends for about six months now. But anyway it’s the feeling that came with it that truly caught me off guard. Well I don’t know about anything else but I know I went to sleep for the 26th time last night and woke up sober for the 27th time today and I am so blessed for that

29 Likes

I’m sure there will be more races Jess. You listen to your body. Don’t fuck up your knee and/or your hip. I missed opportunities for great sporting achievements in the past due to injury. I know the frustration and I know the feeling of wanting to do stuff regardless of the consequences. But now I’m very happy I didn’t force it back then and now I’m still going pretty strong at 55 years old. Our lives are just like endurance races. We only got one body. We have to take care of it and we have to listen to it, just like we listened when we quit our DOC’s. You take care of you lady.

11 Likes